Train RunningCancelled
15:17 Reading to Gatwick Airport
16:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 16:35:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[181] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[96] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[91] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[81] Death of another bus station?
[56] tram/rail meet up
[48] You see all sorts on the bus.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: rail progs for Sunday 21 June, I had the day off.  (Read 838 times)
infoman

View Profile
« on: June 21, 2020, 16:57:05 »

I decided to head out early on Sunday 21 June,apologise for no rail programme info on this date.
Its surprising how long it takes me to put the rail programme info together each day,nearly two hours.
Scrolling through the freeview guide,takes approx an hour,
and then the typing and getting the series and episode guide correct with the help of the Sky and freeview guides takes another hour.
So I will continue up to and include the Sunday 5th July 2020,as by this time I think we will be able to get out and about more than we have been able too recently.

One very small point about the amount of views each posting I have made.

Most postings I have made have reach nearly 100,I think thats a fair number.
What I have noticed is that on every occasion that the same person comes back to look at the same posting it counts as a "view"

The reason I raise the above point is that going back a little while ago e-bay changed their viewing system.
If the same person came back to look at the item they were selling,they would keep clicking the same posting and it pushed up the those "viewing" the item.
Grahame not sure if the forum could have a similar system installed.

Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2020, 17:33:02 »

I decided to head out early on Sunday 21 June,apologise for no rail programme info on this date.
Its surprising how long it takes me to put the rail programme info together each day,nearly two hours.
and then the typing and getting the series and episode guide correct with the help of the Sky and freeview guides takes another hour.
So I will continue up to and include the Sunday 5th July 2020,as by this time I think we will be able to get out and about more than we have been able too recently.

Gosh, thank you very much for all the work you have put into this. I've certainly watched a few very interesting programs that I would otherwise have missed, so it's been much appreciated. I can understand why you want to draw a line under this before too long!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2020, 17:48:12 »

One very small point about the amount of views each posting I have made.

Most postings I have made have reach nearly 100,I think thats a fair number.
What I have noticed is that on every occasion that the same person comes back to look at the same posting it counts as a "view"

The reason I raise the above point is that going back a little while ago e-bay changed their viewing system.
If the same person came back to look at the item they were selling,they would keep clicking the same posting and it pushed up the those "viewing" the item.
Grahame not sure if the forum could have a similar system installed.

Infoman, I (for one) and many more appreciate the time it takes to do things like this and the time you have put  in - another 2 weeks, to the time we expect much to re-open - looks to be an utterly sensible cut off.   I am looking forward to being able to see if I can find a train with social distance (be that 2 metres, pi/2 metres or 1 metre) fairly soon, and I suspect others will be moving out of this current phase too.  

It's great, been especially so, but I think I and others have probably seen most of the repeats by now.   Hopefully they'll have made some more by the time Covid-37 comes around - Michael Portillo visits St Andrews Road and Shirehampton, and Jeremy Corbyn finds a seat because people haven't flocked back to the trains, perhaps.  

Forum stats ... and "number of reads".   The number ticks up at each view, so I believe it can be pumped up by one visitor, and 100 views might be less people.   HOWEVER - and especially the case with threads of immediate information such as these, a "view" is NOT recorded when they come up easy on in someone's "recent" feed and across the forum as a whole that's used over 1000 times on a typical day.  Once a thread is followed up and people start accessing it to read the whole thread, the number can increase very quickly.

That's a long answer on forum stats, I'm afraid.   Looking back at yesterday's 81 so far - purely a guess - I would thing 50 to 60 different IPs, and another 40 or so via "recents".   Of the latter, perhaps a half would scroll past rapidly and half the remainder would stop briefly, the final quarter doing a thorough read.  Of the specific clicks on the thread, perhaps half doing an intense look (going there to read) with the others being crawlers.

Of course, if someone reads the thread and then watches a program with their SO, that's someone else reached.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2020, 11:19:12 »

I'd like to add my thanks too.

While one of my Tuesday routines is to go through the new Radio Times each week to seek out programmes I want to record, there have been several on your daily list which I would otherwise have missed.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: