Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 08:35 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- What contributed to the Baltimore Bridge collapse?
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:48 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
09:05 Looe to Liskeard
09:35 Exeter Central to Okehampton
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 08:43:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[155] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[124] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[85] Return of the BRUTE?
[67] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[29] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Devon Metro case study ONLINE: May 20, 2020
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Metroisation of the Railways Devon Metro Case Study Wed 20th May, 3.30-5.30pm  (Read 7051 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 15, 2020, 10:02:21 »

Integrating local and national services to serve the community by enabling shorter headways

Free online event (but preliminary to a paid conference in October) by by Love Architecture Ltd
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/connectedcities-metroisation-of-the-railways-devon-metro-case-study-tickets-105064115598

Speakers

Mathew Barnes, Regional Development Manager, Great Western Railway
Integrating Metro and Mainline Services

Christian Irwin, Industry Programme Director Devon & Cornwall, Network Rail
Coordinating Rolling Stock, Timetabling & Infrastructure including new signalling

Councillor Andrea Davis, Cabinet Member for Infrastructure & Development, Devon County Council
Delivering New Stations

Camilla Ween, Head of Communications, ConnectedCites
Putting Rail at the Heart of Devon's Development

Agenda looks good but have some "time travel" miracles in it; I will update when that is clearer

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 12:31:56 »

I think GWR (Great Western Railway) are fearful of the Devon Metro as they might not be able to cope with the latent demand from places like Crediton, Cullompton, and Cranbrook all wanting to go to Exeter. Torbay also which is now a commuter town and I wonder why they have never had much enthusiasm for new stations at Marsh Barton and Edginswell and certainly not for an open crossing at Paignton which is in the Paignton masterplan.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 13:11:42 »

I think GWR (Great Western Railway) are fearful of the Devon Metro as they might not be able to cope with the latent demand from places like Crediton, Cullompton, and Cranbrook all wanting to go to Exeter. Torbay also which is now a commuter town and I wonder why they have never had much enthusiasm for new stations at Marsh Barton and Edginswell and certainly not for an open crossing at Paignton which is in the Paignton masterplan.

We still have little data on DA3 while GWR and the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) work out what can be done now and in due course and whether any of the elements won't happen after all.   However, what we do know is that more carriages are planned.     As I understand it, additional unpowered centre carriages from class 365 units will be added into class 165 and 166 units.   150/2 units of which GWR have 20 will be retained rather than lost (I believe 10 might have been due to go) and there's 19 class 769s (over)due to arrive too.  6 class 143 are due to retire at the weekend but in practise were furloughed in March, and the 2 x 150/0 left in March too.    All of which is a significant capacity step up.

With longer trains, handling extra passengers should not be a problem except for social distancing measures. I appreciate that's the elephant (or blue whale) in the room at the moment.  More frequent services (for a local train for Cranbrook) might be an issue, especially if The Mule is in use for diversions.   New stations on main lines - or indeed on branches that are running to train capacity - could be a problem.  I note the seminar talks about shorter headways which is all well and good until you try to run the Cornish Riviera, without stops Exeter to Plymouth, between two trains in the 15 minute pattern calling at St. Thomas, Marsh Barton, Exminster, Starcross, Dawlish Warren, Dawlish, Holcombe, Teignmouth, and Bishopsteignton on the way to Newton Abbot.  And I think that mix of trains is what makes some powers-that-be rather lukewarm, especially (if you listen to ministers, or business leaders from Plymouth) rail investment has been all about speed to London.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 18:02:22 »

The problem in the current timetables is that the slow trains are timetabled before the fast train and then held in Dawlish Warren for 10 minutes (longer if the fast train is late). The semi fast slow trains (non stopping Dawlish Warren to St Thomas) are plain daft as the train then gets held at Exeter St David's for a slot down to Exmouth. Not conducive to a metro service.  I always thought the Paignton trains should reverse at St James Park and the Exmouth served by the Barnstaple trains with a shuttle between St David's and Exmouth to make up the half hour service.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 19:31:20 »

I note the seminar talks about shorter headways which is all well and good until you try to run the Cornish Riviera, without stops Exeter to Plymouth, between two trains in the 15 minute pattern calling at St. Thomas, Marsh Barton, Exminster, Starcross, Dawlish Warren, Dawlish, Holcombe, Teignmouth, and Bishopsteignton on the way to Newton Abbot. 

In terms of new stations between Exeter and Newton Abbot, once Marsh Barton has opened, I wouldn't expect any others.  Exminster has already been explicitly been ruled out and I have to say I've not heard anything at all about Holcombe and Bishopsteignton.
chopper1944

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 19:49:38 »

Makes a case for a direct avoiding line between Exeter St Davids and Newton Abbot with no intermediate stations
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 03:41:31 »

I note the seminar talks about shorter headways which is all well and good until you try to run the Cornish Riviera, without stops Exeter to Plymouth, between two trains in the 15 minute pattern calling at St. Thomas, Marsh Barton, Exminster, Starcross, Dawlish Warren, Dawlish, Holcombe, Teignmouth, and Bishopsteignton on the way to Newton Abbot. 

In terms of new stations between Exeter and Newton Abbot, once Marsh Barton has opened, I wouldn't expect any others.  Exminster has already been explicitly been ruled out and I have to say I've not heard anything at all about Holcombe and Bishopsteignton.

Sorry Richard - tongue was in hypothetical cheek. As it was on the suggestion of a 15 minute pattern.  But - who knows where we'll be by the end of the next decade?

RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 13:11:51 »

Sorry Richard - tongue was in hypothetical cheek. As it was on the suggestion of a 15 minute pattern.  But - who knows where we'll be by the end of the next decade?

No worries, Graham.  Who knows indeed.  I suspect (and hope) we might be able to travel across Dartmoor by train.  That'll help the sea wall route of course.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 06:48:41 »

An interesting online seminar yesterday from Connected Cities on Metroisation - a case study of the Devon Metro with speakers including Matt Barnes of GWR (Great Western Railway) and Christian Irwin of Network Rail. Good to meet a number of well know community amd rail champions in the lobby ahead of the meeting too.

The session was a case study - so a look at services and service developemt, capacity issues, and studies of Cranbrook with Newcourt and Copplestone with honourry mentions, and a look ahead to Marsh Barton and Cullompton. Further ahead, looking at Totnes, Dartington and Dainton - the latter adding around 30k residences within 1km of a new station.  I will leave other members to post about specific stations and plans; when we broke out to workshops, I was one of a small minority who took a look towards the wider theory rather than GWR, Devon Council or Network Rail specifics.

(Ideal) connected Station principles .... a "Pedshed" central pedestrian area aroind a station, preferably on an existing line.  A high density mixed use area around that.  Wedges of green coming right into the centre, alternating with wedges of family housing - villages between the green wedges. Vehicle access via s circular road half way out with key high street around where it crossed the railway.

Greater / wider growth with communities around these connected stations running in to each other, and with a (?) frequent public transport service between them  with journey times of 15 minutes or less between them.

A further series of semininars planned and I will add to our diary the Bristol Metro one (planned for July) amd Oxford (planned for September) when the actual dates come my way

REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 16:54:17 »

The adopted masterplan for Paignton in 2015 sound like a good place to introduce a "pedshed" as it imagines a pedestrianised open level crossing and high rise flats/offices? as a focal point.
Paignton Town Square 2015 adopted masterplan by Robert, on Flickr

Open crossing with a Voyager approaching.

Paignton Town Square 2015 adopted masterplan plan by Robert, on Flickr

Plan shows the current Sports Direct and Pound shop replaced with a replacement high rise set further back
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 17:01:45 »

Was any mention of Edginswell station in Torquay which is another growth area? I believe Marsh Barton has the money and ready to start although the costs have risen out of all proportion.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 18:41:24 »

Was any mention of Edginswell station in Torquay which is another growth area? I believe Marsh Barton has the money and ready to start although the costs have risen out of all proportion.

Yes, Edginswell and several others were mentioned that didn't make it into my notes.  On Marsh Barton cost, there was a section on reducing the costs by turning the footbridges 90 degrees to avoid the need for too many expensive possessions, and a note of the particular possession problem caused by the sleeper going through at some ungodly hour.

I saw many friends from Devon on the Zoom session - PLEASE come into the thread and contribute some local stuff - I am off my patch here; haven't been to Devon since March!

RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2020, 21:11:38 »

I have to say I don't remember Edginswell getting a mention yesterday.  Having a dig around, I see it looks like the Torbay MP (Member of Parliament) has submitted it in the Restoring Your Railway/New Stations Fund process https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/plans-new-rail-station-torquay-3913230

Apart from Marsh Barton, stations mentioned by Cllr Andrea Davis of Devon CC were Okehampton, Tavistock and Cullompton.  ConnectedCities mentioned a few more but most of them struck me as being, at best, very long term indeed.   
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2020, 22:24:09 »

Planning permission for Edginswell Station was granted November 2016 and expired November 2019 so I suppose will have to go to planning again. It would serve the Torquay gateway scheme, which has not really got going, as well as new housing opposite, mostly built. It would also serve Torbay hospital and the possible new stadium for Torquay United if the owner scaled down his other plans for houses, retail, and hotels on the site. The stadium would have been convertible to a concert venue as well. It's all on a previous refuse tip so is brownfield and is ear marked for sport.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: