17/08/24 - Bus to Imber

No 'On This Day' events reported for 19th Mar

Train RunningCancelled
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:04 Bath Spa to Filton Abbey Wood
07:45 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
08:59 Cheltenham Spa to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 05:08:16 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[93] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[93] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[90] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[75] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[48] Europeran Rail Timetable
[48] Improvements at three Berkshire stations

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: E-scooter trials - but rental only. What do members think?  (Read 60126 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2021, 08:07:43 »

I saw two people using them today. I think they'd just activated the app and unlocked them.

Yeah, 20p a minute does seem a lot compared to ?1 an hour for the Yo bikes (which of course aren't electric) or even to a bus fare.

Noting that YoBikes are now NoBikes.  From Bristol 24/7

Bristol’s dockless bicycle hire scheme is no more, with YoBike quietly pulling the plug on their operations in the city.

The YoBike website has been deleted but the app is still available to download.

Customers across Bristol are now asking how they can get money back which is still on their accounts within the YoBike app.

A natural thinning out of the commercial market as it matures, a problem with the business model, or something else?  How are cycle hire outfits doing elsewhere?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2021, 13:59:28 »

As far as I'm aware other schemes in other cities are still running. I can only speculate but I'd guess at two factors:
Competition from the new (to Bristol) electric scooter hire scheme, which is very popular.
A natural consequence of the dockless hire model. Because the bikes don't have to be returned to a secure location to end the hire period, they're more vulnerable to vandalism, theft and being thrown in the New Cut. This means greater operating expenses in terms of distribution and maintenance and replenishing dwindling supplies. Which leads to another potential factor, running out of stock!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2021, 12:59:19 »

They've pretty much all gone from Oxford, which once had four competing companies. Great shame - I used Mobike extensively in Milan a couple of years ago and it was a superb way of seeing the city. But frankly this is what happens when big-bang VC investment means that a company doesn't grow a market organically...
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2021, 22:50:10 »

And, coincidentally, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) today -
Bikes from failed ReadyBike hire scheme used for tourism boost

Bicycles left over from a failed hire scheme are being donated to hotels in a bid to boost tourism.

The ReadyBike scheme in Reading ended in 2019 after struggling when a government subsidy ended.

It emerged Reading Borough Council had been keeping the scheme running at a cost of £10,000 a month.

The council said it was donating 50 redundant bikes as a "new sustainable travel option" for hotel visitors and staff.

The stock of ReadyBikes has been kept in storage since the bike hire scheme ended two years ago.

The bikes were also offered to key workers in Reading as part of a short-term loan scheme during the pandemic.

Reading's hotels had suffered from lockdowns restricting overnight stays, with some losing almost an entire year's income, the council said.

Nigel Horton Baker of Reading UK (United Kingdom), which promotes tourism in the Berkshire town, said the donation was "very welcome" for the "hard-hit tourism and hospitality sector" which has been curtailed with lockdowns restricting overnight stays.

"With business visitor numbers decimated, it is vital that Reading's hotels are able to attract leisure visitors this year.

"Promoting Reading as a healthy and safe outdoor destination will be an important strand of this work," he added.
CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2021, 07:27:15 »

The Brompton hire in Reading also failed, although I believe that was partly to do with repeated attempts to steal the bikes. Last time I looked Brompton hire had never turned a profit.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 29, 2021, 10:09:54 »

I would imagine (might be wrong) the Brompton Docks were aimed very much at commuters. So maybe, just maybe, business will pick up for them from next year.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 29, 2021, 13:58:23 »

In Bristol, I became accustomed to the yellow bikes, or remains thereof, being dumped willy-nilly. I wondered how a business could continue in that situation. Seems I know the answer now.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2021, 13:55:27 »

HIRE SCOOTERS REMOVED FROM AREAS OF CLIFTON VILLAGE

The menace of a melee of hire scooters has led to complaints that the vehicles are regularly blocking pavements across Bristol.

Voi vehicles need to be parked by users in specific places, but some of these “geofenced” areas are on narrow pavements.

Cliftonwood resident Jess Siggers said that she “frigging hates these things”, referring to the e-scooters and tweeting a photo of more than a dozen them blocking the pavement on Sion Hill close to the Clifton Suspension Bridge.

[...]

The e-scooter operator is now exploring new user features to ensure scooters are correctly parked and has launched a page where people can report any misplaced scooters: www.voiscooters.com/report/uk

Full article
Source: Bristol247

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2021, 21:11:52 »

E scooter hire to be expanded.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48106617

A good thing in my view, there will of course be accidents, but hopefully not too many.
Cycling and walking also results in accidents but these modes of transport are tolerated and even encouraged.

With the current concerns about climate change and fossil fuel depletion, we need to encourage use of E-scooters and other very low carbon options such as E-bikes.

In my view private E scooters should be allowed, not just rental machines. They should be subject to the same limits on speed as are E- cycles.

E-scooters and E-bikes of greater speed and power should NOT be totally prohibited, but should be treated as motorcycles, and require a motorcycle licence, hard hat, and insurance.

No such should be required for low speed machines.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 07, 2021, 22:23:16 »

E scooter hire to be expanded.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-48106617

A good thing in my view, there will of course be accidents, but hopefully not too many.
Cycling and walking also results in accidents but these modes of transport are tolerated and even encouraged.

With the current concerns about climate change and fossil fuel depletion, we need to encourage use of E-scooters and other very low carbon options such as E-bikes.

In my view private E scooters should be allowed, not just rental machines. They should be subject to the same limits on speed as are E- cycles.

E-scooters and E-bikes of greater speed and power should NOT be totally prohibited, but should be treated as motorcycles, and require a motorcycle licence, hard hat, and insurance.

No such should be required for low speed machines.

Those on offer in 4 London Boroughs are limited to 15mph and require the hirer to have a car licence, not motorcycle licence.

Helmets are not compulsory, but anyone choosing not to wear one clearly has little worth protecting in their head.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2021, 04:03:57 »

Those on offer in 4 London Boroughs are limited to 15mph and require the hirer to have a car licence, not motorcycle licence.

I would suspect the car license is chosen because it's a commonly held license that requires you to know rules of the road and to have been passed as reasonably competent.  Fewer people hold motorcycle licenses, so to require one of those instead, though probably closer in skill needs to an e-scooter, would limit the market of possible renters.   I couldn't find stats for the numbers of licenses, but I did find a page telling me that motorcycle miles are about one hundredth of car miles.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2021, 06:20:47 »

I would suspect the car license is chosen because it's a commonly held license that requires you to know rules of the road and to have been passed as reasonably competent.  Fewer people hold motorcycle licenses, so to require one of those instead, though probably closer in skill needs to an e-scooter, would limit the market of possible renters.   I couldn't find stats for the numbers of licenses, but I did find a page telling me that motorcycle miles are about one hundredth of car miles.

It's because Category Q, which includes trial e-scooters, is included on a car license.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2021, 10:29:39 »

It's also included on a motorcycle licence, according to that BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) story. It would be odd if it were not.

I agree with Broadgage on this, the relevant laws should be amended to allow all e-scooters to be used legally on roads, subject to the speed, weight and power limits applied to the hire scooters.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2021, 10:57:48 »

Helmets are not compulsory, but anyone choosing not to wear one clearly has little worth protecting in their head.

Voi quite assertively recommend that anyone hiring one of their e-scooters should wear a helmet. Of course it doesn't cost Voi much to do that, and could help their defence should a customer sustain a head injury and subsequently sue.

In reality, Voi's business model is all about convenience. Almost certainly most of their users don't possess a helmet of any kind. For those who do have one, it may not be very convenient to carry it around on the off-chance that they may need it.

I have seen a lot of people riding Voi scooters where I live in north-west Bristol. I can't remember seeing anyone wearing a helmet on one. Maybe this is in part due to the fact that there are few modern highways and extensive 20 mph speed limits in much of this area, making the roads somewhat safer for non-motorists.

At the end of the WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about) trial we'll presumably have statistics on rates of injury, including where crashes happened, who else was involved and what protective clothing the user was wearing. From these it will be possible to take a balanced view on how these machines should be regulated, without indulging in victim-blaming or culture war tropes.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2021, 11:28:44 »

A study of 248 people injured in Berlin revealed that 1 in 4 of those injured whilst riding scooters were admitted to hospital, 1 in 5 who came off were over the drink drive limit (of whom 31% sustained traumatic brain injuries), and only 1 in 100 were wearing a helmet.

The study concluded that helmets should be compulsory, there should be a minimum age limit of 18, a ban on alcohol no driving on pavements and strict adherence to traffic regulations.

Let's hope we take all that on board. Protecting one's brain is probably worth a little minor inconvenience.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: