Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:58:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Call for discounts for railcard users  (Read 11738 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 15, 2020, 20:29:35 »

From Express and Star

Railcard users deserve to get lockdown refund on the journeys they have been unable to take, a public transport champion has demanded.

Councillor Richard Worrall said a number of residents, including the elderly, young people and disabled, were not allowed to use the travelcards for weeks – despite having forked out for an annual pass.

At a meeting of the Transport Delivery Committee, he called on Transport for West Midlands (TfWM) to lobby National Railcard into at least extending the validity of passes for the time lost during lock down.

TfWM confirmed it had written to the Department of Transport asking what action can be taken to compensate customers and were awaiting a response.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Clan Line

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2020, 20:34:03 »

My daughter has just had her Longleat annual ticket extended by 5 months.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2020, 12:40:24 »

Twitter ... with Campaign for Better Transport, Transport Focus and the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) on the case.

Can we call up the big shot ... get Marcus Rashford onto the case?

https://twitter.com/CBTransport/status/1273206784015114240

Campaign for Better Transport
@CBTransport
·
37m
We agree with
@TransportFocus
 on this. There’s no valid reason why railcard expiry dates can’t be extended. If the rail industry won’t consider this then
@transportgovuk
 should require it.
Quote Tweet

Transport Focus
@TransportFocus
 · 1h
🌅 This morning we've been chatting to @Mattallwright and @msm4rsh about @_Railcards holders who've seen their chances of claiming those great savings evaporate.

👉 We want @RailDeliveryGrp to do the right thing and extend railcard expiry dates or offer a renewal discount.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2020, 16:39:55 »

One for Meet the Manager I'd say!
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 14:29:11 »

Something from The i newspaper on railcards https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/railcard-refunds-extensions-operators-options-uk-train-travel-plummets-coronavirus-lockdown-448512
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 15:15:59 »

One for Meet the Manager I'd say!

Yep  Grin Grin

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=23666.msg290251#msg290251
In summary "Not sometime we can do"

These cards are so much of an encouragement to people to use the train and once that encouragement is needed again, a generous additional period would be a huge marketing boost.    Something as simple as "all railcards expiring after 1st March 2020 are valid until 6 months after the date shown on them" perhaps?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2020, 09:33:38 »

Here's another way to encourage traffic back

From the Independent

The Belgian government is to hand out free railway tickets in a bid to boost the country's economy as it emerges from its coronavirus lockdown.

All residents in the EU» (European Union - about) member state will get a pass entitling them to ten free journeys of any length on the country's railways.

The free ticket, agreed by government ministers at the weekend, is part of a raft of measures like higher welfare payments and a VAT (Value Added Tax) cut, meant to stimulate economic activity.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2020, 14:49:25 »

It would seem they've still not worked out whether or not to offer anything.  From this morning ..

My Senior Railcard expires on 15th July.  I have not been able to use it due to government restrictions for 100 days.  Will it automatically extend?

Hi,

Railcards cannot be extended and are non-refundable. We, however understand these are exceptional times. We are currently working with the train companies and the Department for Transport on a number of ways to assist Railcard holders.

Could you please share with me the Railcard type & number along with the registered name, email address & postcode. I'll ask the team leave a note on your account so we can contact you with an update as soon as we receive further information.

Thanks,

Good way to build up a database of active users ... or perhaps a good way to divert the writer away from the fact this has been on their plate for a while and they've not really moved forward - at least in what they're telling the people who have paid them money ...

CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 06:49:21 »

They have all your details from when you renew!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 08:36:41 »

Exactly - "let's look as if we're taking an interest in our customer by asking him to provide lots of data about his case ..."

Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2020, 10:59:20 »

Exactly - "let's look as if we're taking an interest in our customer by asking him to provide lots of data about his case ..."

I took a rather jaundiced view of the original quote, as I always do when I see the word "working" immediately preceding words like "with" or "towards."

It can usually be translated as: "we're doing sod all or next to nothing but this phrase both sounds good and stops you whingeing about it"

It could be worse - they could have said they're "having a review." That confirms thay they've done sod all and are kicking it into the long grass
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2020, 19:53:00 »

Well ... I renewed soon after the posts above.  "Allow 5 working days for delivery" and it took a couple longer. 

Terms and conditions on new card clearly state "Train Companies will not issue refunds on unused/unwanted railcards or extend their validity period".   Nothing at all about the train companies actually providing a service that (not being a key worker) I can actually use. In fact it's all about conditions on the senior and very little on the rail industry!

Also interesting to note "these railcard conditions are valid up to and including 05 September 2020" which presumably means that they can change the terms and conditions thereafter.   Should the Ts and Cs be through the lifetime of the product - i.e. apply until the card expires because it was purchased prior to 5th September?   Is in usual for a company such as ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) Ltd to sell a product / service on which it can change the conditions later?

Please excuse "pedant mode".  Ts and Cs seem biased to wards ATOC though the product is a good one.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2020, 17:17:13 »

We have had a £25 refund (I think it was) on car insurance
We have a 25% reduction in next year's National Trust subscription
We have an extra 25% added to money being held over from a cancelled cruise
We have saved ourselves £25 many times over by not eating out
We have not had anything offered for our railcards even though we have not been able to use trains

We note, appreciate, and will speak kindly of those organisations who have been considerate of their customers and have gone beyond their terms and conditions in these exceptional circumstances.

Ralph Ayres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 14:08:51 »

Insurers, cruise operators and the National Trust don't have the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) sitting on their shoulder directing their every move. Ultimately Railcards are a marketing tool so I wouldn't be surprised to see some incentives being offered once we reach the stage where travel is actively being encouraged. Despite some cautious moves that's not yet the case. It would certainly make sense not to throw away an expired Railcard quite yet.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2020, 17:54:55 »

Had an email from Railcards today stating that the government has decided that no extensions or refunds will be given as the cost would be too great

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: