Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:55 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
15:52 Basingstoke to Reading
Delayed
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 15:58:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Facemasks. Change to attitudes (passengers and staff) on public transport?  (Read 10475 times)
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2020, 18:29:36 »

It is less confusing to us the travelling public to have a sleight and simple rule of if you travel on public transport you wear a face covering.  It would be very messy and open to interpretation to say if you are x distance from another passenger and if the windows are open

I agree in principle but my major query for both face naskes and 14-day quarantine for arriving international passengers is "why now?" If it is now safer to sit on a bus with a face mask why wasn't safer when 800 people a day were dying of the disease?

I have not for an issue with with wearing a mask as such but, if the real reason is to build public confidence in public transport back up (which would in my mind be a nore logical reason) then why can't we be told? Is Dominoc Cummings afraid that people will take as much notice of the rules as he does if they're told the truth?

Agreed I think it's just too late and now unnecessary.  On the bus today, wearing a mask,  I was 20ft away from the only other person on board, the driver.  For the other few dozen times over the past 12 weeks,  no mask, just don't see the point. As an aside, I was on the bus to collect my new car, so until the pubs open - no more buses!

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2020, 22:50:42 »

I think I'd put it the other way round. Not "why now?" but "why so late?"

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 16, 2020, 07:01:06 »

I think I'd put it the other way round. Not "why now?" but "why so late?"

Although it could be argued the Government were trying to preserve the supplies of disposable masks for the NHS and Care Homes.

Or.

Because the level of infection increased very quickly the science lead to lockdown as the only way to control the infection.

I'm sure any future enquiry and historians will draw conclusions

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2020, 08:11:37 »

Also, in the vast majority of bus, tram and train journeys since late March, social distancing has been easy - on the trains, often its been a case of having a carriage to yourself.

Now the passenger numbers are rising, albeit slowly, that starts to become more difficult.  I would suggest mandatory face coverings makes it easier to justify reducing the 2m rule to 1m.

Most of the decisions taken can be argued either way.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 16, 2020, 18:28:05 »

Out and about today, I’d estimate around 20% of passengers and 5% of staff are wearing masks. I can’t see a massive shift by Monday somehow.

The change in the law has made quite a difference.

On my travels today, I reckon 80-90% of passengers were complying with the law and wearing a mask/face covering, and the number of staff complying with GWR (Great Western Railway) policy (as set out earlier in the thread) was pretty much 100%.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 16, 2020, 19:35:52 »

The change in the law has made quite a difference.

On my travels today, I reckon 80-90% of passengers were complying with the law and wearing a mask/face covering, and the number of staff complying with GWR (Great Western Railway) policy (as set out earlier in the thread) was pretty much 100%.

I've just had a very unexpected stay in hospital where face masks are supposed to be compulsory but its not legally enforceable. While many of the doctors were sceptical (if we were having masks then should have been back in March) the general thought was why public transport had a legal change but hospitals didn't as there were far more vulnerable people in the latter.

Probably about 60% take up by the public but near 100% by staff.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2020, 01:59:47 »

A pedant would note, why is a facemask not required for an employee behind a glass or Perspex screen, but by inference IS required behind a screen made from some other brand of transparent acrylic ?
Is Perspex so much safer than alternative brands of very similar products.
And what about polycarbonate ? which IS safer if attack by yobs is feared, but is the same as other cheaper materials for infection control.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 18, 2020, 06:56:46 »

More pedantry. I thought Perspex was a trade name of ICI, which has not existed for many years. Or should it be lower case as ijn hoover the vacuum cleaner, as opposed to upper case for the company?
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 18, 2020, 09:16:05 »

Perspex International attempt to cling on to the trademark by always using Perspex® in their own literature, but it is a battle lost in the court of public usage I think, in the same way that Petrol® was by the 1930s. Although there are other generic terms such as plexiglass.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 18, 2020, 10:19:05 »

Perspex International attempt to cling on to the trademark by always using Perspex® in their own literature, but it is a battle lost in the court of public usage I think, in the same way that Petrol® was by the 1930s. Although there are other generic terms such as plexiglass.

I'd noticed "plexiglass" being used a bit more here recently, rather than the usual "perspex", and assumed it was down to ignorance (of the established British name now become generic in usage). However, it might be due to being more careful about trademarks these days. I'd always thought Plexiglass was also registered, in the USA, but despite it being used (as Plexiglass®) by several US suppliers of the stuff, that ought to be Plexiglas®. Exactly who invented, made, and sold what and registered its name first (in Germany, Britain, or the USA) appears to be disputed.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2020, 22:52:03 »

I'd noticed "plexiglass" being used a bit more here recently, rather than the usual "perspex", and assumed it was down to ignorance (of the established British name now become generic in usage). However, it might be due to being more careful about trademarks these days. I'd always thought Plexiglass was also registered, in the USA, but despite it being used (as Plexiglass®) by several US suppliers of the stuff, that ought to be Plexiglas®. Exactly who invented, made, and sold what and registered its name first (in Germany, Britain, or the USA) appears to be disputed.

Chemically it is Poly(methyl methacrylate)  or PMMA.  Perspex and Plexiglas are just two of several trade names. 
Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2020, 08:39:07 »

Genuine question, and not one intended to stir up any racial controversy or whatever. A few years ago when the term "face coverings" was generally used to convey the hijab, burka or niqab, there were "burka bans" in place in certain situations. I'm not sure whether it was enforced here (in banks, for example?) but I do distinctly remember reading that in Holland there was a specific law passed banning face coverings on public transport.

Now that wearing a face covering is being openingly encouraged, is any distinction being made over what form that face covering should be? If I were to walk onto a train wearing a black balaclava and carrying a bag marked "swag," for example, would the staff merely smile and nod and say well done for following the rules?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 10:13:43 by Phil » Logged
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2020, 10:04:07 »

NL and FR had, presumably have, such laws, and maybe a couple of other countries, but not UK (United Kingdom). But certainly it raises social/legal/cultural questions about types of face coverings, attitudes to them and reasons for these attitudes. Being encouraged to cover our faces with a bandanna especially!

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2020, 10:10:18 »

Anyway, I'm going to hoover my perspex before xeroxing some documents to put in my filofax. Then I'm going to google that story about smuggling heroin in a petrol tank, and as it's a hot day I'll drink a glass of coke.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #59 on: June 19, 2020, 11:09:16 »

Now that wearing a face covering is being openingly encouraged, is any distinction being made over what form that face covering should be? If I were to walk onto a train wearing a black balaclava and carrying a bag marked "swag," for example, would the staff merely smile and nod and say well done for following the rules?

It's only when talking with people with their mouths covered that I realise just how much I rely on lipreading these days, and I know I get visual indicators from people's facial expressions too.   Gets harder the less indicators there are, and that must apply to staff too.

If you really are carrying a bag marked "Swag" is an excellent pointer towards a sense of humour in spite of the current big issues and I suspect they would smile at you (even if you could not see the smile) and say 'well done'.   Without a bag marked "swag" it might be a different scenario.

I'm noting that in 10 days this thread had run up to about 60 posts ... hot topic!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: