What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
06:40 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 09:48:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[109] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[82] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[46] Where have I been?
[45] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[38] Death of another bus station?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 42
  Print  
Author Topic: Okehampton-Tavistock. Discussion on reopening and potential use as a diversionary route  (Read 270938 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: May 30, 2010, 15:08:47 »

Does anybody know what has happened to the service to Okehampton this year Huh.  It's in the FGW (First Great Western) timetable but does not appear to be running (today 30 May 2010 at least).  I am planning to use it next Sunday.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #211 on: May 30, 2010, 15:35:36 »

i was actually suppost to go today myself... to be honest i remember that last year that it took a few weeks for the details to be on the fgw site i should also be going next week as far as i know its running
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 30, 2010, 19:42:24 »

but does not appear to be running (today 30 May 2010 at least). 

What makes you say that?
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 31, 2010, 16:35:28 »

It was running yesterday.

Having said that, there was nothing on CIS (Customer Information System) at EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) Roll Eyes

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 31, 2010, 20:44:43 »

It was running yesterday.

Having said that, there was nothing on CIS (Customer Information System) at EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains) Roll Eyes

Thanks for that.  I was looking at the Live Departures/Arrivals Boards on the FGW (First Great Western) site and nothing was shown for the Okehampton trains (all day).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 02, 2010, 06:29:10 »

From the Crediton Gazette:

Devon and Cornwall Railways (DCR) must wait for a public consultation to finish before finding out whether it will be allowed to run six trains each weekday between Okehampton and Exeter. It was hoped that the new service, which would see trains running every 90 minutes and stopping at stations including Crediton, could start in May, with a through train from Okehampton to London operating by December. It was then stated that it would be at least late July before the service, which would benefit commuters, shoppers and tourists alike, started. But plans have been delayed further, as the Office of Rail Regulation (ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about)) is still considering DCR's application for a European passenger and freight licence.

An ORR spokesman told the Gazette: "ORR needs to verify that a company is able to operate before any licence is issued. A public consultation has begun so that interested parties can comment on the application. We cannot issue any licences until the consultation has finished, and then we will make our decision. We have already issued the necessary safety certificate, and the company will also need to negotiate track access rights so that it can use the railway."

The consultation started on Thursday, August 26, and runs until Wednesday, September 22.

Comments on the proposal to grant the applicant a licence should be sent to okiemute.mowoe@orr.gsi.gov.uk or Mute Mowoe, Office of Rail Regulation, 1 Kemble Street, London WC2B 4AN, before the closing date.

Dennis Leworthy, duty manager for Dartmoor Railway (DR), which supports trains between Okehampton and Exeter on Sundays during summer only, said that from the time that authority was given it would take ten weeks to get everything in place to run the service, including staff.

DCR, which would run the new service, and DR, which runs the heritage service and does not run trains on the national network, would both work from Okehampton and there would be some crossover in staff. Both companies are subsidiaries of British American Railway Services, a company formed by Iowa Pacific Holdings of Chicago to acquire the assets of ECT Rail Holdings in 2008.

Mr Leworthy said: "Until we get authority from the ORR we are not going to put together the wherewithal to run the service. We are hoping that we will be able to start the service this year. We are on tenterhooks. We have had enquiries about it from Exeter University and the Royal Devon & Exeter Hospital and we are keen to get going. We were anticipating that we would be able to start in May, but the ORR is going through everything with a fine-tooth comb. We believe it has been happy with everything so far, but it kept asking to see more and we did not account for these delays."

The line was built in the second half of the 19th century, but the Okehampton to Exeter passenger service was withdrawn by British Rail in 1972 as part of the Beeching cuts, and the main use of the line was then to transport ballast from Meldon Quarry. Regular passenger services were reinstated on the line in 1997 with the inception of the Dartmoor Railway community interest company, whose volunteers help to maintain the line.

Devon County Council gave ^250,000 towards the project to bring the second platform at Yeoford station back into use, as it is a junction, to enable the dream for daily trains to be realised. The grant came from the council's Investing in Devon programme, funded by the proceeds of the sale of Exeter Airport.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 02, 2010, 13:13:15 »

Thank you for posting this article, bignosemac. I'm happy to read that this project is moving forward, albeit rather slowly at the moment.

Presumably, the through service to London would operate over the LSWR (London South Western Railway) route rather than the GWML (Great Western Main Line)?? I imagine there may be pathing issues...
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #217 on: September 02, 2010, 19:01:52 »

I wonder what they will use for their London service? are there any paths availablle on the route via axminster?
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 02, 2010, 23:59:35 »

Okehampton wasn't closed as part of the Beeching cuts, Beeching actually retained the branch if you look into the Beeching report!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #219 on: September 03, 2010, 00:08:32 »

... the Okehampton to Exeter passenger service was withdrawn by British Rail in 1972 as part of the Beeching cuts ...

Eh ??  Roll Eyes Shocked

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
qwerty

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 03, 2010, 13:52:20 »

Rumour going around the mess room and at Exeter that FGW (First Great Western) have been asked to run a service on behalf of DCR from Dec. timetable change. 4 off peak trips per day as a demonstation.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 03, 2010, 14:20:15 »

And the rolling stock is coming from where.....??

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
devon_metro

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 03, 2010, 14:23:51 »

Presumably a single 153, requirement for units is lower in Winter as none of the Cornish branches or Weymouth need to be strengthened.
anthony215

View Profile Email
« Reply #223 on: September 03, 2010, 14:47:30 »

FGW (First Great Western) are also are having some more london midland class 150's and i have been told that the loco hauled set on the Cardiff - Taunton/Paignton diagram is to be withdrawn from the beginning of october and be replaced by a DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit). I havent heard about the other loco hauled set
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 04, 2010, 19:28:26 »

Does anyone know why today there were several trains to and from Okehampton on the departure screens, and live departure boards online at Exeter St Davids today?

All that happened was the service was announced then the service just disappeared from the screens about 5 mins after it was due.

Anyone know what this was all about?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 42
  Print  

Jump to: