Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:15:20 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: What happened near Dauntsey on Wednesday 20th May?  (Read 6987 times)
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: May 21, 2020, 00:10:36 »

Trains cancelled between Swindon and Chippenham because, according to RTT» (Real Time Trains - website), “animals on the line.”

Logically, even going slowly it wouldn’t take more than an hour or so to get errant livestock out of the four foot, but on Wednesday the 0902 ex-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) was RT at Wootton Bassett and 158 late passing Dauntsey, and normal service didn’t apparently resume until 2000.

What happened?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 06:12:06 »

Trains cancelled between Swindon and Chippenham because, according to RTT» (Real Time Trains - website), “animals on the line.”

Logically, even going slowly it wouldn’t take more than an hour or so to get errant livestock out of the four foot, but on Wednesday the 0902 ex-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) was RT at Wootton Bassett and 158 late passing Dauntsey, and normal service didn’t apparently resume until 2000.

What happened?

Even later than that ...

The perfect storm.  Sadly, livestock was hit by train(s?) which incurred damage.  Part of the damage wasn't a brake system which locked the train on the track, and from what I can gather at the worst possible location both in terms of what it blocked and how to get at it. If you take a look at the slipping re-opening times, getting the (?)train(s) moving and the line re-opened proved to be far harder than expected.

I first saw "disruption until 13:00" but that slipped in stages and the last I saw on Journeycheck was "disruption until 20:00" and issues carried on later than that; the 20:45 to Chippenham and Westbury was cancelled. Report from passengers (even for Chippenham) sent on a Temple Meads train diverted via Parkway and then back by train in an almost-circle as there was no alternative road transport even after all that time to set it up(or was it stood down too early).

Sadly, a person hit by a train at Starcross in the early evening caused further disruption ... the day concluded with the 22:00 Paddington to Bristol being 53 minutes late (awaiting the incoming train from the South West at Paddington) as the end to a day that the railways would rather forget.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 09:51:04 »

It would have no doubt been quite a big story had there been more than a small trickle of passengers travelling.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 10:37:47 »

Indeed - one of the trains had to be evacuated but it only needed a handful of taxis to convey them from the scene.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 16:19:19 »

Him indoors was the one who hit the cows...... 10 taken out in one go.  He was on the way down towards Chippenham and took them out at 125mph.

funnily enough, it was not his train that was disabled.  It carried on to Temple Meads with numerous faults at 40mph - it was the up train that only hit the arse end of one that was stranded.

The butcher of bridgwater is holding a massive BBQ next weekend - everyone invited.

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 16:39:52 »

Him indoors was the one who hit the cows...... 10 taken out in one go.  He was on the way down towards Chippenham and took them out at 125mph.

funnily enough, it was not his train that was disabled.  It carried on to Temple Meads with numerous faults at 40mph - it was the up train that only hit the arse end of one that was stranded.

The butcher of bridgwater is holding a massive BBQ next weekend - everyone invited.

Each to their own I guess, but I struggle to see the humour in such an incident.
Mookiemoo

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 17:13:32 »

There’s always one who doesn’t get gallows humour.

As it is, it’s for those affected to decide if they can see the lighter side.

And in this case, I toned it down a lot from what he was telling me to put

Ditched former sig - now I need to think of something amusing - brain hurts -I'll steal from the master himself - Einstein:

"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."

"Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love"
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 18:07:47 »

There’s always one who doesn’t get gallows humour.

Well there are at least two on this forum.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2020, 22:02:16 »

Add me to that as well.  It could have turned out to be a very serious incident indeed, and very fortunate that one of the two trains wasn't derailed at (very) high speed.  I don't see any humour at all in that.
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2020, 22:08:28 »

Yes it does remind me of Polmont, perhaps the lessons learnt there were put into the 800's design, wonder how an HST (High Speed Train) would have faired?
Incider
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2020, 22:40:39 »

Having watched the forward facing CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) it was lucky that there wasn’t a derailment, one cow was stood in the 4’.  That said, I certainly understand the black humour.  Total of 6 cows dead.  The up train had to be propelled past WB Junction and back down the badminton line to Stoke Gifford, due to being unable to drive from the London end.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2020, 23:55:19 »

It could have been very, very much nastier than it was.  Driver, for sure, would have been rather shaken; should he and his family be helped through that with.a bit of dark humour, that's fine by me.  Thinking of you, Drive.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2020, 07:26:05 »

Whilst those who are so inclined are allowing themselves a chuckle, perhaps some thoughts could also be spared for the animals, the feelings of the Farmer and his family, those who were left to clean up the mess, and any witnesses to the incident or the scene afterwards, which, having been involved in a similar incident some years ago, I know would have been horrific.

I absolutely "get" gallows humour if it's in the right place, but like so many things it's subjective and in the eye of the beholder - to some a particular line is humorous, to others it's simply crass or in poor taste. That's just a personal observation,as I said in my first post, each to their own.

I hope all involved swiftly recover from the experience, and that GWR (Great Western Railway)/NR» (Network Rail - home page) put measures in place to minimise the chances of a recurrence.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2020, 08:26:09 »

By coincidence, there was an incident of cows on the line in last nights Paddington/GWR (Great Western Railway) documentary on C5.

On gallows humour, in the military it's a way of life and a way of dealing with things. If the driver involved in yesterdays incident dealt with it by way of a bit of dark humour, then fine by me (accepting also that it might not have been so funny for others, as TG points out).

In my experience it was often deployed when something that could have been really serious wasn't. Or when something not very pleasant happened but even the victim could see the funny side of it.

An example I can think of....a colleague lost the end of a finger when it got in the way of a heavy pallet rolling into the back of a C130 in Kosovo.
He was from then on known as "digit" and didn't mind one bit.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2020, 08:39:24 »

An example I can think of....a colleague lost the end of a finger when it got in the way of a heavy pallet rolling into the back of a C130 in Kosovo.
He was from then on known as "digit" and didn't mind one bit.

I have a pal called Richard Hart who was diagnosed with a (later successfully treated!) defective heart valve - needless to say he has since invariably been referred to as "Dicky Hart" - it even got to the stage where the Doctors and nurses were joining in!!!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: