Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:00 Bedwyn to Newbury
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 06:22:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Independent owned and managed local railways? Paul Salvesen refloats the idea  (Read 1112 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 27, 2020, 15:51:37 »

From Paul Salvesen (one of the fathers of Community Rail) in the Yorkshire Post

Passengers have disappeared and some lines serving rural areas have had services temporarily suspended with bus replacements. The trains will come back, but it could take years to return to pre-virus patronage levels. And we will work and play in different ways.

The worst thing that the railway industry could do is to assume things will go ‘back to normal’ and government will bail them out.

The Rail Reform Group – an independent think-tank of railway professionals – recently published a series of papers called The Enterprising Railway, looking at opportunities to develop a railway based on ‘the common good’.

I set out how the more rural parts of the rail network could survive and prosper post-pandemic. The core argument is that they could be at the heart of local sustainable development which responds to people’s yearning for a better quality of life to the one we had pre-virus.

Local railways in the North are now operated by Northern Trains Ltd, a wholly-owned government company. Infrastructure is owned and managed by Network Rail, which is also state-owned.

However, the ‘Northern Trains’ arrangement is not permanent and the big question is what will come after it? Nobody really knows.

The idea of learning from some continental railways, where some rural networks are independently owned and managed, has been around for a long time. ...

Examples quoted in the article are all north of Watford (actually I think they're all north of Warrington) but there is certainly some food for thought - and in some ways we are thinking the unthinkable at present.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2020, 16:15:01 »

Some thoughts that fed themselves into my brain when I read this is that there have been attempts of privately owned railways to provide a community service in the past (eg KWVR and WSR) and they've tended not to work. That's not to say they wouldn't work in the future, but just to shed some cold light of day on the idea.

The second thought was I wonder if these people have been watching too much Titfield Thunderbolt...
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2020, 16:42:02 »

The second thought was I wonder if these people have been watching too much Titfield Thunderbolt...

I think they must have.

A quick glance at many of the heritage railways websites shows the running costs even when nothing is running and any fully time staff have been furloughed.  Most are stating several thousands of pounds a week.

Heritage railways have a heavy reliance on voluntary staff to run a service, its the vintage rolling stock, infrastructure and the volunteer effort that is often the attraction of heritage railways a commercial operation providing a public service could not relay on volunteers and vintage rolling stock and vintage infrastructure

Railways are expensive things to operate   

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2020, 17:05:03 »

The other promblem with running independant routes is that you will need more stock and staff because each line will have to cover maintenace/failures so more spare stock needed plus workshop space, then there's extra staffing to cover rest days, sickness annual leave.

Where as although Northern has it's problems it does gain from economy of scale with centralised maintenance, a larger pool of staff to cover.

A classic example of what I mean was when Hull trains lost its spare 5th unit, dropped on the floor, although it ould cover the diagrams with 4 units its perforamnce soon deteriorated due to the extra workload on the remaining units.

So if a line required  4 units to cover the diagrams with a spare and you have 5 lines  that's 25 units, if they were from pool you's get away with 23.

It's the balance between Utilisation and Availability.

One of the best illustrations this is in that fasinating book Science at War HMSO. Where by a Coastal Command Squadron was tolds to ignore the stats and fly whenever they had a plane and crew. The flying hours rocketed but the availability stats plumetted.

The lesson is make sure you use the right stats.

The other thing whatever happened to Operational Research and Systems Analysis?
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2020, 18:58:16 »

My very limited knowledge of locally owned and controlled railways was of Denmark, where I was aware of such systems in Jutland and Zealand and adjoining islands in the east. A quick check on Wikipedia reveals that they have largely merged into three larger operators in the last 20 odd years, backing up the comments above.

Railways are always dependent upon a degree of subsidy, and the greater the number of smaller units, the less their resilience and the greater the overhead for each management structure.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2020, 19:42:18 »

I though this was mainly a Swiss thing. When I was last there in 2001 I noted that some of the narrow gauge railways around Montreux were merging, and got the impression that the usual form of ownership of small Swiss railways was a kind of non-profit company (like for example our utilities were to start with). Wikipedia has a bit more on this:
The Transports Montreux–Vevey–Riviera (MVR) was a coming together, in 2001, of two small railway companies and two funicular companies in the Vevey / Montreux area of Switzerland. Some of these companies were, themselves, formed of amalgamations which had taken place over the years. Since this time they have been added to the marketing portfolio of the MOB group and are featured as part of their "GoldenPass services".

So they are joining into larger operations, though Montreux still has a second slightly-less-narrow gauge one. But of course it's usually the case that if you want to use the Swiss way of doing something, first you have to be Swiss.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2020, 19:55:16 »

In my opinion

put in a bridge at Sheffield to get to the trams.
Heaven forbid network rail allowing an under pass at Sheffield station to gain access to the trams.
Ten million passengers use Sheffield in one year.
Then put ticket gates in at Sheffield station.
As well as at Chesterfield Barnsley Rotherham Doncaster and possibly at Meadow hall,
and make sure Huddersfield station ticket gates are staffed most of the day.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2020, 05:49:43 »

Talk in the original article seems to be of local community management, subcontracting train operation back to a national social enterprise company.  And perhaps (one wonders) infrastructure maintenance back to a national organisation which has the benefit of size / volume. I'm a bit   dubious for many reasons but this sort of thing is several steps above my 'ken'.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2020, 06:54:20 »

My very limited knowledge of locally owned and controlled railways was of Denmark, where I was aware of such systems in Jutland and Zealand and adjoining islands in the east. A quick check on Wikipedia reveals that they have largely merged into three larger operators in the last 20 odd years, backing up the comments above.

Railways are always dependent upon a degree of subsidy, and the greater the number of smaller units, the less their resilience and the greater the overhead for each management structure.

We should also look at our history in the UK (United Kingdom), 150 years ago there were lots of small independent railways, many of them were acquired by bigger companies.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: