Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:03:13 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Coffee Shop Tuesday - ONLINE: May 12, 2020
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coffee Shop - online zoom meetings - try out this Tuesday (12.5.2020)  (Read 2698 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 10, 2020, 13:41:13 »

Inviting Frequent Posters and Transport Scholars to an online chat via Zoom - this Tuesday (12th May) from 16:00 to 16:30.

For this first meeting, we'll settle in for the first few minutes - introduce ourselves, play with the controls, etc, then I'll talk for a few minutes on "The Coffee Shop during Coronavirus and looking forward".  Finally, a quick cast around "did this work" and "should we do this again?" - or that latter may go out to a poll thread.

This week:
12th May - learning the technology, learning who's who; brief talk on "Coffee Shop during Coronavirus"
Meeting invite details in "Frequent Posters" at http://www.passenger.chat/23433

---OOO---

If it works well and members like it ... something to do subsequent weeks.  "Tuesday Club" on Zoom from the Coffee Shop, encouraging members and others to meet interactive.  Every Tuesday, from 4 p.m. Something different each week, schedule initially until the end of the month with provisional topics.
- Fireside chats
- Talks with post-talk discussions
- Guest speakers
Open to registered members and invited guest speakers.  Post a review of the complete session on the forum.

19th May - what will your travel patterns look like in a month, a year, and a decade?
26th May - what benefits can we gain from - can the new order be improved in some ways on what we had?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 07:52:06 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2020, 14:22:53 »

As you know we are talking on another thread about inapprpriate acronyms.

Have you realised that this thread appears on he home page summary as "Coffee shop - online zoo"

I thought we might be setting up in online opposition to Longleat Wink
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2020, 14:31:23 »

As you know we are talking on another thread about inapprpriate acronyms.

Have you realised that this thread appears on he home page summary as "Coffee shop - online zoo"

I thought we might be setting up in online opposition to Longleat Wink

Thank you for following up...the very act of doing so has corrected for me to something less confusing:  Re: Coffee Shop - online...

Will we see you there, Robin?   (The Tuesday Club, not Longleat!)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2020, 14:44:39 »

I've never used Zoom, so if I can fathom it out it is a possibility Smiley
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2020, 15:13:18 »

I'm guessing that up to lockdown, many people had never heard of Zoo (or Zoom to others).
Now it's an everyday word.
From the family useage Grahame, although free sessions are limited to 40 minutes, once you reach that, it current extends the time limited free.  We've certainly quizzed away for an hour, with follow-up chatter after that; all on the free basic account.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2020, 15:59:09 »

I tried it for the first time yesterday for an on line quiz. Initially total failure as my laptop does not have a built in mike. tried my tablet which chose to spend a long time updating itself. Then zoom would not work initially - just froze. Eventually got connected for the last round of questions with everything working, I will try again on Tuesday to see if it has been mastered.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 16:05:47 by rogerw » Logged

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2020, 18:47:23 »

How did it go?

I managed to completely forget about it and went for a walk to Stanley Bridge this afternoon....
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2020, 18:54:34 »

How did it go?

I managed to completely forget about it and went for a walk to Stanley Bridge this afternoon....

I felt it went very well indeed, thank you, Robin ... a comfortable screen full of people but we could have squeezed a few more in as there'e no need to social distance online.    Headline is .... there's another next week - Tim is writing up today's and I'll be doing a poll to see what time of day is best.

As you have a local (Wiltshire) interest ... tomorrow is 35 years since the restarting of services between Chippenham and Melksham, and I will be doing a brief presentation on that for MRUG» (Melksham Rail User Group - site) - details on the forum at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=22870 .

SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2020, 21:18:46 »

I didn't join in as when I started to dowload the software it wanted access to my private Contacts List, Calendar, Mobile Telephone Number, Email Address and various other bits of private data.  Not prepared to compromise all my personal details like that.  Sorry.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2020, 21:46:04 »

I didn't join in as when I started to dowload the software it wanted access to my private Contacts List, Calendar, Mobile Telephone Number, Email Address and various other bits of private data.  Not prepared to compromise all my personal details like that.  Sorry.

Odd ... it did NOT ask me for that - I would not have gone with contact list and probably not calendar.

Bryony
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 21:58:33 »

If you go in via the chrome browser, it is possible to avoid all the nosey attempts until you are under less duress.  I do recommend playing with the app and watching the i ro web ar when you have a spare 34 minutes.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2020, 22:51:16 »

If you go in via the chrome browser, it is possible to avoid all the nosey attempts until you are under less duress.  I do recommend playing with the app and watching the i ro web ar when you have a spare 34 minutes.

Youv'e lost me there.  Can you explain it a bit more please?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 09:15:52 »

Yes, me too please!

Using Chrome browser, you are often logged in to your Google account which also has access generally to all those functions - so it doesn't ask you but hands over the info. T&Cs allow this apparently. I'm in two minds whether to download it too, and I don't have webcam or mic on this computer, so I couldn't partake except via mobile app
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: