Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:27:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Gloucestershire Warwickshire Steam Railway (GWSR) - heritage line  (Read 89926 times)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 16, 2017, 21:50:40 »

Looks like the GWSR board has had a change of mind regarding the Broadway cafe according to their boardroom blog and the Broadway Station Rebuild blog.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 17, 2017, 11:19:05 »

Looks like the GWSR board has had a change of mind regarding the Broadway cafe according to their boardroom blog and the Broadway Station Rebuild blog.

They have acted as all good boards of trustees should act, they looked at the commercial viability of a café and made a proposal, however they have been willing to take on board the views of the volunteers building Broadway and in my view have agreed to a café provided a case can be made for its staffing etc.

I for one look forward to sitting at Broadway café and having a coffee, a slice of cake and a sandwich

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #92 on: November 18, 2017, 00:36:59 »

In polite circles, one partakes of the sandwich first, followed (perhaps) by a slice of cake.  Wink

Best wishes to the Broadway café, anyway!  Cheesy

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 18, 2017, 10:45:26 »

sikejsudjek3

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 23, 2017, 23:06:13 »

The first works train reaches Broadway station. Fantastic achievement for a heritage line - on time and on budget with most of the track laid with continuous welded rail to a very high standard. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGU4TTG5YTE&feature=youtu.be
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2017, 08:32:35 »

The first works train reaches Broadway station. Fantastic achievement for a heritage line - on time and on budget with most of the track laid with continuous welded rail to a very high standard. 

...wot, no hard hats, goggles etc....... Roll Eyes Wink
Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 24, 2017, 22:13:54 »

Perhaps GWSR aught to be encouraged to bid for the GWR (Great Western Railway) franchise
sikejsudjek3

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 25, 2017, 09:19:28 »

Goggles are used for rail cutting etc. and there are plenty of hard hats if needed. Which for watching a train go into a station they aren't !

FYI (for your information) from the HSE (Health and Safety Executive) site
"If there is no risk of injury to the head, then hard hats are not required by law."  Smiley
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 10:47:49 by sikejsudjek3 » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 25, 2017, 11:08:22 »

Goggles are used for rail cutting etc. and there are plenty of hard hats if needed. Which for watching a train go into a station they aren't !

FYI (for your information) from the HSE (Health and Safety Executive) site
"If there is no risk of injury to the head, then hard hats are not required by law."  Smiley

It was a joke that obviously backfired in your case.  I've worked on the track for the past 49 years and have only been hit on the head once and that was by a flying rolled up newspaper hurled out of a delayed train window by some frustrated commuter.  In the first 18 years of my career never wore a hard hat once (just a wooly one!).
sikejsudjek3

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 25, 2017, 11:51:51 »

Apologies if I took your comment the wrong way.  Smiley

Actually I too used to wear a hard had on my 10 years on P.Way - and it didn't save a single accident but was a huge pain in the arse when clipping up track because it kept falling off !

Anyway have a great Christmas and its certainly great news that the GWR (Great Western Railway)  are in Broadway.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: December 25, 2017, 19:18:26 »

I used to wear a hard hat underground. Without it, I wouldn't have hit my head on the roof so much, but it was handy for holding my lamp.

Now, please!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: December 25, 2017, 19:24:08 »

I once worked on a tunneling site - not high enough to stand up in. There was a doorway part way along installed for possible airlock if needed (never was), and once I walked straight into it (bent over so straight on top of my head) quite hard.  Very grateful for hard hat then!
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 25, 2017, 21:26:53 »

I used to wear a hard hat underground. Without it, I wouldn't have hit my head on the roof so much, but it was handy for holding my lamp.

Mine bears the scars of Witwatersrand quartzite. Hard knocks, good times, mostly ...
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2018, 17:00:10 »

Regulars or occasional visitors to the railway may have noticed, as have I, the component parts of a steam loco that has sat on wagons on the north headshunt from Toddington for a very long time and wondered what it was there for and what was going to be done with it.
Well, according to the GWSR Broadway extension blog it's No 76077 in dismantled kit form which is now moving to proper restoration. More details are also on the GWSR Steam Loco blog but it only had a short working life before retirement and so is actually in remarkably good nick. Nice to see an old loco being restored in what may be a relatively short while.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2018, 12:30:46 »

Nice to see an old loco being restored in what may be a relatively short while.

What, under 15 years maybe?

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
  Print  

Jump to: