Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:45:43 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Incident at Chalfont and Latimer - 21 June 2020  (Read 10621 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« on: June 22, 2020, 19:59:02 »

Apparently there was a serious operating incident at Chalfont and Latimer station last night (21 June 2020).  Details a bit scant at the moment but apparently a Chilterns Turbo was close to head on collision with an Northbound MET Train stood in the platform.  The Turbo stopped not more than a carriage length from the MET Train.  Trying to search out some more details.

Edit to add. Found a photograph here: https://twitter.com/BBCTomEdwards/status/1275110168104239110
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 10:10:14 »

There is currently (10h00 23-06) no service between Chalfont and Latimer and Chesham due to reported track damage at Chalfont and Latimer. Looking at the layout, I suspect the Met was routed to Chesham as the incident unfolded. The rest I can imagine, and it could have been a whole lot worse. I believe Turbos are trip-cock fitted on this line.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 10:56:40 »

There is currently (10h00 23-06) no service between Chalfont and Latimer and Chesham due to reported track damage at Chalfont and Latimer. Looking at the layout, I suspect the Met was routed to Chesham as the incident unfolded. The rest I can imagine, and it could have been a whole lot worse. I believe Turbos are trip-cock fitted on this line.

These picture I took a couple of years ago shows the layout looking south (with a bit of heat haze!).  It is quite possible the northbound train was waiting to cross over onto the Chesham branch (as the tube train in the picture has just done). 

As you can see, there is a signal just before the junction protecting moves from the branch (left hand track) onto the main line.  The Chiltern service would not have been on that line.  The signal protecting the junction from the line the Chiltern service would have been located on (centre track) is by the bridge the photo was taken from, which is over half a mile away from the station.

Presumably GSM-R (Global System for Mobile communications - Railway.) isn't an option there as it's within the area controlled by TfL» (Transport for London - about) signalling, so I wonder why a tripcock didn't automatically apply the brakes before it got as far as it did?  It would (if being driven normally) be going quite slowly at the set of points as it would have been slowing for the station stop.

It's obviously an unusual set of working rules at Chalfont (national rail trains running under TfL signalling), so it will be very interesting to see what happened and the recommendations.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 12:47:05 »

The Metropolitan Line between Harrow-on-the-Hill and Amersham is signalled to normal main line practice, using three or four-aspect signals.  As its TfL» (Transport for London - about) infrastructure there is no TPWS (Train Protection and Warning System) fitment, and as standard LU trainstops are fitted to the signals, the Chiltern trains are fitted with tripcock apparatus instead.  The Chesham branch (to the left in the photographs taken by II) is signalled with two-aspect signals to LU standards as the line is not used by 'Mainline' services.

I think I have a good idea what might have happened in this instance, but won't speculate on here.  The RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) report will make interesting reading though (well, for me at least).
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2020, 12:59:29 »

The RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) report will make interesting reading though (well, for me at least).

For me too. I am interested to know how many holes there were in this particular cheese. Never a single cause.

Edited to ask S+T-E: In addition to trainstops, are there AWS (Automatic Warning System) ramps on this part of the route?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2020, 14:05:31 by Oxonhutch » Logged
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2020, 15:56:49 »

The RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) report will make interesting reading though (well, for me at least).

For me too. I am interested to know how many holes there were in this particular cheese. Never a single cause.

Edited to ask S+T-E: In addition to trainstops, are there AWS (Automatic Warning System) ramps on this part of the route?

No.  Not on the TfL» (Transport for London - about)/LU owned part of the route.  There is AWS between Marylebone and HotH (exclusive) and north of Amersham (exclusive).
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2020, 16:08:51 »

No.  Not on the TfL» (Transport for London - about)/LU owned part of the route.  There is AWS (Automatic Warning System) between Marylebone and HotH (exclusive) and north of Amersham (exclusive).

Thank-you. The challenges of inter-running heavy and metro rail. I foresee some material changes ahead between Mantles Wood and Harrow-on-the-Hill.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 10:18:33 »

No.  Not on the TfL» (Transport for London - about)/LU owned part of the route.  There is AWS (Automatic Warning System) between Marylebone and HotH (exclusive) and north of Amersham (exclusive).

Thank-you. The challenges of inter-running heavy and metro rail. I foresee some material changes ahead between Mantles Wood and Harrow-on-the-Hill.

Mantles Wood. Now there's a place name I haven't heard mentioned for over 50 years now.  I helped errect some of the last new railway telegraph poles there at the begining of my railway career. Grin
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2020, 09:29:25 »

Just had a look, as far as I can see, nothing on the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) website yet.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2020, 08:01:00 »

Just had a look, as far as I can see, nothing on the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) website yet.

Although potentially this could have seen loss of life or serious injury, no one was harmed in this incident.  The rail authorities (TfL» (Transport for London - about), NR» (Network Rail - home page), ToC) will have advised the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about), RAIB, BTP (British Transport Police) the ORR is the organisations that has the statutory powers under the 1974 Health and Safety at Work Act to investigate the incident, BTP involvement is where a suspected criminal act has been involved, the RIAB operate separately to these.

The ORR, BTP and RIAB may have chosen to all TfL and NR to investigate this operational incident 

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2020, 09:40:20 »

Although potentially this could have seen loss of life or serious injury, no one was harmed in this incident.  The rail authorities (TfL» (Transport for London - about), NR» (Network Rail - home page), ToC) will have advised the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about), RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch), BTP (British Transport Police) the ORR is the organisations that has the statutory powers under the 1974 Health and Safety at Work Act to investigate the incident, BTP involvement is where a suspected criminal act has been involved, the RIAB operate separately to these.

The ORR, BTP and RIAB may have chosen to all TfL and NR to investigate this operational incident 

Should be treated as a precursor. Not swept under the carpet.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2020, 09:52:48 »

Although potentially this could have seen loss of life or serious injury, no one was harmed in this incident.  The rail authorities (TfL» (Transport for London - about), NR» (Network Rail - home page), ToC) will have advised the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about), RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch), BTP (British Transport Police) the ORR is the organisations that has the statutory powers under the 1974 Health and Safety at Work Act to investigate the incident, BTP involvement is where a suspected criminal act has been involved, the RIAB operate separately to these.

Should be treated as a precursor. Not swept under the carpet.

It will not be swept under the carpet, the ORR, RAIB and BTP will all have their investigations on the books.  Not every operational incident is published to the public by the ORR or RAIB.

I was part of an internal investigation team investigating a serious electrical fire that injured 2 staff disrupted train services for days, it was never publicised on the ORR or RAIB websites and that incident will incur a hefty financial penalty on NR

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2020, 10:38:47 »

The RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) has picked this up.  Their announcement states:

“At around 21:45 hrs on 21 June 2020, a Chiltern Railways passenger train travelling southbound on the Metropolitan line of the London Underground network, passed a signal at danger (red) without authority. The signal was protecting a junction through which a route was already set for a northbound train, waiting in Chalfont & Latimer station, to cross in front of the southbound train. Passing the signal at red resulted in an automatic brake application which stopped the southbound train around 310 metres beyond the signal. Shortly afterwards, the train driver reset the automatic brake equipment and the train continued towards Chalfont & Latimer station, around 620 metres away. As a result of the position of the points at the junction, its route towards the station took it onto the northbound line. The northbound London Underground train on this line was stationary because the signal in front of it had changed to red as a result of the southbound train passing the red signal. The two trains stopped about 23 metres apart.

“There were no reported injuries but some track components were damaged as the southbound train had proceeded through a route that was not set for it.

“Our investigation will identify the sequence of events ... [etc[

I don’t think any of us who had privately speculated on the cause of this incident expected the sequence of events to be as stated above..
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2020, 12:16:45 »

If it's a 'reset and continue' then that makes the job of recommendations to stop it happening again much more straightforward.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2020, 13:44:31 »

Straightforward?  As RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) say, they will need to look at:

1.   the actions of the people involved
2.   Chiltern Railways’ arrangements regarding the training, competence and fitness of its train drivers
3.   Chiltern Railways’ management of risk associated with its drivers operating on the London Underground network
4.   how risk associated with signals passed at danger by non-London Underground trains is managed on the London Underground network
5.   any relevant underlying factors

As is often the case with incidents which RAIB investigates, the direct cause may be straightforward, but the underlying causes and contributory factors may not.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: