Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:56:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Which UK network station has the best view? [DotD 25.5.20]  (Read 3541 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 25, 2020, 05:58:48 »

So - which UK (United Kingdom) network station has the best view?

For so many stations, the views start coming just outside the station.    From the station itself ... I suggest ... Kyle of Lochalsh, though I have memories of standing towards the south end of the platforms at the old Blackfriears

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2020, 08:28:42 »

The new Blackfriars station especially platform 1 looking East

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2020, 09:00:07 »

View from platform - Starcross. A potential Beeching victim thankfully saved for our generations to enjoy.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2020, 09:07:32 »

Saltash superb view of the Bridges and Tamar
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 09:10:20 »

The 'best view' is of course subjective. Standing at the eastern end of Clapham Junction or London Bridge may provide the best view for a rail enthusiast.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 10:32:20 »

Judge for yourself

Kyle of Lochalsh

Saltash

Starcross (not strictly from the station)

..and my choices - Ryde Esplanade

- or Aviemore
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 10:46:37 »

South Bermondsey, great view across to the City of London and Docklands.

Oh and The Den and CHP plant and the fact its in a not so nice part of London the views not so bad

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2020, 11:36:53 »

Dawlish and Starcross both deserve consideration. I'm also going to say Sea Mills is worth an honourable mention. I've not stood at Harlech station but my guess is that the castle as a backdrop throws it into contention.
It might be more objective to divide nominees into categories, say for example, coastal, inland and urban.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2020, 13:12:59 »

Looe ....especially if railmotor 93 is in the vicinity.
Dartmouth ...or doesn't that count as it has never seen a train...so Kingswear then.
Grange over Sands.
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2020, 14:26:48 »

So - which UK (United Kingdom) network station has the best view?

Of those not already mentioned - all good choices - how about Durham?
Jamsdad

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2020, 15:11:37 »

St Ives Cornwall, surely!
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2020, 15:57:01 »

From the north of England, add Garsdale, Ribblehead, Redmire on the Wensleydale Railway, any station between Kirkby in Furness and Ravenglass on the West Cumbria line.

And one that got away in Scotland - what a shame there's no longer a station at Killiecrankie! Ones that are still there - Plockton, and any on the line between Pitlochry and Aviemore, each with its own different landscape.

An unusual choice from my birthplace - the view north and west from the new over bridge at Reading- at least before some officious person blocked half of the latter by painting over the windows. I can no longer easily look out to see what the weather is like back home!

Elsewhere in the south - Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway, Exton and those lucky commandos at Lympstone must get a good view of the Exe at their station.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2020, 16:57:08 »

For a small, urban, and perhaps not well known station, Nunhead in south east London has an excellent view in clear weather.
It is the highest station in London, and from the down platform has a panoramic view across central London and beyond.
St Pauls cathedral, the post office tower, the millennium dome, and many other sites are visible.

An even better view may be obtained by illegally climbing the newish radio mast at the London end of the platform. Despite the usual anti climbing precautions, the climbing of this tower remains popular with urban explorers.
I am not of course recommending or advocating such trespassing, it looks dangerous as well as being illegal.

This station has an island platform, and from the up side the view is less interesting but does include the (former) broadgage towers.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2020, 21:44:46 »

For a small, urban, and perhaps not well known station, Nunhead in south east London has an excellent view in clear weather.
It is the highest station in London, and from the down platform has a panoramic view across central London and beyond.
St Pauls cathedral, the post office tower, the millennium dome, and many other sites are visible.

An even better view may be obtained by illegally climbing the newish radio mast at the London end of the platform. Despite the usual anti climbing precautions, the climbing of this tower remains popular with urban explorers.
I am not of course recommending or advocating such trespassing, it looks dangerous as well as being illegal.

This station has an island platform, and from the up side the view is less interesting but does include the (former) broadgage towers.

Hmmm, if you've not been climbing the mast, how do you know the view is so good?  Wink
Electric train
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2020, 22:19:06 »

I had forgotten about Nunhead, when on the platforms its easy to forget the area of London you are in

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: