23/03/24 - Trains restart - Minehead
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 03:56:38 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[99] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[95] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[80] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[51] Europeran Rail Timetable
[51] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: What will put you off travelling by bus in the near future?  (Voting closed: July 05, 2020, 08:05:10)
Having a significant risk of not being able to get on - 11 (12.4%)
Having to book ahead - 18 (20.2%)
Having to travel earlier / later than ideal due to sparse service - 7 (7.9%)
It's much easier to drive at present - 7 (7.9%)
It's much easier to walk/cycle at present - 7 (7.9%)
Not being able to maintain social distance on bus - 15 (16.9%)
Not being sure when it would reach destination due to variable route - 1 (1.1%)
Risk of being quizzed about "do you need to travel" - 8 (9%)
Significant wait along the way - 9 (10.1%)
Variable pricing - more expensive on popular days - 4 (4.5%)
I would never use a bus anyway - 0 (0%)
I use the bus whatever the issues - 2 (2.2%)
Total Voters: 28

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Buses - what would put you off using them soon?  (Read 4164 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2020, 14:52:49 »

I don't *think* so - although in the current circumstances I didn't fancy touching it to find out.
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2020, 17:02:51 »

Chuffed Stop displays are normally local authority operated.
Roadside timetables take time to produce and then even longer to put up, there will be delays in these times of frequent change as demand changes. The roadside publicity refers you to the online journey planners and timetables on the company website, so I’d say Firsts own website is the most reliable source for up to date running.
3rd party timetables like travelline are not keeping up.

Here in Bath, when I walked into town yesterday, all the digital displays had the Amber, Cloud, Initialising display and then said to see the timetable display. However, all the roadside displays had been removed, and were blank. So there was no mention anywhere about looking at any website (and this assumes that all users would have web access while at a bus stop, which I don't and nor do many others).

I was aware of the changes in timetable, so what I wanted was the real time information, which the display would normally give. I don't understand why that should not have been working yesterday, as it shouldn't be affected by timetable changes, should it?
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2020, 17:51:51 »

With reference to Liskeard Rich's comment about LA produced timetables....a couple of years back, I challenged North Someret's public transport department about having replaced all the timetables locally a week ago, and then changed them all again a week later, complaining about a waste of money. The rather sniffy response I received  stated that with a state of the art laser printer in the corner, they could print as many timetables as they liked at the touch of a button.
So why have they been caught out this time, when the new timetables have been out for over a week ?
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2020, 20:02:19 »

The council operated ones in Swindon haven't worked for around two years.

However a new one showing departures outside the railway station has been installed in recent months.

I presume that's a touch screen display?
I don't *think* so - although in the current circumstances I didn't fancy touching it to find out.

The reason I asked is that the display seems to have several clickable links at the top, bottom and possibly within the timings.
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2020, 20:05:22 »

Arriva have asked passengers to sit one seat per row from tomorrow.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: