tomorrow - WWRUG AGM
23/03/24 - Trains restart - Minehead
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningDelayed
02:24 Reading to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 03:11:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[99] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[99] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[95] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[80] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[51] Europeran Rail Timetable
[51] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: E-scooter trials - but rental only. What do members think?  (Read 60113 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 30, 2022, 12:01:43 »

But you can ride an e-bike, which in law has the same maximum speed*, at 14. And in many countries you can legally ride a moped, with a top speed double that, at the same age.

*Strictly speaking an electrically assisted pedal cycle has no maximum speed, and is not subject to speed limits, but the electric assistance should cut out at 15mph.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 02, 2022, 09:34:43 »

But you can ride an e-bike, which in law has the same maximum speed*, at 14. And in many countries you can legally ride a moped, with a top speed double that, at the same age.

*Strictly speaking an electrically assisted pedal cycle has no maximum speed, and is not subject to speed limits, but the electric assistance should cut out at 15mph.

I think the distinction is that an e-bike needs pedalling like the traditional old fashioned non-e-bike. The motor is to assist, rather than propel. Also, it has inherent stability - take your hands of the bars, and it continues in a straight line along the road. Try that on a scooter, and you continue in a different straight line, experiencing a rapid decrease in potential energy until your face meets the road.

You can ride a moped legally at 14 in other countries, true, especially those where life seems a little cheaper than in our own nanny state. There are still places where a girl can marry at 13, or even younger, which doesn't make it a good idea.

Now, please!
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 11, 2022, 16:33:52 »

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/20130248.e-scooters-reading-man-fined-riding-across-reading/
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 11, 2022, 16:56:16 »

Riders must ...hold a full provisional driving licence...

Can anyone explain to me what a full provisional driving licence is? Is it the same thing as a provisional full driving licence?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 11, 2022, 18:25:37 »

A figment of crap journalism.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 11, 2022, 22:15:34 »

I'll give you a provisional answer to that question now and reply in full at a later date.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 12, 2022, 06:58:49 »

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news/20130248.e-scooters-reading-man-fined-riding-across-reading/

All I can say is he was extremely unlucky, there are hundreds of them round Reading, plus motorised bicycles (especially round Whitley) and Traffic Police are noticeable by there complete absence in Reading. I imagine he must have been doing something else to catch the police's attention.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 12, 2022, 07:25:03 »

All I can say is he was extremely unlucky, there are hundreds of them round Reading, plus motorised bicycles (especially round Whitley) and Traffic Police are noticeable by there complete absence in Reading. I imagine he must have been doing something else to catch the police's attention.

Either unlucky or his driving was of a standard that called attention to the police. 
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 22, 2022, 17:09:38 »

It seems that escooters are very popular in Ukraine at the moment - handy for getting around war damage.

Separately, a Sunday Times poll of 4,980 readers found that 41% thought that the use of private escooters should be legalised (and 59% did not, so no "don't knows). For what that is worth.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 23, 2022, 15:41:05 »

I find it hard to take seriously a poll in which it seems that everyone was for or against the proposal without any "undecided" or "do not know" votes.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 23, 2022, 15:45:00 »

Riders must ...hold a full provisional driving licence...

Can anyone explain to me what a full provisional driving licence is? Is it the same thing as a provisional full driving licence?

It sounds a bit better and more safety conscious than simply "provisional"
A bit like requiring "full compliance" with wiring regulations, rather than simply "compliance"

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 24, 2022, 07:09:32 »

E-scooters: Thames Valley Police responds to claims of 'no action'
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 24, 2022, 08:26:49 »

From that article:
THE BOSS of Thames Valley Police says his force will always look to investigate when harm has been caused by an e-scooter rider.

This could be construed as the police saying that if you find your horse has bolted, they are happy to pop round and close the stable door for you.

I make few predictions, but I think that as e-scooters are here to stay, there will be some codification of the rules, followed by enforcement. That will probably take the form of the conditions of the existing trials - maximum speed 15.5 mph, insured, not ridden on pavements, (full) provisional driving licence - extended to privately owned models. Sadly, there will have to be more deaths or serious injuries first. If there are too many (and I don't have a figure except that if it involves me or my family one is too many, and as every accident involves someone and their family that may prove to be the national consensus) then we will see registration plates on the scooters so that riders can be identified, compulsory basic training and helmets, and maybe even a test of skill.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2022, 08:42:53 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 24, 2022, 18:14:08 »

Then there's the issue of derestricted e-bikes... which are essentially electric motorcycles. Some of these are capable of 80km/h and can regularly seen wheelie-ing along the pavements of estates without the law.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 24, 2022, 18:47:07 »

And what about the guy I've seen whizzing around here on busy roads, some narrow and wiggly too, on an electric unicycle? That looks really scary. No doubt with skill and enough reaction time they stop a lot better than I imagine, but if anything goes wrong ...
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: