Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:23:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Gloucester to Hereford via Ross on Wye  (Read 9612 times)
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2020, 10:50:51 »

I don't buy the alternative route for freight argument. You can avoid both the Severn Tunnel and the Lickey incline by going via Lydney and Kidderminster.

But I do agree that traffic into Gloucester is awful.  Having once had to get to the far side of the city for 9am I thought I had lots of spare time heading up the A48 from Chepstow, but ground to a halt well before the Highnam roundabout and eventually arrived 30 minutes late. Though whether a rail line all the way to Ross is a proportionate answer to that problem is debatable.  And a lot of the offices generating traffic are too far out of town for the current station to be of any use (as I found out during my slow crawl along the northern bypass).  
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2020, 12:39:23 »

And a lot of the offices generating traffic are too far out of town for the current station to be of any use (as I found out during my slow crawl along the northern bypass).  

Perhaps we need the Gloucester Docks branch reopened with a new use for one of these

https://www.flickr.com/photos/train-pix/8167455154/

Wink
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2020, 15:13:14 »

Back in my 'crayonista' days shortly in the mid-1970s as I sat looking at maps (as one does...) of the surviving railway network this was one of the gaps that seemed to be to be glaring (as gaps do...).

One thing that was obvious to my eyes was that the general grain of the railway network ran north-east to south-west: the Heart of Wales line from Craven Arms, the (Birmingham) - Worcester - Hereford - Newport route and the Birmingham - Bristol main line. The remaining network made it very difficult for any traveller to go across the grain. Not that I suppose in thinly populated Herefordshire many people would want to, but the inhabitants of Hereford have to make do with very circuitous routes.

In a sense re-opening the Hereford - Gloucester line would seem to plug the same sort of gap in Herefordshire and parts of the erstwhile county of Gwent that the Oxford to Cambridge line will do. It would make reaching Bristol and Swindon from large areas easier than using the dogs-leg via Newport and directly connect two large towns.

However it will be an uphill climb. It's roughly 20 miles from Grange Court Junction to Hereford and as a rule of thumb one can reckon with a cost of £20 million per mile for a single track line to £40 million for a double track line with more extensive land take and earthworks. These figures hold even if the right of way is mostly clear of buildings so £500 million I would reckon is a minimum.

But I hope somebody rises to the challenge.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2020, 15:51:29 »

In a sense re-opening the Hereford - Gloucester line would seem to plug the same sort of gap in Herefordshire and parts of the erstwhile county of Gwent that the Oxford to Cambridge line will do.
But Oxford and Cambridge have many hi-tech start ups, financial institutions, and all their associated highly paid people, not to mention the clout of Fenland Poly and Cotswold College. Whereas all Gloucester and Hereford have is the SAS. Hang on, I think I see a possibility here... a little coup d'etat, if no one objects? I don't think we've had one since 1688, we must be due another!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2020, 17:10:13 »

I recall (but cannot find) plans for a new town about 8 to 10 km out of Gloucester to the north of the River Severn and that could provide a significant additional traffic.

Found it!

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/news/gloucester-news/new-5000-home-eco-village-3799987

Developers want to build a massive 5,000 home “eco village” with it’s own railway station and park and ride alongside the A48 in Gloucestershire.

Proposals have been put forward for a brand new town on farmland between the river and the picturesque village of Westbury-on-Severn.

According to Ridge and Partners of Cheltenham it will be a self-contained, eco friendly village because they plan to reopen a closed train station on the main Newport to Gloucester railway line and build a new road linking the A48 to the A40.

Looking at a map, I suspect this would be to the west of a Grange Court Junction, where the Hereford via Ross-o-Wye line branched off from the still-open line via Lydney.

Noting what others are saying, though, I suspect that much of your commuter issue would not be dented unless your trains coming in via Grange Court extended to stations and Barnwood and at Churchdown. Cheltenham Spa station itself would be within walking distance for anyone working in the Benhall area of that town.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2020, 23:08:17 »

A station at Newnham, or even at Westbury-on-Severn itself, would be better positioned to capture the traffic from this new 'eco-town' as well as maybe from Cinderford, and without having to build a new line.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2020, 07:57:14 »

In a sense re-opening the Hereford - Gloucester line would seem to plug the same sort of gap in Herefordshire and parts of the erstwhile county of Gwent that the Oxford to Cambridge line will do. It would make reaching Bristol and Swindon from large areas easier than using the dogs-leg via Newport and directly connect two large towns.

Yes ... but comparisons are sensible to make, but there are many elements here which are not close comparisons

Location        Pop.    |       Pop.    Location

Cambridge (c)   123000  |       128000  Gloucester (c)
Sandy (c)       12000   |       4500    Micheldean and Longhope
Bedford  (c)    106000  |       11000   Ross-on-Wye
Bletchley (c)   37000*  |       1000    Weston under Penyard
Oxford   (c)    154000  |       70000   Hereford (c)

Miles between   85      |       30
Miles reinstate 55      |       20

(c) - offers connections to other rail services
* - 230000 if you include Milton Keynes as a whole

On "doglegs" from Bristol to Hereford - did trains even go via Ross-on-Wye when the line was open?  I've always though of that flow historically being via the Maindee curve at Newport, with through services until quite recent times.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2020, 09:04:36 »

On "doglegs" from Bristol to Hereford - did trains even go via Ross-on-Wye when the line was open?  I've always though of that flow historically being via the Maindee curve at Newport, with through services until quite recent times.

The line was used as a diversionary route when the Severn Tunnel was closed for engineering works. A photograph appeared in Modern Railways sometime in 1963/64 showing a Warship at Longhope on just such a train.

Other than for that reason I am unaware of any through traffic using the route
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2020, 09:29:31 »

Yes ... but comparisons are sensible to make, but there are many elements here which are not close comparisons

Location        Pop.    |       Pop.    Location

Cambridge (c)   123000  |       128000  Gloucester (c)
Sandy (c)       12000   |       4500    Micheldean and Longhope
Bedford  (c)    106000  |       11000   Ross-on-Wye
Bletchley (c)   37000*  |       1000    Weston under Penyard
Oxford   (c)    154000  |       70000   Hereford (c)

Miles between   85      |       30
Miles reinstate 55      |       20

(c) - offers connections to other rail services
* - 230000 if you include Milton Keynes as a whole

The comparison also to make between those two is how far is the shortest alternative rail route?  In the case of Oxford, Milton Keynes, Bedford to Cambridge it is via London.  Gloucester to Hereford can be via Worcester or Newport - not sure which is shortest.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2020, 10:08:55 »

In rough figures, 88 miles via Newport and 58 Miles via Worcester.  Better connections via Newport with at least hourly services on each leg as against the roughly two hourly service to Worcester. Fares are the same by either route

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2020, 16:05:26 »

In a sense re-opening the Hereford - Gloucester line would seem to plug the same sort of gap in Herefordshire and parts of the erstwhile county of Gwent that the Oxford to Cambridge line will do.
But Oxford and Cambridge have many hi-tech start ups, financial institutions, and all their associated highly paid people, not to mention the clout of Fenland Poly and Cotswold College. Whereas all Gloucester and Hereford have is the SAS. Hang on, I think I see a possibility here... a little coup d'etat, if no one objects? I don't think we've had one since 1688, we must be due another!
I like that idea...who dares, wins.

I appreciate that the economic base is very different - I specifically mentioned that Herefordshire is thinly populated. My remark was in reference to the re-instated Oxford - Bletchley - Cambridge line cutting across the general grain of the mainly north - south and northwest - southeast main line alignments in its area where no such links exists at the moment. In either case the re-instated lines would/could make it more attractive to use rail for many journeys which otherwise would not be attempted by rail. As an example a Leominster to Gloucester (or Swindon) journey would be easier in the same way as a Bristol or Swindon to Milton Keynes journey will be after East-West Railway opens.

Whether such routes will cover their costs is another question entirely.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2020, 10:52:27 »

4 page "Dossier for Gloucester-Ross-on-Wye-Hereford Rail Link – by Richard Pill May 2020" at https://irp-cdn.multiscreensite.com/d0a88cb3/files/uploaded/Gloucester-Ross-on-Wye-Hereford%20rail%20link%20Dossier%2026-05-2020%20.pdf

In Brief: The ERTA have identified the Gloucester-Ross-on-Wye-Hereford rail link as a missing strategic rail link. It would combine a local, regional and inter-regional sustainable transit corridor for both passenger and freight movements sustainably.

Noggin

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 03, 2020, 17:02:04 »

In all honesty I would have thought that regional rail electrification would better serve the greater good. But certainly protect the trackbed and build the market with a high-quality bus link.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2020, 20:09:26 »

In crayonistadom, I looked at the OS (Ordnance Survey) map and tried to retrace the route from Ross to Glos. It seems to have been almost designed to avoid places! It passes just by but not quite in Longhope, which itself is not quite Mitcheldean, which is not that large a place anyway. It also misses Newnham and Westbury-on-Severn. Continuing crayonistadom, I'd have thought a northern route might be more useful today, via Newent and Highnam.

Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2020, 20:39:12 »

In crayonistadom, I looked at the OS (Ordnance Survey) map and tried to retrace the route from Ross to Glos. It seems to have been almost designed to avoid places! It passes just by but not quite in Longhope, which itself is not quite Mitcheldean, which is not that large a place anyway. It also misses Newnham and Westbury-on-Severn. Continuing crayonistadom, I'd have thought a northern route might be more useful today, via Newent and Highnam.
The northern route via Newent went to Ledbury.

I would have thought a reopened Grange Court station, or possibly next to the A48 at Westbury, would be a reasonable P&R (Park and Ride) station catchment for the Forest of Dean.  If you also had a station at Barnwood to cater for commuters at the Gloucester end and a decent frequency of trains then that could be a viable option. Wouldn't help with Ross on Wye mind. 
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: