Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:18:21 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Lynton and Barnstaple Railway appeal: Bratton Fleming station back on the market  (Read 16898 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2020, 15:01:18 »

...I think that trumps listing in terms of protection.

Last I heard it was listing towards Torquay...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2020, 06:22:45 »

From around 10 a.m. on 4th July 2020

https://www.facebook.com/groups/lyntonandbarnstaple/permalink/10163850302805128/

Update on Bratton Fleming Station Fund. We urgently need more £500 slots filled now that the station is yet again back on the market. There is a fillable-PDF form to allow you to do everything online. Fill in the form and email it to the address on the form, and do a BACS bank transfer of your £500 (or multiples thereof!!). The fillable form is in the Files section of this group.
Alternatively, visit pout JustGiving site to donate smaller amounts: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/brattonfleming

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2020, 17:52:32 »

Can I ask a few things? the house is being sold for approx £350,000 so 700 persons at £500 each would suffice.

I think what we should get, is maybe a chance to stay at the location,maybe one night only to those who contributed to the fund

Or if thats not possible  why not rent out the property for a period of a maximum one week to non contributers.

I personally would not be keen on seeing my name on a plaque saying thank you to XXX for helping securing  these premises.

The cheque is already written,but if the house is not bought I would like my money returned.

Surely there must be various grants we could obtain to get all the money? Nathional Lottery and the like.

Unable to find out how long we have to collect the funds.

Can some one give me an exact location of where the house is.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2020, 21:21:56 »

Can I ask a few things? the house is being sold for approx £350,000 so 700 persons at £500 each would suffice.

I think what we should get, is maybe a chance to stay at the location, maybe one night only to those who contributed to the fund ...

Huge number of shareholders ... practical management issues for decades ...

I suspect the Exmoor Holdings (is that their name?) have skills and ideas that far surpass yours and mine ... and are the people to look at and get in touch with via the "£500 or more" link.    But, yes, there is potentially a hire home business in there.

I wonder if anyone has approached the Landmark Trust?   https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/about-us/  and asked the $64,000 about how they would feel to covenant to allow a railway to come through?

The Landmark Trust is a charity that rescues important buildings that would otherwise be lost.
We take on historic places in danger and carefully and sensitively restore them. By making them available for holidays, we make sure they can be enjoyed by all, both today and for future generations. We have in our care over 200 buildings in Britain, several in Italy and France and one in Belgium.

Though they range from the sober to the spectacular, all our buildings are rich in history and atmosphere. They include picturesque pavilions and medieval long-houses, artillery forts and Gothick follies, clan chiefs’ castles and cotton weavers’ cottages, the homes of great writers and the creations of great architects, from Browning to Boswell, from Pugin to Palladio.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2020, 21:58:18 »

I wonder if anyone has approached the Landmark Trust?   https://www.landmarktrust.org.uk/about-us/  and asked the $64,000 about how they would feel to covenant to allow a railway to come through?

The Landmark Trust is a charity that rescues important buildings that would otherwise be lost.
We take on historic places in danger and carefully and sensitively restore them. By making them available for holidays, we make sure they can be enjoyed by all, both today and for future generations. We have in our care over 200 buildings in Britain, several in Italy and France and one in Belgium.

Though they range from the sober to the spectacular, all our buildings are rich in history and atmosphere. They include picturesque pavilions and medieval long-houses, artillery forts and Gothick follies, clan chiefs’ castles and cotton weavers’ cottages, the homes of great writers and the creations of great architects, from Browning to Boswell, from Pugin to Palladio.

I can vouch for the quality of Landmark Trust accomodation. We had a family holiday back in the 1960s staying at Fort Clonque on (sort of) Alderney. It's actually built on an off island rock attached by a tidal causeway.  It was like a dream come true for us that our parents had chosen a 'castle on an island' for our holiday.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2020, 22:26:04 »

Can I ask a few things?

[...]

Can some one give me an exact location of where the house is.

We might not be the best people to ask, but I'm sure the L&B or Exmoor Associates could quickly answer all your questions. The house is here: https://goo.gl/maps/V9XjxuUA2StETeHt5

I wonder if anyone has approached the Landmark Trust?

The Landmark Trust take on buildings that are in danger of falling down. I don't think anyone's suggesting that that's likely to happen here; it's all about securing the building and trackbed for the L&B.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #51 on: July 06, 2020, 06:38:46 »

I wonder if anyone has approached the Landmark Trust?

The Landmark Trust take on buildings that are in danger of falling down. I don't think anyone's suggesting that that's likely to happen here; it's all about securing the building and trackbed for the L&B.

Yes ... I quoted them as an organisation that takes on buildings for historic purposes but you're right that they tend to go for "last legs" stuff.  Others such as the National Trust also take on buildings as holiday lets with a sympathy to history - even quite close to the L&B.

https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/holidays/mortuary-cottage-devon?HolidayMapClick=012002
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/holidays/woolley-lodge-devon?HolidayMapClick=012003

Key here would be heritage v preservation and being sure - should someone take it on - they would ensure trains could pass in due course.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 07:12:46 by grahame » Logged

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 08, 2020, 18:54:21 »

L&B Facepack page reports that the crowdfunding aspect of their appeal has reached £15,000 of their £20,000 (formerly £10,000) target.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 08, 2020, 23:02:00 »

I think rolling targets are a feature of JustGiving...

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2020, 00:35:24 »

It seems that an agreement has been reached with the vendors to get funds together by the end of the month. There also seem (according to their Facebook page) to have been some substantial donations. It's getting interesting now.

Edit: Developments have even inspired me to dust off the wallet an make a very modest donation a few hours ago.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2020, 05:46:46 »

It seems that an agreement has been reached with the vendors to get funds together by the end of the month. There also seem (according to their Facebook page) to have been some substantial donations. It's getting interesting now.

Indeed. I note that the vendor now has a high-interest property.  Any prospective purchaser will quickly become aware of the very large number of people wanting the house and land they are selling to be available at a future date to a re-opened railway, and that will not be positive on the price offer, I would not have thought - rather like buying a property with planning blight.  Should a prospective purchaser not be aware very quickly in the interest (s)he will be very likely to change his/her decision to offer once (s)he finds out.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2020, 11:49:39 »

Indeed. I note that the vendor now has a high-interest property.  Any prospective purchaser will quickly become aware of the very large number of people wanting the house and land they are selling to be available at a future date to a re-opened railway, and that will not be positive on the price offer, I would not have thought - rather like buying a property with planning blight.  Should a prospective purchaser not be aware very quickly in the interest (s)he will be very likely to change his/her decision to offer once (s)he finds out.

On the other hand, it wouldn't be the first time that someone has been able to hold a would-be purchaser to ransom. This happened to Bristol's MetroBust, when someone realised too late that they had forgotten to buy the land need for the second bridge at Bathurst Basin. You can name your price. The chap who built my own house found too late that what he thought was part of the drive actually belonged to a neighbour. He, or rather his negligent solicitor, ended up buying a strip of terra firma at an equivalent price per acre that would not have looked out of place in Mayfair.

With the station, I think there could be a good opportunity to make a return on the investment, subject to a decent rapport between owner and railway.

Now, please!
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2020, 11:56:59 »

As a quick update to those following the Bratton Fleming station purchase appeal. The Just Giving part of the fund raiser has passed the 17 grand mark so there seems to still be a fair bit of momentum there.
I'm not completely sure what the overall total is, or indeed where the "winning line" to guarantee the acquisition has been placed so I think the bottle of champagne (or Somerset/Devon cider) is still on ice.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2020, 21:59:12 »

Apparently the Just Giving appeal has passed £19,000 today.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 23, 2020, 13:03:21 »

Well the good news from Exmoor Associates and Friends of Bratton Fleming Station is that THEY have now put in an offer for the station:

http://www.exmoor-associates.co.uk/2020/07/bratton-fleming-purchase/
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 17:47:34 by Red Squirrel » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: