07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:24 Taunton to London Paddington
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 08:31:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] A daily picture from my recent travels
[78] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[68] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[66] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[55] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[35] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: E-scooter trials - but rental only. What do members think?  (Read 60136 times)
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: September 27, 2021, 19:32:48 »

I am being disingenuous in suggesting that vendors of e-scooters warn that it should only be used on private land. Shops stocking them do claim to do so when interviewed by the media.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 05, 2021, 09:02:44 »

E-scooters injuries in Berkshire revealed in new figures
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #152 on: November 05, 2021, 09:21:49 »

South Central Ambulance Service provided information of the 43 reports following a freedom of information request submitted by the Bracknell News.

To give an idea of how significant that figure of 43 is, did they ask for the number of reports of accidents involving pedestrians and cars during that same period (however long it was?)

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 05, 2021, 09:27:02 »

South Central Ambulance Service provided information of the 43 reports following a freedom of information request submitted by the Bracknell News.

To give an idea of how significant that figure of 43 is, did they ask for the number of reports of accidents involving pedestrians and cars during that same period (however long it was?)

Whataboutery.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 03, 2022, 08:53:27 »

200 rental e-scooters have been burnt in a warehouse blaze in Bristol.

Metro
Hundreds of e-scooters were burnt in a ‘significant’ New Year’s Day fire in Bristol.

The rental devices were damaged after the blaze broke out in a warehouse in the suburb of Brislington at around 12.30pm.

Avon Fire and Rescue Service (AFRS) said they were on the scene for more than seven hours, leaving the industrial unit at 7.45pm.

The unit was being used to store hundreds of pink Voi e-scooters – a popular mode of transport in the city which can be found on most street corners........
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #155 on: January 03, 2022, 09:14:07 »

200 rental e-scooters have been burnt in a warehouse blaze in Bristol.

How many are there in total?  Latest I can see is 400 in Bristol + 200 in South Gloucestershire - is that a pool of 600 based in that warehouse? 

I await the headlines confirming the huge fire risk of e-scooters, with 33% of the fleet having gone up in smoke within 2 years ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 03, 2022, 14:59:26 »

What CAUSED the fire ? was it a lithium battery in a scooter, or some unrelated event with the scooters being merely collateral damage.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 03, 2022, 17:11:15 »

It's not yet known. The fire brigade are investigating. They have only said they do not think it was arson.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 03, 2022, 21:50:21 »

What CAUSED the fire ? was it a lithium battery in a scooter, or some unrelated event with the scooters being merely collateral damage.

Or a small blaze from faulty wiring fuelled by the batteries? Someone will tell us one day, I am sure.

I await the headlines confirming the huge fire risk of e-scooters, with 33% of the fleet having gone up in smoke within 2 years ...

I don't think much will be said about it for very long, grahame. The press didn't have much to say about the three fires on aircraft in 2020 caused by batteries (2) and a charger, and this is trivial by comparison. After all, one or two e-scooters spontaneously combusting in the open air, where they spend most of their time, would not be a big issue, and when they are all alone in a warehouse for the night, nobody is likely to get hurt. I am sure that replacements with improved safety features will be cobbled together and shipped from somewhere distant as soon as the materials have been dug out of a huge hole in Africa. Then we can get on with improving the environment, at least in Britain.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2022, 22:03:52 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 04, 2022, 09:45:27 »

We know there are fire risks to lithium batteries but we also know those risks can be controlled, and in the commonest consumer items, they are. It's very rare for a fire to start from a laptop or phone battery, for instance. I've heard of fires from cheap Chinese bike lights bought on Ali Express or Ebay, but not from those made by manufacturers with reputations (that includes Chinese manufacturers like Fenix as well as the Americans or Japanese etc). Electric scooters are probably found at various points on this scale...

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 04, 2022, 12:40:29 »

We know there are fire risks to lithium batteries but we also know those risks can be controlled, and in the commonest consumer items, they are. It's very rare for a fire to start from a laptop or phone battery, for instance. I've heard of fires from cheap Chinese bike lights bought on Ali Express or Ebay, but not from those made by manufacturers with reputations (that includes Chinese manufacturers like Fenix as well as the Americans or Japanese etc). Electric scooters are probably found at various points on this scale...

Rare indeed, given that almost 2.4 billion mobile phones and an unknown number of other Li batteries do not catch fire each day. It's the "almost" that is the problem, and the laws of physics dictate that it will be in Bristol.

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 04, 2022, 13:12:51 »

Large lithium batteries make me rather nervous, and those of cheap or unknown origins make me very nervous.
The technology is arguably no more dangerous than is petrol, but petrol has been in general use for 100 years and society accepts the risks. Lithium batteries are still fairly new technology and society tends to be far less accepting of new risks.

And of course petrol is not meant to be taken on most public transport.

The other difference between petrol and lithium batteries is that MOST accidents involving petrol are due to misuse or stupidity, but poorly manufactured lithium batteries can catch fire even used sensibly.

And of course petrol should not normally be stored or used in living accommodation but lithium batteries are routinely used thus.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 04, 2022, 16:32:08 »

Rare indeed, given that almost 2.4 billion mobile phones and an unknown number of other Li batteries do not catch fire each day. It's the "almost" that is the problem, and the laws of physics dictate that it will be in Bristol.
What about Newton's First Law of Tauntodynamics?

froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #163 on: January 14, 2022, 18:25:27 »

While I'm on the Active Travel section, a small point but one that irks me. Can I just point out that e-scooters are not 'active travel', and are not akin to cyclists or walkers. They are electrically powered vehicles, but unlike e-cycles, do not need any activity to make them move, so play no part in giving users the health benefits that walking and cycling do. There are obviously other benefits they may give users and the general environment, but that is another matter.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 14, 2022, 21:27:48 »

IMO (in my opinion), E-scooters are slightly active travel, more so than driving or sitting on a train.

Although electrically powered, they do do require a little effort, used standing up rather than sitting in a car, need one foot placed on the ground when static or nearly so, user needs to lean into corners.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: