Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
07:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
07:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
08:13 Newbury to Bedwyn
08:46 Bedwyn to Newbury
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
04:54 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:24 Exmouth to Paignton
07:38 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
07:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Delayed
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 07:42:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[82] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[76] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[74] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[67] Return of the BRUTE?
[57] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Opportunities to do more engineering while things are quiet  (Read 1696 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 06, 2020, 16:09:07 »

One of the questions asked recently - "does the reduction in train services at present allow for engineering works on trains and track to be caught up on?".

Certainly the reduction of services has allowed the remaining ones to run much more reliabely ... ppms and cancellation rates against key route schedules being  dramatically improved.  Dark humour joke is that railways run far better without passengers; reallity is that removal of congestion, and a better availability of crew and trains, has done wonders.

For significant engineering works, there's a great deal of preparation to be done ahead of time and I would expect little to be brought forward.  So I am surprised and delighted to pick up from the Daventry Express works to Kilsby tunnel on the West Coast main line:

But Network Rail's engineers are using the lull in regular services and May's two Bank Holiday weekends to start work early on replacing track and improving drainage in the 1½-mile long tunnel, which is usually used by around 400 trains each day between London and Birmingham.

Kilsby Tunnel is on a two track section of the main line; there are four track from London to Roade, where the second pair ("slow" lines) loop off to the east to Pass thrrough Northampton and then head north through Long Buckby to rejoin the main line just south of Rugby.  So not all that long a diversion, but I can recall wheel-squealing tight curves into Northampton and a bit of a nightmare when there are problmes on the direct line at normal traffic levels.

The second part of my question - catching up on trains mainenance - I don't know.  On one hand, social distancing in the workshops.  On the other hand, stuff is not running as many miles and getting to need service anything like as quick!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2020, 21:37:34 »

It might have been a good time to get working on the Portway Station now that the Severn Beach Line is on a much reduced commuter service.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 13:58:46 »

Kilsby Tunnel is on a two track section of the main line; there are four track from London to Roade, where the second pair ("slow" lines) loop off to the east to Pass thrrough Northampton and then head north through Long Buckby to rejoin the main line just south of Rugby.  So not all that long a diversion, but I can recall wheel-squealing tight curves into Northampton and a bit of a nightmare when there are problmes on the direct line at normal traffic levels.

Yes, Northampton is certainly not geared up to take express trains!  Not only have you got the very slow 20mph restriction immediately south of the station, which there is little prospect of doing anything about, but the layout through and north of the station and then onwards to Rugby is pretty restrictive:  Twenty or thirty through the station area, raising to sixty for quite a long stretch until after the curves north of the town, and then finally 75mph through to Rugby. 

Really that 75mph should be at least 90mph (there has been talk of that over the years), and the whole track layout immediately north of the station could do with optimising.  I have a friend who's a driver on the WCML (West Coast Main Line) and his heart sinks when he gets diverted that way!

Worth watching on the OTT (Open Train Times website) map at the moment as you can see how slowly everything moves, how many extra trains there are, and how long the expresses being diverted take to weave through Northampton:  https://www.opentraintimes.com/maps/signalling/lec4#T_NMPTN

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 19:30:10 »

While its seems to a great idea, however it should be remembered that NR» (Network Rail - home page) maintenance teams have been impacted by the virus or having to self isolate, the same applies to the contractors, I suspect the ToC's will have had similar issues,

Maintaining the social distancing has meant many tasks which require staff to work closer than 2 metres to each other to be assessed, this has taken time to re asses tasks to be compliant with Covid-19 restrictions and still safe to do, to issue the PPE and guidance on when a how to use it and dispose of.

Don't forget the separation also applies in mess rooms, briefings, welfare facilities (toilets and showers), office, vans

and finally having off the shelf shovel ready projects by which I mean all the designs signed off, tools, equipment, martial, machines, staff etc ready to go

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 08:39:41 »

From our GWR (Great Western Railway) contact at the end of last week (question had been raised at our liaison meeting a few days earlier)

Hitachi and maintenance of IETs (Intercity Express Train) - There is a great deal of work being completed on the two fleets at the moment and we are working closely with Hitachi to ensure they are using the time as efficiently as possible. We have effectively been cycling the sets between ‘stored units’ and ‘service units’, which enables Hitachi to get as many modifications completed on the units as possible with the materials and resources they have – once a unit is completed it is released and an alternative unit is stopped for modifications.  They have made good progress with modifications, customer facing defects, deep cleans and work is underway on the TMS software update.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 08:56:54 »

......I wonder if they've fixed the issues (with the DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) cameras) so that IET (Intercity Express Train)'s can be used on the Bedwyn's without a TM(resolve)?
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 09:37:38 »

We seem to have diverged into IET (Intercity Express Train) thread territory.  For the latest on that see here:

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=18792.msg288518#msg288518
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 13:59:39 »

We seem to have diverged into IET (Intercity Express Train) thread territory.

Maybe so, maybe not. I saw this was relevant to the thread title as it is engineering of a sort, and it has been well-documented that the IET fleet has been much more lightly-used during lockdown than in normal times.

Anyway, I don't see any recent update on this in the IET thread so will ask on there.

What I can see locally is that there are no IET's on the Bedwyn's at the moment, presumably as the turbo's which have returned can be run DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)), which I assume is preferable during the current situation.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 15:54:13 »

They’re only running to and from Reading so a Turbo is preferable - means they can use P1-3 at Reading.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 19:35:58 »

They’re only running to and from Reading so a Turbo is preferable - means they can use P1-3 at Reading.

Isn't platform 3 long enough to turn a 5 car train ... Bournemouth Voyagers - or is that a just the shorter carriages.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 22:17:54 »

Isn't platform 3 long enough to turn a 5 car train ... Bournemouth Voyagers - or is that a just the shorter carriages.

Yes, Platform 3 is long enough for a 5-car Voyager/Turbo (as are Platforms 1 and 2), but at between 120-124 metres none of them are long enough for a 5-car IET (Intercity Express Train) at a nominal 130 metres.  I think one might just fit in behind the signal on Platform 3 as it's a little way off the platform (and, uniquely for Reading, ground mounted), but it doesn't feature in the SDO (Selective Door Opening) system, so use of it would require manual door selection and obviously isn't encouraged.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2020, 17:13:19 »

It might have been a good time to get working on the Portway Station now that the Severn Beach Line is on a much reduced commuter service.

More likely that the pandemic is used as an excuse for missing the deadline. This is WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about), you know.

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2020, 16:24:47 »

More likely that the pandemic is used as an excuse for missing the deadline. This is WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about), you know.

Now that you say it, it seems so obvious.  Silly me.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: