I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:38:45 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Coronavirus lockdown: All you need to know about new measures  (Read 4875 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 23, 2020, 15:04:40 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Coronavirus lockdown: All you need to know about new measures

except ... nothing ... in the article about how you get to these places.   Can you use the bus / train?  Have I missed something or is this a marketing coup for the private car?

Edit to add:
Further details (still zero comment on travelling) at https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-53152416

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 15:44:32 »

Looking to find out what this means for trains ...twitter exchange with @GWRHelp (highlighted) and advise following up in public from a third party (italics)

@GWRHelp - good to see many of the places your trains go will be re-opening on 4th July. Can we use your trains to get there, or is it "private cars only"? https://pic.twitter.com/4zkKKUNwAx

Hi, trains are available for those that need to use them. If you do travel you must wear a face covering and please travel at quieter off-peak times and use mobile tickets where possible. -Andy

(Asked for clarification of what "need" meant ...)

The trains are there if you need them. -Andy

Thank you, Andy. Still unclear on "need" definition Does that mean (a) only essential journeys or (b) OK now for none-essential journeys (e.g. leisure) if you can't use a car?

There is no restriction on travel, you can use the train if you need to. -Andy

I read that as (b) - no car, go by train OK.  Sorry to keep asking - took me 2 goes to get English 'O' level and I need it spelled out sometimes!

@chrisbates3
Replying to @MelkshamRUG and @GWRHelp
Social distancing will still be restricting the numbers on each train. So you may face queues and/or be unable to board trains of your choice. On that basis, would you try & travel if its non-essential? And you may prevent an essential traveller from boarding

Hmmm ...

With a capacity of 45 per train and current numbers less that a tenth of that, the chance of queues or preventing others travelling is minimal. Of course that could change. 

I might want to travel to see friends and family if space is available on the train ... just as people who drive want to visit people they've not seen in a while, so I would like to see my daughter in Sholing ...  STILL unsure though as to whether that is "need"!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2020, 16:12:50 »

I’ll continue to report back with how busy the network gets as restrictions are lifted further.  The relaxation to one metre at least gives the transport industry room to breathe a little heavier.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2020, 18:11:10 »

Hmmm ...

With a capacity of 45 per train and current numbers less that a tenth of that, the chance of queues or preventing others travelling is minimal. Of course that could change. 

I might want to travel to see friends and family if space is available on the train ... just as people who drive want to visit people they've not seen in a while, so I would like to see my daughter in Sholing ...  STILL unsure though as to whether that is "need"!

The problem here is the same as it's always been, and has risen in other countries too. With a very low capacity set by infection control measures, how do you limit demand to be less than that? Reservations have been applied more widely in some places, but that idea still causes alarm and consternation here. So the "plan" is to be as discouraging as possible, in the hope that only those who don't have an alternative will turn up. That works by discouraging both travel at all and not using a car that is available. There isn't an alternative that involves clear rules, as that would not guarantee numbers being below the limit. Or do you fancy a version of of the coupon system used by TER Hauts-de-France (dropped earlier this month, along with all on-board spacing limits)?

The tricky bit is when you've got there (like a shop?) using empty trains, but turn up for the return home and they are now too busy. What does the TOC (Train Operating Company) do then? Imitate TfL» (Transport for London - about) during the lockdown - and look the other way, saying "none of my business, mate"? Deny you travel, making you wait (unless it's late already)? Call you a (partitioned) taxi? I wonder.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2020, 06:11:07 »

Looking to find out what this means for trains ...twitter exchange with @GWRHelp (highlighted) and advise following up in public from a third party (italics)

Hi, trains are available for those that need to use them. -Andy

(Asked for clarification of what "need" meant ...)

The trains are there if you need them. -Andy

Thank you, Andy. Still unclear on "need" definition Does that mean (a) only essential journeys or (b) OK now for none-essential journeys (e.g. leisure) if you can't use a car?

There is no restriction on travel, you can use the train if you need to. -Andy

Perhaps it’s my fault for feeling the need to use that word?  Wink

The July 6th rail service changes will be an ideal time to change the message to 'use the train if you need to, try to stay 1 metre apart, and make sure you wear a mask'.

Let me know if you need to borrow my crystal ball, Broadgage...  Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2020, 06:42:31 »

I *do* hear your concerns about travelling outbound on a train with plenty of capacity, but then finding you have to come home on one that is full. We are very familiar with the issue on the TransWilts - until a couple of years ago, 2 up peak trains in the morning (3 carriages) were 'balanced' by a single 1 carriage train in the evening peak.

But we need (!) balance such that we don't turn people on the borderline of "need" away from that "need" on the basis that there is a statistical possibility under current systems of hitting the safe limits.   Rather like putting 5 cm of water in a bath that's 45 cm tall and stopping at that because it might overflow when a bit more is put in.

Mandatory reservations / "train full" flags with no longer bookings being accepted are (I understand) now with us. Won't those provide the extra safety cover (if not, what are they for?) ... and for my early trips out to meet the need to catch up with my daughter and grandchildren at a distance on the beach at Sholing, I am quite happy to return on a pre-chosen train.

I suspect I'll get kickback to the above from certain members here ... but I do look at what I hear from France and from Belgium, where a return towards using the swathes of unused capacity is being encouraged, and wonder what the difference in the UK (United Kingdom) is where it seems the official policy is to run at 10% of safe capacity.

CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2020, 06:58:07 »

Having no car, so come Saturday week maybe I should try the train and see how it works out.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2020, 12:57:40 »

Mandatory reservations / "train full" flags with no longer bookings being accepted are (I understand) now with us.

As far as I can see, take Friday morning's departures out of Euston heading to the North West. The first 2 Off-Peak Pendolinos are "full", yet there's availability if you pony up the Anytime fare for the 0920 (or earlier).

Remember the wedged up evening services on fare/time boundaries that Virgin took action to try and spread the load over earlier evening trains?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2020, 12:43:22 »

The Sunflower (Lanyard) scheme - supported by GWR (Great Western Railway) to tell people you are face mask exempt

https://www.facebook.com/hiddendisabilitiessunflower/

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2020, 14:04:59 »

TfL» (Transport for London - about) have an "exemptions card" you can download, presumably to be shown on a little screen.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2020, 14:08:20 »

TfL» (Transport for London - about) have an "exemptions card" you can download, presumably to be shown on a little screen.

Good to see Sadiq Khan has his own personal exemption lanyard  Grin

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2020, 14:10:25 »

Good to see Sadiq Khan has his own personal exemption lanyard  Grin

What the words say is :
Who needs to wear a face covering

A small number of customers are not required by law to wear face coverings. People who do not need to wear a covering are listed below.

If you are exempt from wearing a face covering, you can download and print the card below and carry it with you. You may want to print it and wear it on a lanyard or attach it to your clothing. You can show it if you are asked why you are not wearing a face covering. We will also recognise similar cards that may have been issued by other transport operators. You can also display it on your phone.

If you do not have a printer or a smartphone, you can contact us and we will print and post a card to you. Call 0343 222 1234 (charges may apply).

Some TfL» (Transport for London - about) staff may also use this card.

So he might have one.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2020, 15:14:48 »

Tfl have a wraparound on today's Metro, about their restart plan, pointing you to their Restart campaign page online. Neither says anything about how demand for bus and undeground is to be matched to capacity; there's just generalised preaching about the godliness of walking and cycling:

Our approach

Remode - encourage everyone to shop locally and walk or cycle if they can. When schools reopen, children should walk if possible. The return of three primary school year groups could generate around 168,000 bus journeys.

Retime - retime our start and end times across different industries, across London. This should include schools and construction sites, while other sectors sequence their return to work.

Rescale - we need to make structural changes to our road network to increase capacity and ensure the Tube and bus network isn't overwhelmed. We're also creating more space for walking and cycling through Streetspace for London.

In the longer term we are determined to find solutions to keep London moving, while building a greener, cleaner and healthier city for the future.

Now, here's the key exam question: how's that going to help those people who have essential journeys too far to walk or even cycle? (Please be specific, even if it means writing on more than two sides of the paper.)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2020, 17:44:01 »

Another restart message today, from Brittany Ferries (we noted their closure on 20th March here). They have named next Monday (29th June) for their first routes to reopen, and will (obviously) have a reduced capacity. More details here, including the dates for routes coming back later. Here's their list of new measures to be taken:
Your guide to sailing safely this summer

Before you sail

If you are unwell, please stay at home.
  Masks must be worn at all times when in public areas of the ports and ships.
  Passengers must check in at least 90 minutes before departure.
  Boarding & disembarkation will be staggered to avoid queues on stairs and on car decks.

During your sailing

Wash hands regularly, use hand sanitisers and follow all crew instructions.
  Read signs on board and respect social distancing guidance in all public areas.
  A cabin or reserved seat is compulsory on all sailings. To minimise contact with others remain in this personal space as much as possible.
  In restaurants and bars, menu choices may be limited and space adapted to comply with new safety protocols.

For your safety

Fresh sea air is supplied in all public areas on board, including cabins.
  Enhanced cleaning with virucidal cleaners will take place during and between sailings.
  In all public areas, the crew will wear masks when interacting with passengers.
  Medical assistance is available in the event of a suspected COVID-19 case, including a dedicated cabin for isolation.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: