Delayed
11:52 London Paddington to Hereford
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 13:38:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[226] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[107] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[46] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[43] Signage - not making it easy ...
[9] IETs at Melksham
[8] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 42
  Print  
Author Topic: Okehampton-Tavistock. Discussion on reopening and potential use as a diversionary route  (Read 270531 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2008, 05:38:35 »

I saw what was posted before you deleted it all, Graham. I'm simply taking a neutral view on it.

There was no intention for the post ... just as a generally annoying thing to wind up the moderators! You see, I know stuff. Wink

I'm not sure how you can be so certain you saw all of the posts, Tom, and how you can be fully aware of the intention of each of them.  Perhaps you had better explain further.
You have a PM (that you haven't replied to).

I'm just up. I can confirm that your personal message is with me, Tom, and will be fully considered.  Either you'll get a single answer in return, or a "holding" message followed by a more considered answer if it's turning out to take longer than I anticipate to look at the issues you raise and points you make in quite a long piece of text.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2008, 06:03:35 »

see.... kind of gone off the subject yet again...

From Wikipedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dartmoor_Railway under their free documentation license - page dated 29th July, so I'm sure there are some useful additions ... I'm offering this as a starter to get us back towards the right tracks for this thread.

Dartmoor Railway closed on 18th April 2008, as the operating company, ECT, decided to pull out of railways. The passenger and maintenance operations of the railway have now been put up for sale. Freight operations over the line continue however, as the route itself is owned by Aggregate Industries who maintain a railway ballast quarry at the head of the line.

The railway was unusual amongst heritage lines, as a public service is operated from Exeter to Okehampton during the Summer, by First Great Western. The line also has an as required freight service that carrying ballast from the quarry at Meldon onto the main line.

Devon County Council are running the Sunday Explorer trains between Exeter & Okehampton, every Sunday from 25th May to 21st September, during 2008. The five return trains will be run by First Great Western on behalf of the Council, according to the Council's website, and there may also be some basic facilities at Okehampton station, run by the Friends of Dartmoor Railway.

See also http://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/Content.aspx?id=2569 for FGW (First Great Western)'s page on the subject of their summer trains on the lines, including fare options which I know I have already seen discussed on The Coffee Shop

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2008, 23:05:23 »

if anyones interested i was at okehampton today and took some photos and did a bit of video...sorry if the quality aint great also has the run down to dawlish... link below

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JYPF6pysQPg

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2008, 23:28:24 »

if anyones interested i was at okehampton today and took some photos and did a bit of video...sorry if the quality aint great also has the run down to dawlish... link below

Looks good - may I grab a couple of stills and add them into this thread - perhaps use them at the page head for a month too??

View Profile Email
« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2008, 00:00:47 »

not a problem i will email you the pics if you want?

View Profile Email
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2008, 00:12:51 »

Looks good - may I grab a couple of stills and add them into this thread - perhaps use them at the page head for a month too??

just emailed them to you, let us know if they dont come threw
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #96 on: August 25, 2008, 07:23:14 »

Many thanks ...

... as you can see, I have them, and they look great.   I'm going to suggest that we feature Okehampton for September in the top panel of the site - and perhaps tie in Tavistock as they should in the future be related.

I enjoyed watching the yourube clip at  http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=JYPF6pysQPg - of necessity of a lower picture quality than those excellent stills!

The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #97 on: August 31, 2008, 13:43:55 »

Have heard something to the effect that the Dartmoor Railway operation has been sold. More when known.

Seems the new Operations manager is a long standing railwayman known to me personnally!

Grin Grin
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 20:17:57 by The SprinterMeister » Logged

Trundling gently round the SW
signalandtelegraph
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2008, 15:18:31 »

Try this link for more info, looks like things are moving in the right direction.

http://www.friendsofdartmoorrailway.org/news.php

Bring back BR (British Rail(ways))
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 17, 2009, 19:48:21 »

Good news Smiley

Passenger services stated again over Easter on the Oke - Meldon stretch using a 'Thumper' unit.

Looks like the new owners are still up for the Yeoford interchange plus other developments:

http://www.dartmoor-railway.co.uk/

Well done to all, especially after the rather negative press coverage following ECT's pull-out.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #100 on: April 17, 2009, 21:10:29 »

Indeed, good news, Umberleigh - and thanks for posting on this topic!  Cheesy

Just for completeness, there is another topic where this news has been posted, at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=3882.msg39591#msg39591

No problem with the overlap - I just want to make sure everyone's aware of what's happening!  Wink Cheesy Grin
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 21:23:26 by chris from nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2009, 20:51:12 »

Good news Smiley

Passenger services stated again over Easter on the Oke - Meldon stretch using a 'Thumper' unit.

Looks like the new owners are still up for the Yeoford interchange plus other developments:

Well done to all, especially after the rather negative press coverage following ECT's pull-out.

I'm told the County Council have started works on the down platform at Yeoford in preperation for the services to Okehampton. There will be no FGW (First Great Western) services from Exeter this year. Change at Yeoford for some form of 25mph contrivance to Okehampton.

vacman

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2009, 21:06:22 »

Good news Smiley

I'm told the County Council have started works on the down platform at Yeoford in preperation for the services to Okehampton. There will be no FGW (First Great Western) services from Exeter this year. Change at Yeoford for some form of 25mph contrivance to Okehampton.
If stock with CDL (Central Door Locking) is used then they can run up to about 50 on the Oke branch I believe?
The SprinterMeister

Trundling round the SW

Chris64ex4@hotmail.com
View Profile Email
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2009, 21:53:23 »

If stock with CDL (Central Door Locking) is used then they can run up to about 50 on the Oke branch I believe?
You may be right, it depends on the Safety Case. Possibly 25mph only where the line runs parrallel to the Barnstaple line and DR traincrew fully passed out on Rule Book module GE/RT8000/M1 The Hamphire unit currently being used doesn't have CDL. I have no idea what rolling stock they are proposing to run to Yeoford.

devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2009, 22:20:14 »

Last time I was up there there was a vast collection of mk2fs all with CDL (Central Door Locking).

I look forward to the service starting, far better than bussing it to Okehampton.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 42
  Print  

Jump to: