Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:21 Newbury to Bedwyn
13:48 Bedwyn to Newbury
14:12 Newbury to Bedwyn
14:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
14:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
15:50 Bedwyn to Newbury
16:15 Newbury to Bedwyn
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
12:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:10 Penzance to London Paddington
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:20 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 11:46:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[124] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[49] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[48] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[43] Return of the BRUTE?
[30] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: Might you come along if "Tuesday Club" started at ...  (Voting closed: May 15, 2020, 20:54:43)
10 a.m. - 2 (5.7%)
11 a.m. - 2 (5.7%)
2 p.m. - 5 (14.3%)
3 p.m. - 5 (14.3%)
4 p.m. - 8 (22.9%)
5 p.m. - 6 (17.1%)
7 p.m. - 4 (11.4%)
Only some other time/day - 2 (5.7%)
Won't be coming - sorry - 1 (2.9%)
Total Voters: 16

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tuesday Club - what times work for you?  (Read 2591 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 12, 2020, 20:54:43 »

We held the first Coffee Shop Zoom meeting today - calling it the "Tuesday Club" and planning - for the moment - to meet for about an hour every week.   If you might like to join in some times, please select all the start times that would be good for you.   We'll set the time for next Tuesday when this poll closes in 3 days time.

From http://www.passenger.chat/23434 :
"Tuesday Club" on Zoom from the Coffee Shop, encouraging members and others to meet interactive.  Every Tuesday, from 4 p.m. Something different each week, schedule initially until the end of the month with provisional topics.
- Fireside chats
- Talks with post-talk discussions
- Guest speakers
Open to registered members and invited guest speakers.  Post a review of the complete session on the forum.

19th May - what will your travel patterns look like in a month, a year, and a decade?
26th May - what benefits can we gain from - can the new order be improved in some ways on what we had?

First try out today was for Frequent Posters and is written up at http://www.passenger.chat/23433 but from next Tuesday all registered members are welcome along, though not guests - forum registration is required.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bryony
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 22:00:38 »

Actually I could do an evening one too if that would help us get more people involved after days work which seem sensible. Sorry not to have made today’s when I was busy arranging the webinar for Friday
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 22:19:56 »

Actually I could do an evening one too if that would help us get more people involved after days work which seem sensible. Sorry not to have made today’s when I was busy arranging the webinar for Friday

You can go back in, delete your vote and then vote again.   We've using the parliamentary "keep voting until you get it right" system - but we'll just count once at the end of the day like a general election. 

I have signed up for Friday via EventBrite - https://www.facebook.com/events/575235696692690/

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 23:44:07 »

I will always follow the write ups of the meetings with interest but I've always seen the Coffee Shop as something that primarily informs me rather than the other way round so I'll leave a bit of space to the very numerous members who can better contribute.  I might make an exception if there's a way of sitting in to listen without crowding any other contributors out.... which I suppose shows how much I know about Zoom*.

*]How many people can say they had heard of Zoom before the current unpleasantness?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 06:52:48 »

I will always follow the write ups of the meetings with interest but I've always seen the Coffee Shop as something that primarily informs me rather than the other way round so I'll leave a bit of space to the very numerous members who can better contribute.  I might make an exception if there's a way of sitting in to listen without crowding any other contributors out.... which I suppose shows how much I know about Zoom*.

*]How many people can say they had heard of Zoom before the current unpleasantness?

Online meetings and talks here are just an extra 'on the side.  No obligation on anyone what so ever to come along and indeed just 10 out of about 100 different posters came along yesterday.  But you will find explanations, invites to try and encouragement to overcome hurdles if you wish to ... also summaries like Red Squirrel's excellent one from yesterday if you just want to find out what went on later.

Zoom - even on the basic level - can take up to 100 in an event, and there is little danger of there being a shortage of places in our use.  Numbers at events can be stepped up higher - not sure what package it was, but I attended a Transport for London event run as a webinar last week with over 200, and the only way I could be 'seen' was if I typed a question into a side 'chat' column.   The meeting organiser can default video off or on and audio off or on for attendees,  and can allow (or not) their inputs.  It's rather like meetings in real life - the same 'rules' still apply and you can have fireside chats, committee meetings, bigger presentations and so much is down to the host how he / she plays it.   TravelWatch SouthWest last week - a very interesting meeting ( notes at http://www.passenger.chat/23456 ) and a follow up discussion between a handful of the TWSW» (TravelWatch SouthWest - website) team looking at the metrics of how the meeting went and learning for next time.

Plan is to vary Coffee Shop "Tuesday Club" between chats with everyone, talks, and question / answer sessions. Clear agenda and running order each time so we know where we're headed.  Members welcome to join to watch and listen without saying much (though a "hi, welcome" at the door for everyone as we start is no bad thing to ensure that everyone, even if just there to listen, feels welcome).

The link (which includes the meeting password) will be in Member Services so that only signed up members of the forum can join in, but there is no pre-requisite number of posts as there was for yesterday.

More to follow ... please, all members, feel free to pop in next Tuesday ... to add your own comments as we run, or post them up later or use the content to purely inform if you prefer.   The only input I would request is a minimum polite "hello" when we say "hello" to you when you arrive.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 08:59:52 »

I don't have a webcam or mic on this computer, but would be happy to simply watch & listen.

Also, oddly. many of us are working from home....a weekend day would be welcome.

Lastly, the free zoom only allows meetings of 40mins duration.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 09:38:33 »

I don't have a webcam or mic on this computer, but would be happy to simply watch & listen.

Also, oddly. many of us are working from home....a weekend day would be welcome.

Lastly, the free zoom only allows meetings of 40mins duration.

Free zoom 40 minute limit tends to be extended by them as a "gift" if you overshoot but I would much rather run meetings from the lowest of the paid accounts which offers:
* Meeting duration limit is 24 hrs
* User management
* Admin feature controls
* Reporting
* Custom Personal Meeting ID
* Assign scheduler
* 1GB of MP4 or M4A cloud recording
* REST API
* Skype for Business (Lync) interoperability

I don't know what all of those are but I do know that some would be VERY useful.  I did bring up the subject in conversation yesterday - only one member came back with any response and he felt that we should carry on with the free account.   It wasn't really a vote / proper test of views, but it does mean on the session and password admin side I've noticeable extra work to juggle various meetings / keep having to change common settings, and there's a risk of us being timed out.

Noting the day-of-week issue.   I have offered an evening time too and we could and should look to do wider surveys.   Many people who work from home can be flexible in their hours though I appreciate that some cannot.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2020, 14:34:22 »

Bumping this poll ... ends tomorrow.   "What time is best for YOU on Tuesdays?"

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 07:33:56 »

Result:

10 a.m.   - 2 (5.7%)
11 a.m.   - 2 (5.7%)
2 p.m.   - 5 (14.3%)
3 p.m.   - 5 (14.3%)
4 p.m.   - 8 (22.9%)
5 p.m.   - 6 (17.1%)
7 p.m.   - 4 (11.4%)
Only some other time/day   - 2 (5.7%)
Won't be coming - sorry   - 1 (2.9%)
Number voting: 16

We are sticking with 4 p.m. for next Tuesday - joining details for 19th May at http://www.passenger.chat/23477

Interesting to note only 35 votes over 16 voters - which suggests that people's schedules are still very full. Taking out the "sorry not coming" vote, the typical respondent could only make 2 of the 7 times offered, so (I suppose) 8 out of 15 for whom 4 p.m. works is remarkably high.

eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2020, 16:44:52 »

As someone getting used to the new world of remote working, and enlarging on Chris B's comments, it is not necessarily as flexible as you might think.

My new firm has quite a number of regular weekly video conference calls, for a number of reasons - to keep everyone abreast of developments, share knowledge, undertake team meetings and (from a pastoral point of view) just keep an eye on colleagues who might be struggling to cope with their new remote working conditions. It is good to see that there is a lot of concern about the potential problems of social isolation. All these go in the diary, and have to be fitted in with other non-work video appointments.

As it happens, Tuesday is meant to be one of my "days in the office" when I am meant to be working, now that I am part time, so I feel a little uneasy about taking time out. There's also the complication of switching from work laptop to home laptop too!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2020, 21:02:46 »

As someone getting used to the new world of remote working, and enlarging on Chris B's comments, it is not necessarily as flexible as you might think.

You may be right ... it differs for everyone.  Working it out, I first (formally) worked from home in 1980 and have had all sorts of different arrangements since.   Some were flexible, others absolute in terms of time that had to be worked, but I suspect I was very much a "trustee" and in a. small group where there was no precedent issues in relation to other people working from home and 'pulling a fast one'.   When I looked after people working from home, it frankly worked a treat. And, yes, I have been through 'staff issues' in my time.

Working from home ...  4 p.m. on a Tuesday ... yes, "I should be working", right through to "I have a work conference" and "I am on call centre duty at that time".    The world does not stop from early in the morning until late at night, and I suspect those messages could be said at any time.   I did consider offering 4 a.m. as an option, but guessed that would have been minimally acceptable to the extent of being considered a silly suggestion.

But to come along to the Coffee Shop at 4 p.m. on a Tuesday?   Won't suit all - I don't think any time would; noting the 7 p.m. got less votes though, and only 2 of 16 ruled out all Tuesday times.   We probably have the best of a difficult job, unless we switch between Tuesdays and another day (and then we get double continuity issues) or start a second group on a weekend day (and that's too much too quick, perhaps).

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2020, 21:11:27 »

I work with (for?) a lot of people who work Monday to Friday and volunteer in their spare time in the field I am involved in. Therefore tomorrow I have a virtual meeting at 10:30 with them.  The bonus is I don’t have to travel 100 miles for it but I do miss out on a roast dinner.  Personally I feel the virtual meeting is a better use of my time but the volunteers will miss the meal which recognises their unpaid contribution. 

The next meeting is scheduled for late November - I wonder how the land will lie then?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: