Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:22:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[193] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[109] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[75] Return of the BRUTE?
[59] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[26] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: The end of coal  (Read 35258 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: July 09, 2021, 17:45:54 »

Oh, and not to mention furious potential Pullman customers who board the train and find themselves 18 carriages away from the restaurant.

No problem, we could provide a trolley for them instead.

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 09, 2021, 18:13:22 »

Absolutely agree re motor racing by the way, an obscenely expensive waste of resources and damage to the  environment - put them in pedal cars and give them 75 laps of the Magic Roundabout in Swindon instead, it'd be fantastic entertainment!!!  Smiley
That would be a brilliant thing to watch!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 09, 2021, 22:24:31 »

There are alternatives to flying or driving for leisure.
Either holiday in those parts of the UK (United Kingdom) and the nearer parts of Europe that can be reached by surface public transport, or stay at home.

With respect, I sometimes question whether you live in the real world.

I don't always.  Grin
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 22:38:58 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2021, 05:43:59 »

I have split the following post into a new thread - far too important a topic to hide within another topic.  See http://www.passenger.chat/25216

Having wandered off the subject of coal, the general gist of this thread seems to be that the railway, in its current form, is woefully inadequate to be more than a marginal substitute for road traffic and other transport modes that are making various parts of the world rather uncomfortable.

I get a similar message from others setting rail policy or running the railway.

Is it time to retire?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2021, 09:34:27 »

Absolutely agree re motor racing by the way, an obscenely expensive waste of resources and damage to the  environment - put them in pedal cars and give them 75 laps of the Magic Roundabout in Swindon instead, it'd be fantastic entertainment!!!  Smiley
That would be a brilliant thing to watch!

A great deal more entertaining than F1 too!
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2021, 11:49:47 »

I read in yesterday's (behind paywall) newspaper that the noted environmentally alert companies Shell and BP» (Beyond Petroleum (Former name - British Petroleum) - home page) are amongst others queuing for a government handout, to fund further research into making carbon capture and storage into something more useful than the current PowerPoint presentation. The plan seems to be to burn lots more coal, oil and gas, remove the resultant carbon dioxide from the exhaust using witchcraft*, and pump it into holes under the North Sea, helping to force more oil out in the process. Whether, following an earthquake, the North Sea will be renamed the Fizzy Sea is not discussed. There is definitely free money for oil companies, though. I reckon coal could yet continue nice and safely if the heritage rail operators can get in on the act, maybe via sponsorship?

(*Or some form of osmosis or adsorption etc, which are pretty much the same thing as witchcraft. I'm no expert.)

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2021, 14:02:31 »

I read in yesterday's (behind paywall) newspaper that the noted environmentally alert companies Shell and BP» (Beyond Petroleum (Former name - British Petroleum) - home page) are amongst others queuing for a government handout, to fund further research into making carbon capture and storage into something more useful than the current PowerPoint presentation. The plan seems to be to burn lots more coal, oil and gas, remove the resultant carbon dioxide from the exhaust using witchcraft*, and pump it into holes under the North Sea, helping to force more oil out in the process. Whether, following an earthquake, the North Sea will be renamed the Fizzy Sea is not discussed. There is definitely free money for oil companies, though. I reckon coal could yet continue nice and safely if the heritage rail operators can get in on the act, maybe via sponsorship?

(*Or some form of osmosis or adsorption etc, which are pretty much the same thing as witchcraft. I'm no expert.)

I read that too - but got some different facts out of it. Firstly, it's not using an oilfield, current or retired. They are further north, and while there are old gas fields, they are not trusted for long-term reuse due to having many old wells of dubious seal reliability. The Endurance formation is a saline aquifer - so what gets displaced is sea water. The CO2 also dissolves, but as all this happens inside solid, but porous, rocks it's hard to get your head around (unless you have a geologist's head).

The "CCUS cluster sequencing process" isn't R&D (Innovate UK (United Kingdom) has already been funding that), it's for full scale deployment by 2025-ish. The companies claim "full scale" means half the country's industrial CO2 output, and building a pipeline network for collection. The original CO2 source that called for such a big sink was the planned blue hydrogen project on Teesside, but most of the rest already exist. "New power stations" are also mentioned, but may ones planned to be built anyway.

This sort of thing is all temporary and transitional towards true sustainability, of course, though on a timescale of many decades. Here's an industry page (from Upstream) with more details, dating from when the consortium was formed.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 13, 2021, 22:21:52 »

I couldn't resist putting this link here rather than on a perhaps more relevant thread but feel free to move it if it seems more appropriate.

It may be the "End of Coal" power as we once knew it but it might be the beginning of coal mines as a source of low carbon energy.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210706-how-flooded-coal-mines-could-heat-homes
« Last Edit: July 13, 2021, 23:59:36 by johnneyw » Logged
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2021, 09:59:19 »

I know someone who I think works there.

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2021, 12:18:38 »

What a good idea!

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 15, 2021, 13:54:14 »

I couldn't resist putting this link here rather than on a perhaps more relevant thread but feel free to move it if it seems more appropriate.

It may be the "End of Coal" power as we once knew it but it might be the beginning of coal mines as a source of low carbon energy.

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20210706-how-flooded-coal-mines-could-heat-homes

The water from flooded coal mines is not warm enough to directly heat homes or other buildings. A heat pump is required at significant capital cost and ongoing electricity consumption. Arguably better than burning oil or gas, but not as cheap or as green as is often implied.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 15, 2021, 14:19:15 »

Here's a thought why not use the sites for geothermal,after all there's a fair amount of water already present ,and a good deal of the drilling has been done for you,I'm thinking something along the lines of what's happening at the Eden Project in Cornwall.
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #117 on: July 15, 2021, 14:45:45 »

Here's a thought why not use the sites for geothermal,after all there's a fair amount of water already present ,and a good deal of the drilling has been done for you,I'm thinking something along the lines of what's happening at the Eden Project in Cornwall.
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/jul/01/full-steam-ahead-for-cornwalls-geothermal-energy-project
Full steam ahead for Cornwall’s geothermal energy project
Team behind project at United Downs site near Redruth say power plant will be producing electricity and heat by next year......
(Continues)

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 15, 2021, 18:45:40 »

The water from flooded coal mines is not warm enough to directly heat homes or other buildings. A heat pump is required at significant capital cost and ongoing electricity consumption. Arguably better than burning oil or gas, but not as cheap or as green as is often implied.
But once the heat pump is in you get far more heating (or cooling, depending which way it's running at the time) than the amount of power put into the pump. If you can run that pump off PV or wind or whatever's green at the time, you get more heat for your kilowatt than using that electricity directly for heating.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 16, 2021, 00:39:29 »

Agree, heat pumps can produce several times the heat that would result from direct electric resistance heating.
My point was that electricity is still required, some reports state or imply that water from old mines can provide free heating.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: