17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
06:40 Penzance to Cardiff Central
08:35 Banbury to Didcot Parkway
Delayed
06:44 Exeter St Davids to Cardiff Central
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 09:27:19 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[135] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[87] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[56] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[49] Where have I been?
[48] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[41] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Swanage Railway - return of passenger services and reopening to Wareham  (Read 68548 times)
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« on: April 05, 2008, 17:18:14 »

Pictures from my recent trip to the Swanage Railway can be found here:http://connersgallery.fotopic.net/c1487592.html.
This includes my new avatar, it is certainly a better way to travel.  Cheesy
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2008, 19:04:46 »

Welcome back!

Can't you just imagine D6515 on a rake of 6 Mark IIs from Portsmouth Harbour - or Weymouth - to Bristol and Cardiff on Summer Saturdays.    But I don't suppose there are any MkIIs available for such a service, are there? Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2009, 19:02:40 »

Not Great Western, but UK (United Kingdom) Railtours are running a through train London to Swanage on 1 April (first since 1972).  Provisional timings are Victoria dep 0855, return Waterloo 2030. Probably only of interest to those who can get to London easily mid week although I have manage to get advance fares from Chippenham. Details and bookings via Past Time.  http://www.pst-timerail.co.uk/index.php/news.html

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2009, 20:36:43 »

If ever there was a line that needs reconnecting to the main rail network in terms of running a through service then this would be high up on the list as anyone who has been stuck in traffic going in or coming out of Swanage in the summer can testify!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2009, 00:01:21 »

Good luck to them. Having spent a week in Swanage a couple of years ago, it's a lovely railway, and has developed really well over the last 20 years. Of all the railways that could successfully connect to the national network, the Swanage probably has most to gain if it can pull it off.

Barry Doe was very critical of preserved railways not trying to connect to the main line or provide a scheduled service recently. I have a lost of respect for Barry, but I was surprised at his comments. The fact is, whether it is the regulations surrounding the connection with the main line (as in the WSR), or the cost and commitment involved in providing a regular scheduled service, it is a huge commitment for any preserved railway.     
MarkRanger

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 13:34:34 »

I do agree that the Swanage line could gain so much from a connection.

I see also that one through train is now four! http://www.swanagerailway.co.uk/news503.htm

'Nuff said??

Mark
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 17:42:34 »

Great to see an extra three through trains are running this spring.

Though I share the excitement of the Chairman at the possibility of daily Wareham-Swanage services returning in 2013, why do we have to wait so long for these things to happen when they are needed now?
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 20:57:55 »

The first passenger train since 1972 is set to run on an historic steam-powered railway in Dorset next week.
The special train - called the Purbeck Pioneer - will depart from London's Victoria Station on Wednesday.
It is 37 years since the last British Rail passenger train ran on the Swanage Railway between Wareham, Corfe Castle and Swanage on 1 January 1972.

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7969743.stm

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 21:57:42 »

And I will be on it!

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 22:17:54 »

Brilliant, rogerw - lucky you!

Any possibility of a photo or two?

Best wishes, Chris  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2009, 13:03:18 »

If I remember my camera. I've got a 0530 start!

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2009, 18:04:50 »

An excellent day all round.  Much public and media interest
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/dorset/7975915.stm
Thanks must go to the Swanage Railway, Network Rail and John Farrow of UK (United Kingdom) Railtours for making it happen
Will post some pictures later

rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2009, 21:39:53 »

Some pictures from the day

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 19:58:51 »

From the Bournemouth Echo:

Quote from: Bournemouth Echo
First Swanage to London train since 1966

Swanage Railway enthusiasts will be turning back the clock on Saturday with the first steam train between the Dorset town and central London for more than 40 years.

The trip from Swanage, through Corfe Castle and into Waterloo station has not been completed by steam train since 1966, the year England^s football team lifted the World Cup.

But for the army of Swanage Railway supporters, Saturday^s five-hour journey will be no less of a victory than the nation^s Wembley triumph 43 years ago.

Swanage Railway Trust chairman Steve Doughty said: ^It will be a very historic and emotional day for everyone involved in the Swanage Railway.^

For many volunteers, the trip marks the end of a personal journey that started back in 1976, when a group of steam enthusiasts formed Swanage Railway from scratch.

Mr Doughty said: ^m absolutely delighted that the day has now arrived when the residents of Swanage and the Isle of Purbeck can once again travel to London and back by train.^

The Capital Christmas Express, pulling 11 coaches, is scheduled to depart Swanage station at 8am, with the 1940s-built Southern Railway Battle of Britain class Bulleid Pacific express steam locomotive No 34067 Tangmere leading the way.

Saturday^s journey is a one-off, run by the Railway Touring Company based at King^s Lynn in Norfolk.

But talks are continuing behind the scenes to get the 10-mile branch line between Wareham, Corfe Castle and Swanage linked up with the national network.

Mr Doughty explained: ^This is yet another important step forward for our project and further consolidates the Swanage Railway^s link to the national network, which has been the aim of several generations of volunteers since British Rail closed the line from Wareham in January 1972.

He added: ^Everyone on the Swanage Railway is very grateful to Network Rail and train operator West Coast Railways for its help in running this train over the three miles of line between Furzebrook and the main line at Wareham, which is currently closed to regular passenger trains.^

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 17:42:47 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Swanage steam and diesel railway in Dorset is holding a rescue exercise for the county's emergency services.
The training for police, ambulance and fire crews and Swanage Railway staff will involve carrying out a rescue in an area which is challenging to reach.
The mock train crash is taking place about a mile north west of Corfe Castle on 17 April.
Swanage Railway's steam train services on the day of the exercise will not be affected and will be running as normal.
Alan Greatbatch, exercise organiser and volunteer, said: "The safety of the public is always the Swanage Railway's primary concern. We have to plan and rehearse for the very unlikely, such as the scenario in this emergency exercise where a cyclist collides with a train on a level crossing."
Volunteers will be playing the casualties, a cyclist and the passengers on the train. They will all be made up with realistic injuries.
The organisers have requested that the public do not try to attend the exercise as any space will be required by the emergency services.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: