Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:24:50 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Home railways - scale models, toys, garden, even 1:1 scale [DotD 6.5.20]  (Read 2619 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 05, 2020, 08:54:36 »

From Reuters

The trains of Britain have been known to grind to a halt due to such minor hazards as leaves on the line or the wrong type of snow, but the world of model railways is made of sterner stuff.

Even a pandemic of epic proportions has been unable to ruin one of the UK (United Kingdom)’s premier railway modeling shows.

When the annual London Festival of Railway Modeling exhibition at the grand Alexandra Palace venue was canceled due to coronavirus restrictions, model-makers got the show back on track by taking it online.

From Yahoo!

A father-of-two has built a huge Duplo train set to keep his young children - and him - entertained during the coronavirus lockdown.

John Ford, 49, constructed the impressive mini-railway from hundreds of Lego Duplo bricks.

The track even includes a large replica of the Clifton Suspension Bridge - the real thing is just minutes away from Ford’s home in Bristol.

From The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Adrian Backshall has used the lockdown to finish a remarkable project.
The retired British Rail worker has built a 30ft railway in his back garden in Eastbourne, complete with hand-cranked wagon.

Do members have model railways at home, or perhaps something a bit more unusual?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 09:12:42 »

I have a live steam 16mm Narrow Gauge SM32 railway in my garden, where 16mm to the foot is the scale and the track gauge is 32mm.
I don't have many videos of my garden, but these are some videos of our local 16mm group https://www.youtube.com/user/ray951
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 09:38:30 »

My mum has a G Scale line doing a loop of her garden which, since mum got ill, is currently my garden too as I have become her full time carer. It was built by my Dad, who unfortunately passed away just before mum got ill a couple of years back. It is an unusual layout as the garden is quite steeply sloped, meaning it is at ground level along the back of the house then elevated on wooden viaducts around the rest of the garden. Joining the ground level and elevated sections are two bridges, one of which is a replica of the bridge crossing the Thames on the GWR (Great Western Railway) Windsor and Eton Branch made out of copper piping. The track is electrified, scales and motive power are varied. There is a large American steam locomotive, a class 66, the American equivalent of a class 66, a narrow gauge steam loco, a steam tram, a Chicago streetcar and various other stuff. Since I've moved in I am now in charge of permanent way and making sure it continues to work, although there isn't often the time to fully make use of it. Me and mum have been discussing selling the locomotives and other stock, as we would rather see them made use of by people, than sit gathering dust, we will probably keep the two trams to run on the line. Control of the line is done remotely, it has a passing loop in a small station built on a sharp bend, a siding down the back of the house and a level crossing over the path complete with flashing lights and warning sound. It's very enjoyable to sit back and watch something running round on a nice warm day but trust me, Permanent way is constantly required as the ground moves and things grow, much like the real thing.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2020, 09:45:54 »

Photos please Mr General ...
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2020, 09:46:38 »

I have a number of models - both contemporary and from past eras - and some track.  However I haven't yet found the room to put the two together.

Also apart from a 5 car IET (Intercity Express Train), I have only one passenger coach (A FGW (First Great Western) MK3 buffet car with a full kitchen).
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2020, 10:05:45 »

A G-scale Bachmann - mainly D&RGW - that I acquired in our American days. It was for the kids, honest!  Wink

At its last outing (2013  Sad ) in the village sports hall. UK (United Kingdom) house, way too small ...
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2020, 10:39:45 »

Also apart from a 5 car IET (Intercity Express Train), I have only one passenger coach (A FGW (First Great Western) MK3 buffet car with a full kitchen).

Hmmm... could you not insert that Mk3 buffet into the IET formation?  I know someone who’d be happy. Cheesy

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2020, 10:41:39 »

I was into metrication very, very early ... with a TT (1:100, 3mm/foot) model in my young days, moving on to a more fixed N gauge layout with follow ons from that for the first half of my life. Stations at Ullapool, Gairloch and Lulworth were carefully planned, timetabled and built (to test the concept, you'll understand  Grin ). At my school's pioneering technical centre, I learned some automated train control principles using relays and even appeared on Blue Peter to show it off.  For current readers, I will point out that starting and stopping trains by turning the power to the track on and off should not be scaled up to full sized trains, and additional safety factors are required to ensure collisions are prevented on all the various diamond crossings on the line.  The absolute block sections keeping multiple trains apart on a long loop track with just two relays per section was strong on economy and weak on fail-safe measures if anything went wrong.

It must be 30 years now since I did any serious railway modelling - and I was pretty awful at it anyway, having two left hands, and far lees patients than a doctor has in a day. An attempt to encourage (but no heavy pressure) an interest in my children concluded they were more attune to other hobbies.  Come 2005 - a decade after anything to do with models - I found myself getting involved with railways at a 1:1 scale, and the nearest I've come to smaller since then has been a 1:76 class 153 that sits on a piece of track with a livery very familiar to RichardB, and an admiration for all the time put into the hobby when visiting shows like the Warley National Model Railway Exhibition where I helped a bit on the ... full size ... RailFuture stand for a couple of hours.

I am ... tempted ... to set up something again. Very simple, very small, hobby. But tempted.   And Lisa, having seen what can be done in a garden in Eastbourne, has made it clear that she would not be averse to ... (though I do not want to go this way!) ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2020, 13:22:14 »

Grahame,
if you really do have two left hands then I would recommend you seriously take a look at a 16mm or G scale railway in the Garden.
It has several advantages over OO ((Double O) - model railway, 4mm to 1 foot scale) or N in that:

1) there is no scenery to build, although you can have buildings, etc.
2) With the stock and buildings being so big it makes them much easier to build, paint and handle.
2) If you go Narrow Gauge you can run what you like in whatever liveries you like, as that is what the full size railways did. No corporate colour schemes here.
3) If you or your partner like gardenining then you can work together (of course that maybe a disadvantage to some!)
4) You don't need masses of stock, so it keeps the costs down.
5) Start with electric, either battery or track powered and move to live steam at a later date
6) Garden modellers are more laid back than those running smaller gauges. We dont count rivets!

For more information start here https://www.16mm.org.uk/ and there are two groups local to you, one in West Wiltshire and another in North Wiltshire, not sure which one covers Melksham.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2020, 14:43:37 »

Grahame,
if you really do have two left hands then I would recommend you seriously take a look at a 16mm or G scale railway in the Garden.

Seriously ... short of time.

It has several advantages over OO ((Double O) - model railway, 4mm to 1 foot scale) or N in that:
1) there is no scenery to build, although you can have buildings, etc.
2) With the stock and buildings being so big it makes them much easier to build, paint and handle.
2) If you go Narrow Gauge you can run what you like in whatever liveries you like, as that is what the full size railways did. No corporate colour schemes here.
3) If you or your partner like gardenining then you can work together (of course that maybe a disadvantage to some!)
4) You don't need masses of stock, so it keeps the costs down.
5) Start with electric, either battery or track powered and move to live steam at a later date
6) Garden modellers are more laid back than those running smaller gauges. We dont count rivets!

How did we end up with 2 no. 2's

Hmm ... let me compare with current life, 305mm scale
1, 2. No scenery, and others are doing those for us which makes it REALLY easy for us
2. Rather than ignore colour schemes, we can help set the trend
3. We both like helping and setting things up the letting others run them day to day
4. Yeah - start with a single carriage and if it works well, double up
5. Start with the electricity supplied on board from a Diesel engine.  Add track power later, yes, good idea
6. We celebrate the little differences; forget not counting rivets - rather appreciate the differences.

Comparison to N or OO not really relevant these days ... if I find myself stuck at home I might take a look at ...
For more information start here https://www.16mm.org.uk/ and there are two groups local to you, one in West Wiltshire and another in North Wiltshire, not sure which one covers Melksham.
... oh, wait, I am stuck at home!

tomL
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2020, 15:56:20 »

I have a number of models - both contemporary and from past eras - and some track.  However I haven't yet found the room to put the two together.

I’m in the same boat. I have an IET, HST (High Speed Train) + 3 mk3s and some other bits and bobs but no feasible space at the moment.

Reading/browsing the catalogues is helping to pass the time though.  Smiley

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2020, 16:53:09 »

Reading/browsing the catalogues is helping to pass the time though.  Smiley

That's my problem - I read and browse and end up ordering....

Hmmm... could you not insert that Mk3 buffet into the IET formation?  I know someone who’d be happy. Cheesy

Being Hornby you would have thought so but as in real life, the couplings don't match   Grin
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2020, 18:45:51 »

if you really do have two left hands ...

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2020, 19:41:52 »

I learned some automated train control principles using relays and even appeared on Blue Peter to show it off.

Which leads to the next question.  Did you get a badge?
Reading General
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2020, 22:15:34 »

Photos please Mr General ...

I will once I've figured out why the forum sends me to a new thread page each time I try to post them.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: