Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:15 28 Mar 2024
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:33:06 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Lynton and Barnstaple Railway appeal: Bratton Fleming station back on the market  (Read 16901 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« on: June 04, 2020, 12:39:59 »

Bratton Fleming Station, on the route of the Lynton and Barnstaple railway, was put on the market in March 2020. Exmoor Associates, who seek to buy land on the trackbed of the L&B to enable it to extend, were unable to come up with the purchase price in time and a sale was agreed to a third party.

That sale has now fallen through, and the property is back on the market. Exmoor Associates have launched a JustGiving page to allow people to make donations. I have chucked a few quid in their direction using this method, and wish them the very best!

If you'd like to support them, the details are here: http://www.exmoor-associates.co.uk/2020/06/justgiving-now-for-bf-station/

If you are a bit more flush than me, you could also consider their share offer, whereby supporters can purchase £500 shares in the property. Details of that offer are here: http://www.exmoor-associates.co.uk/2020/06/bf-station-for-sale-again/

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2020, 13:50:35 »

Details at https://www.stags.co.uk/properties/12843867/sales

Bratton Fleming, Barnstaple
Offers in excess of £325,000 | 2 bedrooms | 0.63 acres

https://mr2.homeflow-assets.co.uk/files/property_asset/image/3994/7177/ViDDRTT1qU6IGeioRJojxw.pdf

A charming detached conversion of a former Victorian station in tranquil rural location

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2020, 14:06:48 »

Unfortunately there appears to be no facility for gift aiding any contribution. An opportunity lost

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2020, 14:39:27 »

Yes, I noticed that... perhaps it will come.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2020, 17:04:22 »

What is the £5,000 pounds for? me peronally I would prefer to have bought the house and then rent it out.
Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2020, 10:18:22 »

If you mean you want to buy the house and land to rent it to them at a reasonable rate there's nothing to stop you! If you mean that's what they should do then I think that's the aim, with the trackbed eventually rejoining the overall route.

It's not brilliantly explained (possibly all set up in rather a hurry) but the £5,000 appears to be to allow small donations to be made by those who can't afford the larger £500 chunks suggested at http://www.exmoor-associates.co.uk/2020/06/bf-station-for-sale-again/. The home page of that site explains the necessarily quite complex relationship between the current operational railway and the group set up to buy parts of the whole line when they become available, a tricky operation where they presumably have to avoid being held over a barrel by vendors who know they want that specific cottage/patch of land rather than a similar one nearby that isn't on the former route of the line.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2020, 14:03:04 »

I fancy the idea of retiring to a cottage in the countryside - to an old station that's perhaps disused but has trains passing by occasionally, or is open and used by a smattering of passengers.  And, indeed, I declared myself "retired" in March and started to draw a pension in May.   But the head rules the heart, and there's no overnight lightbulb moment that has Lisa and I planning to up roots and move to Bratton Fleming, looking to retire to the fringe of Exmoor and do so with an arrangement with the Exmoor Steam Railway to encourage their trains to return past our door, stopping to drop off / pick up a few passengers, in coming years.

When my Dad retired - and that was now about 40 years ago - he and Mum moved from the London area (Petts Wood) where they had been for 30 years to Devizes.  Dad had commuted into London on a 'classic' daily basis, and I was brought up there on British Rail Southern Electric, community by train to primary school - 7 to 11 and 11 to 16, and into Uni in London thereafter, as well as to part time and work experience type jobs.  I had never imagined they would move on his retirement - they just were so much *in* Petts Wood and its community, and spoke of a dislike of retiring away from everything to the seaside at Worthing or Weston-super-mare.  So I was shocked at their move, and worried;  I need not have been, as they quickly became involved and pillars of certain elements of Devizes, Wiltshire and Wessex life and enjoyed a long and rewarding retirement.

But Melksham is not Petts Wood, and Bratton Fleming is not Devizes.  There is rather more linkage / similarity between Melksham and Devizes and Lisa and I are already knitted into the community here.

The idea of an old station does attract ... Altnabraec or Yetminster or any number (alphabetically) between. A tragedy that so many station buildings from Melksham to Morfa Mawddach were demolished.   And I do recall looking wistfully in through the filthy windows of the approaching-derelict station buildings at Georgemas Junction a couple of years ago.  But it won't happen, and it double-plus wouldn't be Bratton Fleming if it did!

* Heritage Railways that are rebuilding lines start small for the most part, and they extend station by station sometimes with obscure stations as termini for years on end.   Woody Bay to Killington Lane at present. On to Parracombe perhaps, then to Blackmoor and next Bratton Fleming - but could / would our home become the terminus for hoards of tourists in the summer, with us and other residents battening down the hatches and festooning what little bits of privacy we had with "keep out" signs which the vast majority would understand, but a small minority would see as a challenge.   How long of that before the final thrust to Snapper, Pilton and Barnstaple, and only then the passing trains and occasional passenger that the heart dreamed.

* As we get older and less able to get about - what an isolated spot and what a naff public transport service. 3 buses a day to Barnstaple (Town, not current station) - 07:39, 15:17 and 18:23, getting back at 08:24, 11:42, 17:22 and 19:12 (other end of route is Lynton)

* What is there to do in winter ... what community ... wonder what the internet is like.  Having lived at the back end of beyond from 1982 to 1999 as an "incomer", not an experience I would want to share again, though that could be very unfair to the F-lemmings or whatever they call themselves.

Still a nice dream ... and perhaps a holiday beside a quiet station some time.  St Germans or Hayle perhaps.

Edit - grammar correction
« Last Edit: June 05, 2020, 14:59:59 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2020, 15:08:34 »

Would love to buy the house and you would all be wellcome at any reasonable time of day,but not at the same time.

I can dream,can't I?
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 19:44:58 »

I fancy the idea of retiring to a cottage in the countryside - to an old station that's perhaps disused but has trains passing by occasionally, or is open and used by a smattering of passengers.

As your personal Brittany rail properties agent, i can draw your attention to the following 3 opportunities...

- You have just missed out on the station building at Pont-de-Buis which is open and sees a handful of trains call on the Brest-Quimper line. It was sold for just over €24000 to the local council and is apparently slated to become their new town hall. Mind you, bung them slightly more than that and who knows...

- A rail enthusiast property developer is currently redeveloping the historic station building at Pontivy, which still sees fairly regular freight trains, and you could view these at your leisure from one of the 4 duplex apartments being built on the upper levels. He is doing this in conjunction with the local authorities, who are building one of your favourite things in the whole wide world - a bus/rail interchange! This will include a new waiting hall, ticket office and retail space on the ground floor, the idea being to integrate regional bus, local bus, cycle routes etc with the revived tourist passenger trains that were due to start this summer but, thanks to Covid-19, are more likely now in 2021 as a first step to full passenger rail reopening - thus creating grahame heaven in the process.

- Or you could go for tonights star prize, which is the former station at Plemet. This definately has the grahame factor, with many of the original features - including the former station latrines - still intact, whilst looking rather nice inside too. Only drawback is the rails have been replaced by a greenway on the former trackbed, but think of all those lovely walkies...

The choice is yours  Grin

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 23:58:34 »

As your personal Brittany rail properties agent, i can draw your attention to the following 3 opportunities...

[snip]

The choice is yours  Grin

Tempted, but sticking with UK (United Kingdom) where I know about the jurisdiction.  Not too worried about getting a bus stop at the station ... but worried about actually getting any buses to call there.

Some of my pix from Facebook ... and with confirmation from one of those core rail folks who is an advocate of better public transport even outside the working week.  Bit of a long way, though

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2020, 13:06:55 »

I am very conscious that as a dweller of a building made of the most fragile grade of horticultural glass I am in absolutely no position to start casting nasturtiums, but... my point in posting this was to draw attention to the opportunity for members to help the L&B buy a particularly useful bit of trackbed!

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2020, 13:29:24 »

I am very conscious that as a dweller of a building made of the most fragile grade of horticultural glass I am in absolutely no position to start casting nasturtiums, but...

Sounds like you could do with a change of abode. As your personal Brittany rail properties agent, i can draw your attention to the following 3 opportunities...

I'm kidding, I'm kidding!

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2020, 04:35:02 »

I am very conscious that as a dweller of a building made of the most fragile grade of horticultural glass I am in absolutely no position to start casting nasturtiums, but... my point in posting this was to draw attention to the opportunity for members to help the L&B buy a particularly useful bit of trackbed!

In case it got lost in the Flow country excursion via Brittany:

Bratton Fleming Station, on the route of the Lynton and Barnstaple railway, was put on the market in March 2020. Exmoor Associates, who seek to buy land on the trackbed of the L&B to enable it to extend, were unable to come up with the purchase price in time and a sale was agreed to a third party.

That sale has now fallen through, and the property is back on the market. Exmoor Associates have launched a JustGiving page to allow people to make donations. I have chucked a few quid in their direction using this method, and wish them the very best!

If you'd like to support them, the details are here: http://www.exmoor-associates.co.uk/2020/06/justgiving-now-for-bf-station/

If you are a bit more flush than me, you could also consider their share offer, whereby supporters can purchase £500 shares in the property. Details of that offer are here: http://www.exmoor-associates.co.uk/2020/06/bf-station-for-sale-again/

Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2020, 21:58:27 »

I fancy the idea of retiring to a cottage in the countryside - to an old station that's perhaps disused...

I did bid at the auction when Great Somerford station house was on the market in 1980 (then owned by Wessex Water), but unfortunately somebody else had £1000 more in their pocket than I did. The hammer fell at £20,600 which, in 1980, was a goodly sum for what was actually on offer

Not that there would have been any trains passing by mind, as the junction for the Malmesbury branch was changed from Dauntsey to Little Somerford c.1933
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2020, 14:31:12 »

Mine's made of mud and straw, with a bit of wood. The TV aerial, which is modern and long-lasting, didn't make it through a storm.

It was built in the mid-17th century in anticipation of a railway passing by. Only later did they learn that they don't go up steep hills easily.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 16:38:15 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: