I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:45:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Pershore Station Developments  (Read 23925 times)
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2020, 12:32:08 »

the evidence is that the more wealthy don't spend that much more when they get a tax cut, they simply save more, which does not benefit the economy.

I'm not disagreeing with the entire reasoning of your post, but I do wonder if this is right.  A significant problem of the UK (United Kingdom) economy has been the lack of savings and over-reliance on debt in the "want it now" society.  My economics lessons were often about the "savings ratio" and the idea that money not spent by individuals on "stuff" was "saved" and became available to businesses to use.  We see this in, for example, pensions.  Money saved by individuals for their future is invested and becomes a source of funds for enterprise.  Our economy is now distorted because the majority "service" type businesses don't need to absorb capital in the same way as happened in our industrial enterprise past, and way too many bankers and financial institutions are looking for the quick buck.  If anyone really wanted to reform the economy and investment, this is where they'd start, in my view

Apologies for straying so far from the new ticket machine at Pershore :-)
infoman

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2020, 13:12:10 »

Spoke to one of the boss's a few years ago,saying that Pewsey needed a ticket machine on the money side of the station,the upside.

Stonehouse should have a ticket machine on its money side of the station,the upside.

Don't worry about the two pound fifty fares to Gloucester and Cheltenham.

Its most likely to do with the fact that their is no accessable telephone and electricity lines on the upsides and they would cost money to install.

Lets not even go down the road of putting electricity and telephone cables underneath the railway line.

Just wondering on how may passengers have boarded up bound services at Pewsey and Stonehouse,

wanting to pay and no one comes round to take their money.

With the train ending up going up an unbarrierd platform.
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2020, 15:40:14 »

The ticket machine has now got a new hat.

higher res: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pwh9tlGoO5fPJ7mnBRwSz3gm6kF0MtEk/view?usp=sharing

Edit - sorting out image - Grahame
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 16:12:59 by grahame » Logged
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2020, 15:52:27 »

In the case of Stonehouse and IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) also Pewsey, the main entrance to the station is on the down side. The up platform just faces on to fields (Doverow Hill). I know there is a footpath from the up platform towards Stroud but I can't remember if it actually gives access to the station. Anyway, point is at least 99% of Stonehouse passengers will pass through or by the down platform even if catching an up train. In addition to the electricity supply problems!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Witham Bobby
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2020, 16:19:55 »

The bus timetable in the back of the picture is at a convenient height for all the ants requiring public transport.  What on earth kind of idea is that?
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2020, 23:28:51 »

The ticket machine has now got a new hat.

higher res: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pwh9tlGoO5fPJ7mnBRwSz3gm6kF0MtEk/view?usp=sharing

Edit - sorting out image - Grahame

Isn’t it odd, on logical and safety grounds, that you have to walk past the machine as you enter the platform, and then turn to face it with your back to the track?
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2020, 10:05:43 »

Isn’t it odd, on logical and safety grounds, that you have to walk past the machine as you enter the platform, and then turn to face it with your back to the track?

It seems to be a standard position. I can't think of any stations with a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) on the platform that don't face that way.
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2020, 10:20:39 »

The concept of buying a ticket seems alien to quite a few Pershore passengers, so it might be a waste of electricity...until a gate line is put in at Foregate Street anyway.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2020, 10:50:30 »

It seems to be a standard position. I can't think of any stations with a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) on the platform that don't face that way.

From discussions at Melksham concerning equipment placement, and comment from elsewhere too ...

a) Consider the angle of the sun onto the screen.   Ticket sales at Melksham are predominantly in the morning (is that the case in most places, considering day returns?) so a screen facing north or west is preferable to one facing east or south.

b) Screen such that people face away from the platform edge to use it. Apparently safer (?)  / stops people walking ahead and off the platform once they have completed their purchase, and having things make people face away from the tracks lessens suicide risks.    Think that came up in "frequent posters" a couple of years ago.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2020, 17:01:14 »

The concept of buying a ticket seems alien to quite a few Pershore passengers, so it might be a waste of electricity...until a gate line is put in at Foregate Street anyway.

Well I have to say that 90% of that is due to Great Western.

In the days of Thames Turbos on the line most guards went through the train selling tickets.

HST (High Speed Train) guards did not do as well but that is understandable with lots of short platforms to deal with and slam doors. But at least you could go and find the guard ether in the TGS or the Buffet.

With IET (Intercity Express Train)'s the effort to sell tickets has become almost non-existant and the gauard is hidden beyond the kitchen. There is really no excuse for this most services are 5 car and fit the platforms, so the guard can close the doors from anywere on the train and give the right away. You cannot even ask the trolly operator to contact the guard as they are like hens teeth.

Nether have I encountered revenue protection on an IET.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2020, 17:22:42 by TonyN » Logged
IndustryInsider

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2020, 18:01:33 »

I believe they were told not to put themselves at risk due to the antisocial behaviour of people boarding there (and at Evesham) leading to safety fears when they are on their own.  RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context))’s were recruited at Worcester a few years ago in an attempt to sort the problem out, but are not very good at all in my experience even when they are on a train.

The current situation means ticket checks, in general, have decreased dramatically for understandable reasons - though they have to be somewhere on the platform to dispatch - with longer platforms now, that can mean its harder to track them down.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JontyMort

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2020, 19:05:57 »

From discussions at Melksham concerning equipment placement, and comment from elsewhere too ...

a) Consider the angle of the sun onto the screen.   Ticket sales at Melksham are predominantly in the morning (is that the case in most places, considering day returns?) so a screen facing north or west is preferable to one facing east or south.

To be fair, this faces about north.

b) Screen such that people face away from the platform edge to use it. Apparently safer (?)  / stops people walking ahead and off the platform once they have completed their purchase, and having things make people face away from the tracks lessens suicide risks.    Think that came up in "frequent posters" a couple of years ago.

Interesting.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2020, 19:53:28 »

e-book readers such as Amazon Kindle are apparently good for reading in direct sunlight.
Perhaps in future colour e-ink / electronic paper screens could be used on TVM (Ticket Vending Machine)'s.
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2020, 23:02:43 »

Currently there is a total lack of Train running information at Pershore.
The platform information screen has been offline for about 2 months.

And the help point has been downgraded with the display screen blanked off.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 23:08:44 by TonyN » Logged
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2020, 07:04:10 »

Should the thread title be "Lack of Developments"?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: