Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 09:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:11:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 42
  Print  
Author Topic: Okehampton-Tavistock. Discussion on reopening and potential use as a diversionary route  (Read 268775 times)
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #525 on: November 10, 2018, 09:21:54 »

No apologies for bumping this after last night.

The Dawlish line has always been prone to weather disruption but this is now becoming a regular winter event, one which is almost predictable.

Forget Network Rail telling us we need a new double track mainline. All we need between Crediton and Bere Alston is a single track with a passing loop at Tavistock (and perhaps Okehampton) and the reinstatement of the junction north of Yeoford at Coleford to allow for a dynamic passing loop controlled by Crediton box. This should allow for one train per hour to be diverted in each direction.

Rest of the year run Sprinters between Exeter and Plymouth for the local and tourist trade. Suspend these services during diversions and lay on coaches for the much smaller number of passengers making much shorter journeys.

Yes, we need a new viaduct at Mellon and yes trackbed will have to be prised back from landowners and some buildings knocked down, but its not exactly HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)), is it?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #526 on: November 10, 2018, 10:11:40 »

The Dawlish line has always been prone to weather disruption but this is now becoming a regular winter event, one which is almost predictable.

Forget Network Rail telling us we need a new double track mainline. All we need between Crediton and Bere Alston is a single track with a passing loop at Tavistock (and perhaps Okehampton) and the reinstatement of the junction north of Yeoford at Coleford to allow for a dynamic passing loop controlled by Crediton box. This should allow for one train per hour to be diverted in each direction.

Rest of the year run Sprinters between Exeter and Plymouth for the local and tourist trade. Suspend these services during diversions and lay on coaches for the much smaller number of passengers making much shorter journeys.

Yes, we need a new viaduct at Mellon and yes trackbed will have to be prised back from landowners and some buildings knocked down, but its not exactly HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)), is it?

And how does that help the combined populations of Teignbridge, Torbay and the South Hams? That's 400,000 odd people cut off from access to the railway, while trains do their double reversal and long detour to serve Plymouth and Cornwall.

Dawlish Avoiding Line keeps everyone in Devon & Cornwall, who currently has access to rail, connected.

Okehampton - Tavistock should reopen too. But its raison d'etre for opening should not be as a diversionary route. It should be costed on the new traffic it has the potential to generate. Costed on the benefits a regular passenger service would being to the folk of West Devon. No benefit/cost weighting should be given to it for use as a diversionary route during disruption. You can survey and predict passenger numbers for a new line. You can't survey and predict (beyond short term weather forecasts) meteorological disruption.

Your plan would means buses and coaches replacing the local services along the LSWR (London South Western Railway) route during disruption, in addition to the rail replacement fleet required for South Devon, Teignbridge, Torbay, and the South Hams. TOCs (Train Operating Company) struggle to source such vehicles at short notice as it is.

Trying to sell the new line to folk, but curtailing the local service when the coastal route closes, won't make the reopening that attractive.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2018, 10:21:09 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Southernman

View Profile
« Reply #527 on: November 10, 2018, 11:05:29 »

During closure of the main line the good people of Torbay etc have no rail service anyway! I am of the firm opinion that the 'northern' route should be re-opened as a local, single tracked railway (with passing loops as previously suggested) which can be used as an alternative by the people of Plymouth and Cornwall, also benefitting residents of Devon & Cornwall who are vast distances from any railway. Don't forget its not just high tides that cause closures - also engineering works and emergencies.

The old GWR (Great Western Railway) scheme (all land sold off I believe) by-passed Dawlish & Teignmouth.

The Borders Railways has shown what can be done - and this is for locals only (until the full route is re-opened).

It is only a matter of time before another long-term closure of the Dawlish route happens, however hard Network Rail try. Building out into the sea I hear is now not the preferred option, just one of them.

Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #528 on: November 10, 2018, 11:06:32 »

And how does that help the combined populations of Teignbridge, Torbay and the South Hams? That's 400,000 odd people cut off from access to the railway, while trains do their double reversal and long detour to serve Plymouth and Cornwall.

Dawlish Avoiding Line keeps everyone in Devon & Cornwall, who currently has access to rail, connected.

Okehampton - Tavistock should reopen too. But its raison d'etre for opening should not be as a diversionary route. It should be costed on the new traffic it has the potential to generate. Costed on the benefits a regular passenger service would being to the folk of West Devon. No benefit/cost weighting should be given to it for use as a diversionary route during disruption. You can survey and predict passenger numbers for a new line. You can't survey and predict (beyond short term weather forecasts) meteorological disruption.

Your plan would means buses and coaches replacing the local services along the LSWR (London South Western Railway) route during disruption, in addition to the rail replacement fleet required for South Devon, Teignbridge, Torbay, and the South Hams. TOCs (Train Operating Company) struggle to source such vehicles at short notice as it is.

Trying to sell the new line to folk, but curtailing the local service when the coastal route closes, won't make the reopening that attractive.

Many diversions would happen late at night when the local services have ceased, and anyway 802s could stop at Okehampton and Tavistock when diverted, then stick the handful for Bow etc in a taxi. A passing loop at Bere Alston would allow the Gunnislake services to continue in some fashion.

We don’t need to cut the existing route, as I firmly believe the Dartmoor route would generate quite substantial tourist numbers and not insignificant local usage. Certainly enough to keep a 158 busy.

In time, rising sea levels will make some sort of remodelling of the coastal route necessary, but that is some time away.

The time taken to reopen the Dartmoor line would be sufficient to order and build new trains or to benefit from the electrification cascade.

Welsh lines and the Borders line have been reopened - it is feasible.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #529 on: November 10, 2018, 11:22:02 »

Welsh lines and the Borders line have been reopened - it is feasible.

Funded by the Welsh and Scottish assemblies. The English government is not particularly interested unless it benefits London.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #530 on: November 10, 2018, 11:47:12 »

During closure of the main line the good people of Torbay etc have no rail service anyway!

Which is precisely why they need a rail alternative to the coastal route that doesn't completely bypass them. Users of Newton Abbot, Torquay, Paignton and Totnes would be delighted to learn that sparser populated areas of Devon get a rail service during disruption, while they are consigned to buses and coaches.

The need for a solution to the frequent coastal route disruption is not some time away. Dawlish Avoiding Line, Now!

Too reiterate. I'm not either/or. I'm just against promoting and costing the LSWR (London South Western Railway) as a diversionary route. And I firmly believe that any call on funding has to first go to protecting and enhancing the current and considerable rail passenger flows. Any buses or coaches needed should be reserved solely for serving Dawlish. Even Teignmouth can keep a rail service during sea wall related disruption, with a shuttle from Newton Abbot served by connecting services off the DAL.

I appreciate that I may be in a minority in the rail enthusiast community, with its large supply of rose tinted spectacles. But one has to look first at which option is of more benefit to more people.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #531 on: November 10, 2018, 13:33:07 »

Time for another round of studies, reviews and consultations I suspect. Cheaper than actually doing anything.

Have newt breeding and bat nesting been considered yet ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #532 on: November 10, 2018, 13:52:48 »

During closure of the main line the good people of Torbay etc have no rail service anyway!

Which is precisely why they need a rail alternative to the coastal route that doesn't completely bypass them. Users of Newton Abbot, Torquay, Paignton and Totnes would be delighted to learn that sparser populated areas of Devon get a rail service during disruption, while they are consigned to buses and coaches.

The need for a solution to the frequent coastal route disruption is not some time away. Dawlish Avoiding Line, Now!

Too reiterate. I'm not either/or. I'm just against promoting and costing the LSWR (London South Western Railway) as a diversionary route. And I firmly believe that any call on funding has to first go to protecting and enhancing the current and considerable rail passenger flows. Any buses or coaches needed should be reserved solely for serving Dawlish. Even Teignmouth can keep a rail service during sea wall related disruption, with a shuttle from Newton Abbot served by connecting servicfes off the DAL.

I appreciate that I may be in a minority in the rail enthusiast community, with its large supply of rose tinted spectacles. But one has to look first at which option is of more benefit to more people.

With the Dawlish avoiding line, you need a very expensive tunnel which will be needed about seven days a year. With the Okehampton route you get 365 days of parkway railway access for North West Devon, North West Ciornwall, Dartmoor and the growing town of Tavistock. You also get a diversiionary route for those seven days each year that the largest city in Devon and the entire county of Cornwall are cut off.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #533 on: November 10, 2018, 14:09:22 »

No it wouldn't.  See here: http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=20630.msg251103#msg251103
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #534 on: November 10, 2018, 20:09:08 »

Too reiterate. I'm not either/or. I'm just against promoting and costing the LSWR (London South Western Railway) as a diversionary route. And I firmly believe that any call on funding has to first go to protecting and enhancing the current and considerable rail passenger flows. Any buses or coaches needed should be reserved solely for serving Dawlish. Even Teignmouth can keep a rail service during sea wall related disruption, with a shuttle from Newton Abbot served by connecting servicfes off the DAL.

With the Dawlish avoiding line, you need a very expensive tunnel which will be needed about seven days a year. With the Okehampton route you get 365 days of parkway railway access for North West Devon, North West Ciornwall, Dartmoor and the growing town of Tavistock. You also get a diversiionary route for those seven days each year that the largest city in Devon and the entire county of Cornwall are cut off.

How.....much......will......it....cost?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #535 on: November 10, 2018, 20:15:12 »

The DAL wouldn't be used for just 7 days a year. It'd become the mainline. Built to modern standards on a faster alignment to offer modest journey time improvements. The sea wall route would be rationalised to single line along the Sea Wall.

Now, if it is just 'seven days' then that's further reason to not include any benefit/cost uplift to the LSWR (London South Western Railway) route for diversions. Just as I wouldn't expect the DAL to include an uplift for the occasions when it carries traffic to Plymouth for Tavistock when the LSWR route is snowed in!

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #536 on: November 10, 2018, 20:19:21 »

A darn sight less than an unnecessary third direct route between London and Birmingham. And think of the benefit. You can get by train to any winter game at The Brickfields!  Tongue

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #537 on: November 10, 2018, 21:06:38 »

A darn sight less than an unnecessary third direct route between London and Birmingham. And think of the benefit. You can get by train to any winter game at The Brickfields!  Tongue

Good answer! But I'm still waiting for someone to give a figure of how much it's going to cost, and without that, there's no basis for a sensible or meaningful debate!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #538 on: November 10, 2018, 21:58:17 »

The most recent costings are in the 'West of Exeter Route Resilience Study' published after the 2014 washout.

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/West-of-Exeter-Route-Resilience-Study.pdf

No option scored particularly highly on benefit/cost analysis. Although one could question the methodology and political input. What is clear though is the LSWR (London South Western Railway) route as a diversion scored lower than a couple of the DAL options. And that was taking into account the new traffic the LSWR would generate.

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Southernman

View Profile
« Reply #539 on: November 10, 2018, 22:00:02 »

Good answer! But I'm still waiting for someone to give a figure of how much it's going to cost, and without that, there's no basis for a sensible or meaningful debate!

The Peninsular Rail Task Force commissioned a report and the findings of January 2016 are here:-

https://peninsularailtaskforce.files.wordpress.com/2016/05/work-stream-summary-consultation-draft-v1-5-5-16-clean-copy.pdf

Pages 23 -26. e' cost of Okehampton to Tavistock £450m for a modest scheme. There are other costs, including upgrading Crediton to Okehampton for regular use which will have to be found if that proposed reinstatement of regular services actually happens. And also the bit between Bere Alston and Tavistock which seems to grind forwards ever so slowly!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 42
  Print  

Jump to: