Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 07/07/2020 - Tuesday Club - ONLINE
08/07/2020 - Melksham RUG - ONLINE
15/07/2020 - Harness social media - ONLINE
22/07/2020 - Melksham Rail User Group CANX
Random Image
Train Running Polls Acronyms/Abbreviations Station Comparator Rail news GWR co. site Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
July 05, 2020, 09:22:49 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most liked recent subjects
[157] Thank you, Infoman, for your daily diary of rail related broad...
[47] Freight in our area
[46] More dangerous overcrowding to the Westcountry
[46] West of England Line CMSP study
[38] It would be so much easier to run public transport without the...
[15] New arrivals at Swindon
News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Misuse of level crossings - highlighting but not limited to Marlow branch  (Read 1225 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2020, 03:46:13 pm »

From the Swindon Advertiser

The number of near-misses and trespassing incidents on railway tracks has risen sharply, according to the Office of Rail and Road.

The rail regulator is urging people to stop taking unnecessary risks around the train lines.

Figures from Network Rail show trespassers disrupted vital passenger and freight services across Britain 1,024 times between March 23 and 26 April 26 -an average of 34 incidents a day This is a 25 per cent increase from 818 incidents in the same period last year. The ORR has followed up a number of reported incidents, and believes that in most cases, an error of judgement was the main factor.

etc

With a STUPID picture taken from the middle of a track illustrating the very place people should NOT linger!

Leading to a promotion of http://youvstrain.co.uk

Coffee Shop Admin, Vice Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, and on the board of TravelWatch SouthWest.
bignosemac
Data Manager

Birthday Avatar: 47 143.

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2020, 11:00:22 pm »

I was going to point out the stupid use of the picture in the 'comments' section of the article. Someone with a familiar name beat me to it...  Wink

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2020, 11:51:36 pm »

I was going to point out the stupid use of the picture in the 'comments' section of the article. Someone with a familiar name beat me to it...  Wink

That can’t be our Graham.  He spelt advice correctly!  Wink

To view my GWML Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
bignosemac
Data Manager

Birthday Avatar: 47 143.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2020, 06:09:56 pm »

Our Graham?

Wasn't he the announcer on ITV's Blind Date?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2020, 04:38:36 am »

BETWEEN BOURNE END AND MARLOW - FROM 16:00 HOURS THURSDAY 9 JULY 2020
From the above time and date, Mill Lane footpath crossing at 2m 29ch will be converted to an Overlay Miniature Stop Light crossing (OMSL) with audible emitter system.

BETWEEN BOURNE END AND MARLOW - FROM 16:00 HOURS THURSDAY 9 JULY 2020
From the above time and date, Upper Thames Sailing Club User Worked Crossing at 0m 37ch will be converted to an Overlay Miniature Stop Light crossing (OMSL) with audible emitter system.
At the same time, works will be carried out to the crossing gates and the crossing surface.

And an OMSL is ...

Overlay Miniature Stop Light (OMSL) level crossing

Certain level crossings are provided with overlay miniature stop light equipment. Like conventional Miniature Stop Light (MSL) crossings, these provide indications to the users of the crossings on whether it is safe to cross (green) or not safe to cross (red). The system is designed to overlay existing infrastructure without interacting with it (Note: I-OMSL type crossing will interact), however permissible speeds in the wrong direction on the approach should be identified on multiple track lines by wrong direction speed boards. The system is usually activated by wheel sensors that operate in a similar way to axle counters – when they detect a train they set the lights to red, when the train hits the strike out sensor the lights go to green.

Where a system failure is detected or operational scenario (e.g. train failure, engineering works) may incur the red indication for excessive periods, user indications are suppressed and the lights go into ‘dark mode’. On encountering this mode the user is directed on safe operation by the signage provided, however they can be reactivated by another train passing or through a manual reset.

All staff should note that, like axle counters, using metal tools or simply passing within a metre wearing safety boots can cause activation of these sensors, and should be avoided.

I think these are similar to the setup on the Westbury avoider, though that is silent, I think?   How many other crossings already equipped?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2020, 04:45:41 am by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Vice Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, and on the board of TravelWatch SouthWest.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2020, 07:07:59 am »

I think Farnborough North is one of these, or similar.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Farnborough_North_railway_station#/media/File:Farnborough_north_crossing.jpg
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2020, 12:51:09 pm »

I think the Farnborough North one had the audio added later (audio sounds a bit like a full barrier level crossing, but continuous when a red light is showing). Might have been around the same time the monitoring hut/shed was added.

I think there are magnetic holds on the gates controlled from the hut as well?

Presumably this crossing is in one of the higher risk categories.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2020, 01:20:26 pm »

Purton, just north of Swindon, and Haresfield, south of Gloucester, have a similar set up. Both are silent.

Tuesday had come down through Dundrum and Foster Avenue, brine-fresh from sea-travel, a corn-yellow sun-drench that called forth the bees at an incustomary hour to their bumbling.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: