Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:17:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: UK incoming passenger quarantine  (Read 5490 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2020, 09:13:37 »

Question (previously) asked "Quarantine for AIR passengers - what about ferries and Eurostar?"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52610594

Passengers arriving from France will be exempt from forthcoming UK (United Kingdom) coronavirus quarantine measures.

Boris Johnson said on Sunday the rules would be imposed on people coming into the UK, to prevent Covid-19 being brought in from overseas.

As yet, no start or end date for the measures has been announced.

The government has already indicated that people arriving from the Republic of Ireland will not be made to go into quarantine.

However, the measures will apply to UK holidaymakers returning from other destinations.

Travel industry analysts said that meant a one-week or two-week holiday abroad would be followed by another two weeks in self-isolation.

Eurostar and most ferry arrivals are from France - so there is your answer.    Not sure if the Harwich / Hook ferry is running at the moment, or East Coast to Zeebrugge / Ostende, or anything to Bilbao / Santander?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2020, 16:12:54 »

Question (previously) asked "Quarantine for AIR passengers - what about ferries and Eurostar?"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52610594

Passengers arriving from France will be exempt from forthcoming UK (United Kingdom) coronavirus quarantine measures.

Boris Johnson said on Sunday the rules would be imposed on people coming into the UK, to prevent Covid-19 being brought in from overseas.

As yet, no start or end date for the measures has been announced.

The government has already indicated that people arriving from the Republic of Ireland will not be made to go into quarantine.

However, the measures will apply to UK holidaymakers returning from other destinations.

Travel industry analysts said that meant a one-week or two-week holiday abroad would be followed by another two weeks in self-isolation.

Eurostar and most ferry arrivals are from France - so there is your answer.    Not sure if the Harwich / Hook ferry is running at the moment, or East Coast to Zeebrugge / Ostende, or anything to Bilbao / Santander?

So someone from the UK drives catches a train from Netherlands, Germany, Luxembourg ete etc into France and then travels into the UK how is it going to be "policed" at our boarder as the persons point of origin will be unknown …………...

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
eXPassenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2020, 18:00:21 »

At the moment you can only enter France if you are French or can provide an important reason for entry.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2020, 21:14:56 »

employers would expect that 2 weeks isolation to be taken as holiday or unpaid

Not necessarily, I had to self-isolate for 7 days in mid-March for a week, and the rest of my family under the same roof for 14. Nobody stopped working.

That was then, moving forward into the "new normal" employers may take a different view
Surely this is going to depend on whether your job can be done from wherever you're in quarantine? If quarantine is interpreted to mean 'stay at home' and you can work from home, all good. If it means actual quarantine* in isolation from others, with medical and social oversight, such as healthcare facility or requisitioned hospital, then less likely. Both Cyprus and NZ, to my random knowledge, have implemented the latter; those are just the ones I happen to have heard of personally, must be many others. But in UK (United Kingdom) it would quite likely mean 'stay at home', judging by our implementations so far.

*But wouldn't that be for 40 days not 14?  Wink

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2020, 23:02:10 »

*But wouldn't that be for 40 days not 14?  Wink

Fortunately we don't really have that problem. The French do, of course since "quarantaine" does still mean about forty, as well as its English meaning which applies for any duration. With 14 days being the norm now, the word "quatorzaine" has gained some currency. This word existed in the past, for two weeks (in some sense), but is no longer in use.

But you may remember that "quinzaine" already exists, being the normal word for two weeks (and for about fifteen). This duplication has been noted as a bit peculiar.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2020, 06:22:22 »

Less than a week to the 14 day quarantine being introduced and ... from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Coronavirus: Ministers 'looking at ways to relax travel quarantine rule'

The government is looking at ways to relax the 14-day quarantine rule for people entering the UK (United Kingdom) over coming months, BBC Newsnight has learnt.

From Monday, most people arriving by plane, ferry or train - including UK nationals - must self-isolate.

But some MPs (Member of Parliament) and businesses have expressed concern at the plan, warning it will damage the travel industry.

One government source told Newsnight that ministers were looking at ways around the coronavirus quarantine. This could include travel corridors to countries with low infection rates, or expanding the list of workers who are exempt from the 14-day rule.

Any changes would be guided by the science but one possible date for a relaxation to the rule could be 20 July, coinciding with school holidays, Newsnight was told.

It does strike me as - err - slightly odd that we are looking to quarantine nearly all arrivals from next Monday when the UK Coronavirus rates now appear to be an order of magnitude higher than most other countries that people will be arriving from.    Not saying it's a bad thing to - but worldwide it would seem far more logical to quarantine people going out from the UK than coming in - certainly in relation to our near neighbours in Europe.

At the weekend, former environment secretary Theresa Villiers told BBC Radio 4's Westminster Hour she thought quarantine rules should be targeted on flights "from Covid hotspots".

The cynic in me suggests, then, that people coming off internal flights should be quarantined ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2020, 07:03:48 »

The cynic in me suggests, then, that people coming off internal flights should be quarantined ...

My theory is the scientific advisors are suggesting to Ministers if the UK (United Kingdom) is allowed on mass to exodus the UK for 2 weeks in the sun; the under 30 (ish) will party hard at packed night clubs with people for other parts of world etc, families children will mix an mingle and adults will generally socially interact in bars and restaurants.

All of this risks bringing back new infections.

The cynic in me is telling me that most of the quarantine requirements will be lifted on the 1st September

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2020, 09:35:33 »

I do not understand all the talk of "air bridges". Their promoters imply that we can get a deal to travel to countries that have low infection rates. My view is why would any country want to do a deal with us. We are now more likely to infect their citizens than the other way round.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2020, 09:59:41 »

I do not understand all the talk of "air bridges". Their promoters imply that we can get a deal to travel to countries that have low infection rates. My view is why would any country want to do a deal with us. We are now more likely to infect their citizens than the other way round.

Simple tourists = lots of money being spent

MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2020, 22:06:03 »

Now France (BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)) and the Netherlands (Sky News on Planet Rock radio).

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-53773914

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: