Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 11:55 28 Mar 2024
* Manhunt after stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:05:27 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[161] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[91] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[62] Return of the BRUTE?
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[49] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[38] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  
Author Topic: £2 billion package to create new era for cycling and walking  (Read 23120 times)
CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2020, 10:07:54 »

Sensible article in the Guardian about Low Traffic Neighbourhoods (LTNs (Low Traffic Neighbourhood)) and the noise about their introduction. As with similar surveys, more appear to be in favour than against (3 to 1).
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2020/oct/22/despite-a-loud-opposing-minority-low-traffic-neighbourhoods-are-increasingly-popular

And according to Carlton Reid it is partly caused by the humble satnav https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/sep/25/rat-running-residential-uk-streets-satnav-apps. What better excuse do you need?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2020, 10:31:57 by CyclingSid » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2020, 12:14:17 »

I don't know if my nagging had anything to do with it, but it looks like Google has at last stopped routing cars over Bristol Bridge...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 05, 2020, 20:20:08 »

Lewins Mead to return to two lanes of motor traffic without cycle lane, supposedly in order to reduce pollution.
https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/rees-admits-new-cycle-lane-totally-messed-up-major-bus-route/

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 05, 2020, 22:08:27 »

Lewins Mead to return to two lanes of motor traffic without cycle lane, supposedly in order to reduce pollution.
https://www.bristol247.com/news-and-features/news/rees-admits-new-cycle-lane-totally-messed-up-major-bus-route/

I'm trying to find details of the proposed amendments. I've not seen anything that says the cycle lane will go, just that two traffic lanes will be restored to allow the bus lane to work.

The spokesperson did not have any more details about the new scheme at that stage but they warned that the planned changes may be delayed by the second national lockdown.

The pinch point is The Haymarket, which has a central reservation with fences to prevent pedestrians crossing what was once more-or-less an urban motorway. Now that it's a 20mph road, it ought to be possible to take down the fence and narrow the traffic lanes, giving space for a cycle lane without slowing down the buses.

We'll find out what the new plans are soon enough...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2020, 11:13:27 »

We'll probably see some plans some time... Meanwhile, both the Post and the 24/7 are reporting the mayor as saying the cycle lane has "Messed up bus routes".

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2020, 11:40:44 »

We'll probably see some plans some time... Meanwhile, both the Post and the 24/7 are reporting the mayor as saying the cycle lane has "Messed up bus routes".

I'm sure it has, but that's not the same as saying the bike lane can't be accommodated.

Of all the pop-up cycles lanes that have appeared recently, this one seemed the least likely to survive without modification because it reduces motor traffic to one lane in The Haymarket, so buses get held up by private motorists. In addition, cyclists don't understand it! A lot of bike users don't realise that they are supposed to use the crossings and shared path around the Bear Pit roundabout, and end up cutting across traffic the get to North Road. I've watched this, and despaired.

Some of these pop-up lanes were already well-planned when the government gave councils two weeks to come up with schemes; others weren't. If they'd been given time to do consultation, this scheme might not have gone ahead in it's current form.

BCC» (Bristol City Council - about) is very keen to avoid any more of this kind of problem, and is working hard to get engagement and consultation right for future projects. I hope they succeed!

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 07, 2020, 11:33:51 »

In addition, cyclists don't understand it! A lot of bike users don't realise that they are supposed to use the crossings and shared path around the Bear Pit roundabout, and end up cutting across traffic the get to North Road. I've watched this, and despaired.
I pointed this out just after it was installed!

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 09, 2020, 12:36:21 »

How Bristol City Council will put right major bus route it "totally messed up" during lockdown

A permanent bus lane and cycle lane will be installed but there will also be a temporary fix after 20 buses ended up gridlocked

[...]

Bristol City Council cabinet member for transport Cllr Kye Dudd says officers have now come up with a solution they believe will work as originally intended.

He told a cabinet meeting a permanent bus lane and a cycle lane would be installed to run all the way along Lewins Mead to solve the problem.

In the meantime, the temporary cordoned-off cycle lane will be moved from the outside lane where it currently is to the inside to stop existing problems of cyclists cutting back into general traffic, including buses, near the Bearpit.

See full article
Source: Bristol Live

CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 10, 2020, 06:49:32 »

How nice to hear of a local authority with a positive "can do" attitude.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 14, 2020, 12:59:03 »

Lewins Mead layout has now been altered. Starting just after the crossing at the bottom of Christmas Steps, counting from the left it's now bus lane, cycle lane with wands on the left and solid red/white roadworks style barrier on the right, cars. One lane of each. The cycle lane ends at the crossing by the Bay Horse, the bus lane just before the Bearpit bus stop.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 14, 2020, 16:08:11 »

Let's hope that's not the final arrangement - it gives up just when you need it most, which is the opposite of the spirit of Gear Change. The previous arrangement was, as someone pointed out, safe for a family with kids. This isn't:

https://twitter.com/beardedjourno/status/1325770972092313600

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 16, 2020, 16:46:18 »

I've just been out to test it. It bears in some ways more similarity to the layout In The Before Times than the offside lane recently removed. Things you might want to look out for:
The entrance is divided asymmetrically, if you go left of the central wand it might be rather tight.
Possibility of lane changing cars and buses at two points.
Barriers offset immediately first lane change point, whether deliberately to prevent cars driving along it or because it's been hit (or just accidentally misplaced), I don't know.
All the road markings at the roundabout itself are worn away and surface is quite potholed.

Other oddities:
Although the cycle lane occupies an entire 'car lane', it gives cyclists significantly less width to ride in, due to the placing of the wands and barriers some way within the lines.
Together with the longer continuous bus lane, this leads me to wonder if the unspoken purpose isn't (and wasn't) so much to function as a cycle lane but to reduce non-bus road capacity. Marvin Rees did say in the summer that he was hopeful the changes introduced so far (Bristol Bridge etc) would reduce city centre traffic to remove the need for a clean air zone.
If so, it seemed to be working today, about 4pm. Very little traffic.
All the buses in front of me at the roundabout itself were in the middle lane, through some coincidence, leaving me as the only person in L1 for North Rd.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 16, 2020, 20:15:14 »

I'd sum it up as being "Good as far it goes, but it doesn't go far enough. Like almost all cycle provision in UK (United Kingdom), it doesn't connect anything to anything."

CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2020, 09:35:15 »

How nice to hear of a local authority with a positive "can do" attitude.
Anyway Mr Page knows better?
https://road.cc/content/news/government-cycle-lane-micromanagement-supreme-bollocks-278929
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 20, 2021, 10:34:43 »

Sigh: https://twitter.com/beardedjourno/status/1372970088207413256

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
  Print  

Jump to: