Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:34:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: new measures to “keep passengers safe now and level up for the future”  (Read 2289 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 23, 2020, 11:43:20 »

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/transport-secretary-announces-new-measures-to-keep-passengers-safe-now-and-level-up-for-the-future

Transport Secretary announces new measures to “keep passengers safe now and level up for the future”

Funding to protect and increase transport services, level up infrastructure and regenerate local economies after the coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak.

Published 23 May 2020
Department for Transport and The Rt Hon Grant Shapps MP (Member of Parliament)

* additional funding to increase frequency and capacity of bus, tram and light rail services, to help people travel safely
* further investment in railways to regenerate local economies and level up Britain
* preferred route announced for £1 billion upgrade to major road link which runs across Northern Powerhouse, from Teeside  to Cumbria
[continue]

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2020, 17:29:14 »

Looks promising for Devizes, Wellington and Cullompton on our patch.  Fawley and Isle of White might be considered in our patch as well.   

The bids that have been successful in this first round of the Ideas Fund are:

reopening Meir Railway Station between Stoke-On-Trent and North Staffordshire
reinstatement of the Barrow Hill line between Sheffield and Chesterfield
reinstatement of the Ivanhoe line
reinstatement of branch lines on the Isle of Wight
reinstatement of the Abbey line between St Albans Abbey and Watford Junction
reopening of Wellington and Cullompton stations
reinstatement of the Bury-Heywood-Rochdale lines
reinstatement of the Clitheroe to Hellifield railway line
reinstatement of rail access to Devizes via a new station at Lydeway
reintroduction of passenger rail services on the Waterside line

Bury-Heywood and Rochdale is interesting.  ELR use those metals at the moment and a common station in Bury might be tricky. 
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 17:50:22 »

As the line between Watford Junction and St Albans Abbey is still open I assume this is a proposal for upgrading to increase frequencies

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2020, 18:33:52 »

The idea of the passing loop here to allow an increased frequency of service has been going on for some time

https://www.abfly.org.uk/category/campaigns/passing-loop/
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2020, 18:40:12 »

The IoW bid seems quite interesting, effectively returning the island to late 1960s lines to Ventnor and Cowes.

What the bid promotes
The bid, submitted by the Isle of Wight Council and sponsored by Island MP (Member of Parliament) Bob Seely, proposes two potential schemes:

extension of the existing Island Line service (Ryde-Shanklin) south of Shanklin to reach Ventnor, calling at Wroxall;
integration with, and extension of, the existing Isle of Wight Steam Railway route to provide passenger services through Smallbrook from Ryde to Newport.
Department for Transport officials will now work with the council to agree the focus of the work and the funding which will be required, and on what timescales. 

https://onthewight.com/the-reinstatement-of-some-isle-of-wight-railway-branch-lines-just-moved-on-a-step-closer/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 18:45:07 »

The idea of the passing loop here to allow an increased frequency of service has been going on for some time

https://www.abfly.org.uk/category/campaigns/passing-loop/

If you think  the claim that a Clitheroe to Hellifield reopening is a little disingenuous, how about Watford to St Albans Abbey which is open and overhead electrified!!
It currently has a bus service because of the virus. Is this the start of there being a reopening inquiry after each time there is a bus replacement service???!! Smiley

I'm guessing it's the Bricket Wood passing loop that is being talked about re Watford - St Albans. 

Probably ... that's what's been talked about.    The line currently runs at train capacity with a service every 45 minutes which is rather too thin and very messy in terms of remembering when it's running - far from clock face.  http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/nrtt20/Table%20061.pdf . I used it a couple of years back ... took the connecting transfer bus from St Albans City to St Albans Abbey - got stuck in traffic and the bus designed to connect didn't.   On a short intermodal journey, a 45 minute wait feels a long time - even when poking round to take some good pictures for a quiz.

30 minute service, trains passing in the middle, sounds sensible and I expect the money is to work out in more detail than has been done so far ...
a) is it sensible
b) how would it be done
c) what would it cost

Oh help - we seem to have split threads ... I'll try and tidy up tonight.     Messy things, announcements that cover multiple lines.  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2020, 19:36:53 »

Does the IoW proposal mean an extension of 3rd rail,which I thought was not approved of?

And going back to another theme that I bore on, will the cycle route from Shanklin to Wroxall survive? Would seem a bit odd if it doesn't as IoW council/tourism has spent years selling the island as a cycling destination.

Apologies if I have made messy things even messier (wasn't he an astronomer?)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2020, 20:40:23 »

Does the IoW proposal mean an extension of 3rd rail,which I thought was not approved of?

Not necessarily.  Battery/3rd rail bi-mode trains from Vivarail or another supplier maybe?  I suspect nothing will come of either route mind you.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2020, 20:51:52 »

And going back to another theme that I bore on, will the cycle route from Shanklin to Wroxall survive? Would seem a bit odd if it doesn't as IoW council/tourism has spent years selling the island as a cycling destination.

Ideas off the top of my head:

The IOW might be a good place for battery operation.

If it was the intention to keep the cycle track between Shanklin and Wroxall, additional land would be needed to allow the two to run alongside each other.

Major work would be required at Wroxall because of redevelopment. The current lay of the land to the north of the site of Wroxall station would require either a level crossing (frowned upon of course) ot an expensive grade separation solution.

The site of Ventnor station was never very convenient being at the top of a hill as it is. I honestly wonder whether there is sufficient potential traffic to justify an extension south of Shanklin.

I can't think of a good place where you could put a station in Newport these days, leaving to one side a diversion or removal of quite a bit of housing development n the final approach to the town.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2020, 21:54:00 »

Just don't hold your breath folks.

The feasibility study into reopening the Portishead Line was carried out in 2009. 11 years later and there's still no trains.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2020, 22:12:59 »

In a wider context, do these sort of loud public proposals hint at the current administration's intention to address the economic implications of the current crisis with a rather more Keynsian or "New Deal" solution than with the previous monetarist/austerity orthodoxy?
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2020, 22:39:28 »

In a wider context, do these sort of loud public proposals hint at the current administration's intention to address the economic implications of the current crisis with a rather more Keynsian or "New Deal" solution than with the previous monetarist/austerity orthodoxy?

Might be - but a bit early to say IMHO (in my humble opinion)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 06:52:43 »

Ideas off the top of my head:

If it was the intention to keep the cycle track between Shanklin and Wroxall, additional land would be needed to allow the two to run alongside each other.

Major work would be required at Wroxall because of redevelopment. The current lay of the land to the north of the site of Wroxall station would require either a level crossing (frowned upon of course) ot an expensive grade separation solution.

The site of Ventnor station was never very convenient being at the top of a hill as it is. I honestly wonder whether there is sufficient potential traffic to justify an extension south of Shanklin.

I can't think of a good place where you could put a station in Newport these days, leaving to one side a diversion or removal of quite a bit of housing development n the final approach to the town.

Of all the options listed, the Isle of Wight looks the boldest.   I'm not sure if any of the others selected consider adding route mileage by relaying line on a trackbed out of use since Beeching's time.  An initial look at numbers like "what is the population of towns added to the network?" and questions like "can people make long distance journeys - get to the main network with a single change?" would suggest that this is an unlikely candidate to succeed BUT this one screams "Special Case" due to the ferry crossing. 

There is a repeating precedent of the IoW rail being special -  look at its different but parallel path to the main network with hand-me-down trains  from the London area (parallel to hand-me-down London suburban stock in Portsmouth - Cardiff).   There are also other special cases with an element of similarity where a ferry link to quite a small population makes for an unexpected good case.  I recall learning so much from an ACoRP (Association of Community Rail Partnerships) (as it was) event talking to someone from the West Highland line ... and learning about the notable car-less resident traffic the line carries off the small island ferry service - Eigg, Muck, Rhum and Canna (and there may be park and ride at Armadale, and passengers from Inverie).  There may also be comparators to offshore traffic from Millport, Brodick and Rothesay.

CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 08:22:19 »

I thought of alternative modes of power, but thought it didn't hang together with the money already committed to replacing existing Island stock and upgrading infrastructure.

I am not sure the population figures neccasarily add up to the increase in track mileage, unless it is predicated on the tourist market, but
Earlier today (Friday) members of a Facebook Group called ‘Restrictions on Isle Of Wight ferries’ sent emails to the leader of the Isle of Wight council, Dave Stewart, voicing their concerns over a possible influx of second-home owners and holidaymakers for the bank holiday weekend.
. Like a lot of tourist destinations showing their true colours at present, could the tourists just send the money but not come themselves!
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 10:07:27 »

... could the tourists just send the money but not come themselves!

Some old gags never lose their relevance  Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: