Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
13:12 Exeter Central to Barnstaple
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 14:19:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[184] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[110] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[101] Okehampton
[55] Our first Interrail tour
[38] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[35] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: £2 billion package to create new era for cycling and walking  (Read 23529 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 18, 2020, 19:57:37 »

Seems a decent model to use, for a very tightly defined centre. I didn't realise the closure of Bristol Bridge would include its junction with Baldwin St – that really does prevent through-traffic. I think the "left turn onto Wine St" on the map actually means "left turn onto High St"? Also, I wonder how successful the "Access only" to Union St will be, seeing as the same rule currently applied to the Horsefair in practice means "just picking up some shopping, that's allowed!" I'd guess it might make no difference to the Horsefair but reduce Union St traffic levels to those currently in the Horsefair plus buses and taxis.

The Brizle Post mentioned some capacity reduction measures in Lewins Mead and Maudlin Street but wasn't specific.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 18, 2020, 23:20:03 »

Seems a decent model to use, for a very tightly defined centre. I didn't realise the closure of Bristol Bridge would include its junction with Baldwin St – that really does prevent through-traffic. I think the "left turn onto Wine St" on the map actually means "left turn onto High St"? Also, I wonder how successful the "Access only" to Union St will be, seeing as the same rule currently applied to the Horsefair in practice means "just picking up some shopping, that's allowed!" I'd guess it might make no difference to the Horsefair but reduce Union St traffic levels to those currently in the Horsefair plus buses and taxis.

The Brizle Post mentioned some capacity reduction measures in Lewins Mead and Maudlin Street but wasn't specific.

If you scroll to the bottom of the ETRO document there are some good maps. You can see that the 'capacity reductions' are largely bought about by use of 24-hour continuous bus lanes. James Freeman should be (at least) somewhat heartened. And yes, I'm sure they mean High St, not Wine St.

Traffic on Union St will certainly be reduced by the clever wheeze of stopping cars turning left at the end.

All in all, it gives the impression of being well-thought-out.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2020, 11:56:56 »

Yes, I saw the maps, which include a continuous bus lane on Anchor Road but I didn't see any of Lewins Mead. Nevertheless, I'm sure the "capacity reductions" there will also be a bus lane, presumably to be announced later. Anyway, I agree it's a good scheme – I'm actually rather impressed – and just hope that they deliver it on time.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2020, 21:10:09 »

Went down to have a look at the new cycle routes in Bristol today. Not all complete, but some interesting changes. This one, on The Haymarket, is particularly good; you'd think it was eccentric having it in the outside lane but it feeds into the existing crossings at the Bear Pit rather well:

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2020, 06:49:18 »

From my limited experience of Bristol, I found myself at a set of traffic lights in a bike lane between two lanes of traffic, one left, one right and bikes straight on. Bit unsettling if you haven't experienced it before. So if it feeds into the existing system ok, that's what matters.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2020, 09:21:34 »

Have you used it yet, Red Squirrel? Being outside lane to connect with the routes in the Centre was clear but I hadn't twigged it was meant to connect with Bear Pit crossings. And I can't quite imagine how that's meant to work if you're heading straight on (up Gloucester Rd) and don't want to ride through the Bear Pit (I find those uphill U-turns on the ramps tricky, and then there's the question of what you do once you're back at ground level). Incidentally, when I saw it on Saturday, there were about 50 or more kids – pre-teens and early teens – riding along it.  Smiley

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2020, 11:19:08 »

Have you used it yet, Red Squirrel? Being outside lane to connect with the routes in the Centre was clear but I hadn't twigged it was meant to connect with Bear Pit crossings. And I can't quite imagine how that's meant to work if you're heading straight on (up Gloucester Rd) and don't want to ride through the Bear Pit (I find those uphill U-turns on the ramps tricky, and then there's the question of what you do once you're back at ground level).

Yes I have; that was what I was doing when I took the picture  Grin

You may remember that a few years ago the council built a path around the inside of the Bear Pit roundabout at road-level, from roughly The Haymarket to North Street (what most people would probably think of as Stokes Croft). The new path connects to this via a crossing, and then a second crossing puts you on the island under the 51 02 building from where it is easy to get onto North St. In my opinion it is significantly safer and worth the delays at the crossings.

Incidentally, when I saw it on Saturday, there were about 50 or more kids – pre-teens and early teens – riding along it.  Smiley

Yes; it'll be interesting to see how this all pans out.

On Sunday there seemed to be more traffic around The Centre than you'd normally expect, though this may have been partly down to motorists who'd missed the memo getting confused. I anticipate howls of outrage in the bottom half of the Evening Post today..!

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2020, 14:25:04 »

You may remember that a few years ago the council built a path around the inside of the Bear Pit roundabout at road-level, from roughly The Haymarket to North Street (what most people would probably think of as Stokes Croft). The new path connects to this via a crossing, and then a second crossing puts you on the island under the 51 02 building from where it is easy to get onto North St. In my opinion it is significantly safer and worth the delays at the crossings.
Two things here. The first is that I've never seen anyone riding round that path and it really doesn't look wide enough for both cyclists and pedestrians, in both directions. I'm also not sure if it's legally designated as a cycle path but I don't feel that's of any great concern other than to the city council's lawyers.

The second thing is that you're probably the only person who uses the name North Street in a non-official context.  Wink

Incidentally, when I saw it on Saturday, there were about 50 or more kids – pre-teens and early teens – riding along it.  Smiley

Yes; it'll be interesting to see how this all pans out.

On Sunday there seemed to be more traffic around The Centre than you'd normally expect, though this may have been partly down to motorists who'd missed the memo getting confused. I anticipate howls of outrage in the bottom half of the Evening Post today..!

The kids I saw were actually part of a ride-out. Which in itself is a thing that I think is pretty good, though I understand it can look intimidating.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2020, 15:18:37 »

...I've never seen anyone riding round that path and it really doesn't look wide enough for both cyclists and pedestrians, in both directions. I'm also not sure if it's legally designated as a cycle path but I don't feel that's of any great concern other than to the city council's lawyers.

It's decently wide - I'd say at least 4m - and the crossings are 'toucan', i.e. pedestrian/cycle combined. I suspect the path will get a lot more use now.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2020, 16:49:39 »

Video of it in use on B24/7: https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/new-traffic-rules-and-pop-up-cycle-lanes-for-roads-across-bristol/
Also of a new lane on the Triangle. (The Triangle! For how many years have BCC» (Bristol City Council - about) rejected how many proposed changes here?!)

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2020, 17:07:16 »

Having ridden in two of the lanes today, firstly the one on the Triangle, then the one on Lewins Mead, I have mixed impressions. The lane on the Triangle is too short to be useful, too narrow to be comfortable – very little wiggle room round some sunken covers, probably too narrow for a trailer and even narrower at its entrance – and ends just where you need to get in the correct lane for either Park St or Park Row, so no good for the timid it's supposed to give confidence to.

The one on Lewins Mead is much better, being a whole lane wide – though there are still some wiggly bits at each end – and covering a decent length. I decided to go around the Bear Pit on the "inside pavement" so to speak (I will now think of this as the Red Squirrel manoeuvre Cheesy) but evidently I'm not the only one who wasn't entirely sure of the appropriate procedure. As I approached the Bear Pit roundabout, the lights were green but another cyclist was waiting for them to go red. Or at least for a chance to get into the flow of traffic. She finally got it when they turned amber and disappeared up Stokes Croft, or rather North St.  Wink This might well be quicker than waiting for two changes of lights (one at each crossing) but again, not for the timid. Good effort but more thought required in joining things up.

In other news, I also rode over Bristol Bridge. They've got as far as painting "Bus Gate" on the road but two days after the supposed go-live, it ain't live. Who'd have guessed?  Roll Eyes

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2020, 19:03:44 »

Rode through from Victoria St, over Bristol Bridge and along Baldwin St this evening at around 18.00. There was almost no traffic on Victoria St, and Baldwin St was very quiet. Went on via the new path through Lewins Mead via The Haymarket to Stokes Croft; this lane was clearly signposted, easy to access and was working very well. Not only that, but the private motor cars seemed to be moving pretty well too.

Early days, but this has the hallmarks of a huge success!

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2020, 21:35:03 »

There's now a sign at the Bearpit end saying "cyclists northbound use crossing" or words to that effect. But they haven't moved the barriers to make this easier!

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2020, 13:04:48 »

Brizzle Post Live has an article saying "It isn't working!" I couldn't be bothered to slow their video down and see how many of the cars were actually taxis. Certainly when I was down there on Sunday, it wasn't working, in that about half the traffic crossing the bridge was private cars, but at the same time there was a lot less traffic over it than normal. Drivers coming up Victoria St could be seen turning off at the last minute but those coming from Baldwin St and Bridge St seemed to go straight on; maybe because there isn't anywhere obvious to turn round at those ends? Anyway, I'm sure compliance will be much better once they've finally got the cameras up. And in the long term, maybe even rising bollards?

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2020, 13:47:54 »

The article Bmblbzzz refers to is here: https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/news/bristol-news/bristol-bridge-ban-traffic-seemingly-4406424

It would be fair to say that the signage needs to be improved.

Apparently they have to use these blue circular signs:

Image courtesy of Bristol 24/7

...rather than 'no entry' signs plated 'except buses, cycles, motorcycles, taxis and authorised vehicles' which, to my mind, would be clearer.

Road markings could also helpfully  be used to imply that 'you need to turn around and go back from whence you came'. Until this is done, or perhaps until people start getting the £60 fines, I suspect a trickle of private cars will continue to cross the bridge.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: