17:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
Delayed
06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 05:19:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Swanage Railway - return of passenger services and reopening to Wareham  (Read 68451 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2010, 15:11:53 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Swanage railway reconnection to network to go ahead

A Dorset town will be re-connected to the national rail network, restoring a link broken almost 40 years ago.

The Swanage Railway Trust had to raise ^3m so Network Rail can connect the Swanage line to the main network for the first time since 1972.

Purbeck District Council announced its support on Thursday a week after Dorset County Council gave its backing.

The funding is needed for re-signalling of the Wareham to Swanage branch line at Worgret Junction.

Once the work is completed regular passenger train services will resume from Wareham to Corfe Castle and Swanage.

The line is currently maintained by the Swanage Railway Trust which runs regular steam train trips between Norden and Swanage.

Councillor Beryl Ezzard, Purbeck's housing and social issues spokesperson, said: "The proposal helps to underpin one of the targets set out under the council's priority of helping all people access services locally. It has been a long journey to get to this point, but we can now progress to once again linking the district by rail, which will have enormous benefits for residents, commuters and visitors, and relieve congestion in the district."

Dorset County Council will now confirm to Network Rail that the reconnection will be included in the Purbeck Transportation Strategy.

The strategy was set up to improve movement around the district, taking traffic away from the congested A351 by using alternative forms of transport, a spokesman from the district council said.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Cruithne3753

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2010, 13:21:08 »

Hmm, interesting... been considering a quick weekend excursion down Swanage way, the weak link in the journey being Wareham-Norden... either wait how long for a bus, or it's an hour's trudge with a good weight on my back.  Other than that, it's finding a good place to camp for the night with maybe just a couple of days notice.

Matt
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2010, 14:35:44 »

Hmm, interesting... been considering a quick weekend excursion down Swanage way, the weak link in the journey being Wareham-Norden... either wait how long for a bus, or it's an hour's trudge with a good weight on my back.  Other than that, it's finding a good place to camp for the night with maybe just a couple of days notice.

Look also at the bus to Swanage via the Sandbanks Ferry - still a bus ride, but a fun one!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
John R

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2010, 19:49:52 »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/2480068/Passengers-escape-injuries-as-open-topped-bus-overturns-in-Dorset.html

Sometimes more exciting than you might wish it to be.
6 OF 2 redundant adjunct of unimatrix 01

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2010, 22:53:44 »

wow that could have been horrific
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2010, 19:50:53 »

From the Dorset Echo:

Train enthusiasts are chuffed after scooping ^3million to link Swanage Railway to the main line. They hope it will be full steam ahead for the project after Dorset and Purbeck councils together pledged cash for vital main line re-signalling work by Network Rail. The works will keep hopes alive for a permanent year-round train service to run from the main line at Wareham to Corfe Castle and Swanage.

Swanage Railway Trust chairman Steve Doughty said: ^We are absolutely delighted at this important once in a generation opportunity and long-term commitment to the development of public transport in Dorset. It keeps the door open for an all-year-round community train service and so deliver one of the Swanage Railway^s original goals from 1972, when the last daily service ran. We still have a long way to go but this is the most important step.^

Purbeck District Council approved the upgrade of the connection of the Swanage Railway to the national rail network as part of its Purbeck Transportation Strategy at a meeting in Wareham. Dorset County Council also voted to support the project. Up to ^3million across three years will come from a transport development fund which property developers pay into ^ the money being collected by Purbeck District Council and spent by Dorset County Council as the transport authority for the Isle of Purbeck.

Network Rail plans to re-signal the main London to Weymouth line between Poole and Wool during 2012.  If Worgret Junction is re-signalled at the same time it will cost ^3million. If the junction is re-signalled at a later date, it could cost up to ^10million.

The next step is for the Swanage Railway to take responsibility for the three and a half miles of Network Rail single line between Worgret Junction, Furzebrook and Motala which is the start of the Swanage Railway tracks to Corfe Castle and Swanage. Once acquired, the Swanage Railway would upgrade the three and a half miles of single line to the standards required for a regular service to Wareham.

Hack School Lesson #27: Whenever writing a positive story about steams trains be sure to describe those involved as "chuffed". Also phrases such as "full steam ahead" (although nautical in origin) and "back on track" should be included.

Should the story be less positive then phrases such as "off the rails" and "end of the line" should be used.  Tongue Grin
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 20:45:53 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
readytostart

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2010, 22:16:37 »

And if it needs re-thinking, then 'All change!'
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2010, 22:31:45 »

And of course, if writing a news story about a rail project that has failed, then it must be described as having "hit the buffers".

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2010, 12:10:36 »

Project announced - 'green lighted' -  Angry
Project then 'has brakes applied'
Project then 'given red light', or 'off the rails'...

Reminder for BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) journalists though.

Last year there were about three 'first trains' to or from Swanage via Wareham reported by the BBC. For these to have taken place, the Swanage Railway used its existing connection, so it isn't being 'reconnected'. It is being resignalled for normal use...

Paul 
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2010, 21:43:29 »

Now, you won't find a bigger supporter of the railway preservation movement than me, and I don't wish to sound too cynical, but I really have to question whether this is an optimal use of Purbeck District Council's money. To use that dread phrase, "in the current economic climate" if I was a council tax payer in that area I would have serious reservations about whether splashing GBP 3m on what is essentially a vanity project for the Swanage Railway represents a good use of money that I suspect could be more usefully spent elsewhere. After all, the Swanage railway is going to remain essentially a tourist operation, since if it was given over to provide any serious attempt at forming part of a public transport system that would jeopardize its whole character.
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2010, 12:10:32 »

I agree with you, but questions should also be asked of NR» (Network Rail - home page). How can a price tage of ^3 million be justified for what surely is a fairly basic junction upgrade. OK a new crossover probably needs to be installed, but it only needs to be a 15-25mph one. I think NR should spend some time at a few heritage railways to learn how to do projects more cost effectively! Some of the costs associated with the modern railway are truly eye watering and I can rarely see any justification.
MrC

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2010, 13:27:50 »

How can a price tage of ^3 million be justified for what surely is a fairly basic junction upgrade.
I'm guessing it's not just a basic junction upgrade. The whole line between Parkstone and Moreton is being resignalled and will be controlled by Bournemouth ASC. So all the logic in the ASC has to be a fair bit more involved to handle the boundary between an axle counter area and a traditional absolute block area. This all has to be tested to destruction by Siemens (presumably as I think they provided the original kit for Bournemouth). There may also be added complications for having to double-block Swanage trains (depending on what derogations, if any, they get - eg TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System), OTMR (On Train Monitoring Recorder)). Depending on the layout there may need to be reversible working which might not otherwise be needed. Then there's the possibility that NR» (Network Rail - home page) might have had plans for Worgret Jcn to be plain lined as without the Swanage connection there's no real reason for anything to go down there any more.
OK a new crossover probably needs to be installed, but it only needs to be a 15-25mph one. I think NR should spend some time at a few heritage railways to learn how to do projects more cost effectively! Some of the costs associated with the modern railway are truly eye watering and I can rarely see any justification.
Is there definitely going to be a new crossover (see above - there's already a crossover each side of Wareham station)? The speed of the crossover doesn't really come into it. Plus there's a /huge/ difference between what's acceptable on heritage railways and what happens on main lines nowadays.
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2010, 15:42:55 »

I've heard that if the ^3m was not raised then NR» (Network Rail - home page) would be obliged to maintain the current arrangements when re-signalling. Therefore the junction must be retained it's just a question of if it is upgraded to regular passenger carrying standard or occasional freight use. Therefore some infrastructure needs to be maintained at the junction, and the additional cost of upgrading I find really hard to believe would cost ^3m - given the large amount of resource already commited to the Dorset resignalling the additional cost of the junction work surely can't be that much.

Out of interest how much did the WSR junction upgrade cost a few years ago?
MrC

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2010, 08:11:10 »

Therefore the junction must be retained it's just a question of if it is upgraded to regular passenger carrying standard or occasional freight use.
If they retained the existing Jcn then they'd just need to keep a ground frame (either locally or remotely unlocked) and a position light signal or two somewhere all of which would be vastly simpler than a fully signalled automated link to an AB area. There really is a huge difference. Think about how the system is going to have to prove a route for a Swanage train, or a non-Swanage train, plus any potential conflicting movements. How will it interface with Wareham foot crossing? The ASC is set up so that a signaller can set up a route from an entry point to an exit point and then basically sit back and watch. Adding the Swanage, especially if they're having to cater for routes from Swanage past Wareham (eg to the proposed Holton Heath park & ride, or to Poole, or outside the ASC area, or in the Weymouth direction) means adding a whole new layer of complexity in train routing, the logic and software to handle it and the testing needed to get certified. That's where the real costs are, not in nuts and bolts at junctions - although also bear in mind that for the fully signalled option the NR» (Network Rail - home page) system would have to extend for some way onto the branch.

I, like you, don't like the cost of this but I can see where some of it is coming from.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2012, 14:38:30 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Swanage Railway closure anniversary marked by signalman

A retired Network Rail signalman is to return to a Dorset railway to mark the 40th anniversary of its closure.

The last British Rail train from Swanage to Corfe Castle and Wareham ran on New Year's Day in 1972.

Since the closure, Swanage Railway has been rebuilt from scratch by volunteers and ran its first passenger train in 2009.

Bob Richards, the signalman on the last journey in 1972, will be joined by former passengers for the anniversary.

Those passengers include Peter Sills and his father Frederick Sills, from Wareham, as well as Malcolm Munro, from Wool.

Peter Sills and Mr Munro will bring along their last British Rail train tickets from 1972, which cost 25p and 50p respectively.

Mr Sills, volunteer chairman of the Swanage Railway Company, said: "When I rode on that last train as a 14-year-old with my father in 1972, I never ever thought the railway would come back - especially when the tracks were ripped up for scrap during the summer of 1972."

Mr Richards said: "It will be a strange feeling to stand on Corfe Castle station exactly 40 years to the day since I signalled the last British Rail train from Swanage to Corfe Castle and Wareham on that dark and very cold night back in January, 1972.

"It was a very sad day indeed and no-one thought the railway would ever come back."

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: