16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 15:12:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[226] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[107] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[46] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[43] Signage - not making it easy ...
[9] IETs at Melksham
[8] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 42
  Print  
Author Topic: Okehampton-Tavistock. Discussion on reopening and potential use as a diversionary route  (Read 270542 times)
Rapidash

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: November 24, 2017, 22:21:14 »

Which of the branches is taking a hit to frequency for that then? Exeter isn't exactly awash with surplus stock, is it?
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #481 on: November 24, 2017, 22:44:56 »

I assumed it will be 143/150 released by turbos.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #482 on: November 24, 2017, 23:15:59 »

Which of the branches is taking a hit to frequency for that then? Exeter isn't exactly awash with surplus stock, is it?

I assumed it will be 143/150 released by turbos.

The rolling stock situation is dynamic in current times ...

From Exeter, all the 150/1 units and half of the 153 are being lost over the next three months.  Most of the 150/0 and 150/2 units that operate Bristol based service at present, and most of the 158s will be operating services from Exeter and west thereof, together with the 143s,  150/2 units already based there, and remaining 153s.    Also incoming will be a drip feed of short HSTs (High Speed Train) (very slow drip to start with, I suspect).   On longer distance services, class 802 will be phased in as full length HSTs are faded out, and perhaps some class 800 may bite into odd services that don't go too far west.

I would be very interested to see a time series of month v no of units (or) number of carriages in each class. I'm sure someone has one, but I haven't seen it published.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #483 on: November 25, 2017, 23:32:59 »

I would be very interested to see a time series of month v no of units (or) number of carriages in each class. I'm sure someone has one, but I haven't seen it published.

Mark Hopwood probably has one.  Wink

However, as we may find him rather less elusive than Mark these days, may I invite our respected Coffee Shop forum member RichardB to comment here?

Chris from Nailsea.  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: November 26, 2017, 07:44:46 »

Thanks Chris.

Let's just say that the poster in Okehampton is a bit on the optimistic side and is just one indication of how keen local people are to get the service and Okehampton Parkway station in.

The DfT» (Department for Transport - about), GWR (Great Western Railway), NR» (Network Rail - home page), Devon County Council are all looking at how both can happen.  The push to get the service and station is being led by the OkeRail Forum and OkeRail CIC (Community Interest Company ), both of which have wide support locally and far out into the area that Okehampton would provide a railhead for (eg Bude and Launceston, among others).

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #485 on: November 27, 2017, 14:57:13 »

Many thanks for your well-informed comments, RichardB.  Wink

For the benefit of any of our readers here who are particularly interested, may I also offer a link to the Okerail website - 'OkeRAIL Forum & CIC (Community Interest Company ), Restoring Okehampton to Exeter rail services - and rail links to the UK (United Kingdom)'.

Best wishes and good luck to them in their campaign.  Cheesy

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: November 27, 2017, 15:09:01 »

More power to their elbows!

I imagine that a daily service is not necessarily conditional on the completion of the new parkway station, however beneficial that might be. In the route map on the poster, only Sampford Courtney and Crediton are mentioned, with the latter given as the interchange for Barnstaple. Does this mean that there are no plans to stop at Yeoford or Newton St Cyres?   
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: November 27, 2017, 15:14:16 »

There's no [usable] platform at Yeoford.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: November 27, 2017, 15:58:42 »

I'm assuming the cost of recommissioning the second platform at Yeoford (and installing a footbridge) would be too great. A reinstated junction at Coleford would enable the single platform at Yeoford to be used but a double crossover would create a long 4m + double track loop all the way to Crediton. 
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #489 on: November 27, 2017, 17:11:13 »

I'm assuming the cost of recommissioning the second platform at Yeoford (and installing a footbridge) would be too great. A reinstated junction at Coleford would enable the single platform at Yeoford to be used but a double crossover would create a long 4m + double track loop all the way to Crediton. 

Playing Devil's advocate here ... what's the economic case for an Okehampton service calling at Yeoford?     Currently a request stop on the hourly Exeter to Barnstaple service, (14 calls in each direction - so up to 28 train calls) with under 25 passengers joining and 25 passengers leaving each day.    If there's no stop on the Okehampton trains, 2 single tracks from Crediton will continue to work, won't it?

If there was major development planned at Yeoford (Yeoford Garden City), if there was a big potential traffic from Okehampton to Barnstaple (change at Yeoford), or if a Okehampton to Yeoford shuttle were planned for quiet times of day with a change there, then each and any of those would help improve the case for station investment.   The case will also be helped when the line's extended beyond Okehampton to Bere Alston, making for a dynamic loop from Crediton to Yeoford.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: November 27, 2017, 23:06:38 »

All valid points, Grahame. I'd say the main attraction of a second platform at Yeoford (or a junction at Coleford enabling Okehampton services to use the existing platform) would be to avoid an unnecessary 9 miles to Crediton and back for passengers interested in getting to stations to Barnstaple. 

eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #491 on: November 28, 2017, 10:43:35 »

Are there many potential passengers wanting to go from Okehampton to stations to Barnstaple?
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #492 on: November 28, 2017, 13:11:37 »

It'd be a small traffic flow in both directions, I imagine, but it'll be even smaller with an unnecessary 25 minutes+ added to the journey time (assuming connections could be timed to avoid a wait at Yeoford).

RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: November 28, 2017, 14:24:59 »

The bigger problem is the amount of money it would cost to bring the disused platform back into use and provide access to it.  The platform is low and in poor condition with cable trunking along it - you could be looking at £500k plus.  Can't see that sort of money being available for Yeoford in anything like the short/medium term.

If it were decided to reinstate Coleford Junction and make Crediton - there double track again, completely different ballgame, of course.  Not sure that's where that kind of money (if available) would be best spent to improve the Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) Line though.  There is a working party looking at these issues and drawing up a draft Line Plan for the line at the moment. 
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: November 29, 2017, 09:01:47 »

Speaking to Nick Ferrari on LBC this morning, Chris Grayling stated quite categorically that a trial service will be implemented between Okehampton & Exeter.
No timescale given of course but I live in hope of a prompt start.
Do the relevant experts on this forum know if such a service would require any signalling upgrades between Crediton & Cowley Bridge?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 42
  Print  

Jump to: