Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:25 Okehampton to Exeter Central
08:34 Exeter Central to Okehampton
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:23 London Paddington to Swansea
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
05:55 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:30 Liskeard to Looe
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:12:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: E-scooter trials - but rental only. What do members think?  (Read 60216 times)
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: September 04, 2021, 11:46:13 »

One of the parking places for the new Minehead scooters is adjacent to the harbour and a busy pub, not perhaps the best choice. I foresee problems.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 12, 2021, 01:52:17 »

Shock headline news in Slough - An elderly gentleman has been filmed deliberately knocking the scooters only!

The Slough Observer is on the case.

https://www.sloughobserver.co.uk/news/19572517.e-scooters-pushed-elderly-man-walking-stick-slough/

I'm not entirely sure what qualifies as news these days but I suppose it makes a change from photos of angry residents pointing at things they don't like.  Smiley

Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: September 12, 2021, 07:51:10 »

Shock headline news in Slough - An elderly gentleman has been filmed deliberately knocking the scooters only!

The Slough Observer is on the case.

https://www.sloughobserver.co.uk/news/19572517.e-scooters-pushed-elderly-man-walking-stick-slough/

I'm not entirely sure what qualifies as news these days but I suppose it makes a change from photos of angry residents pointing at things they don't like.  Smiley

I don't beleeeve it!

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #138 on: September 12, 2021, 09:56:00 »

As even, the real depth of public opinion on the story is exposed in the comments

This is so shocking I don't think I will ever be able to sleep ever again. What has the world come to, when someone can knock over an inanimate object, just because some inconsiderate person chooses to dump the scooter in the middle of the pavement, what kind of monster is he. This is the start of the breakdown of society, in 10 or 20 years we will have people stabbing and shooting each other indiscriminately. Thank you Observer for bringing this important shocking horrific incident to our attention. With such brilliant journalism hopefully we can save humanity.

There's a very well coordinated smear campaign against escooters going on across all UK (United Kingdom) media for at least a year now. Rarely do I see anyone praising this new form of pollution-free transport. The bias is so heavily against them that it seems the goal is to turn public opinion against them to prevent legislation being passed in favour of their use. And from the actions of this man and the earlier comments in this thread and others in many online articles it seems that are being successful. Ask yourself - who gets to benefit if escooters remain illegal and we are forced back into our cars for even the shortest journeys? Based on the news you've seen over the last year, would you say that you find yourself turning more and more against them even though you personally haven't had any negative experience with them that would have made you feel that way. There's an agenda here folks. The purpose of all these articles against escooters seems very much to be to control how you think about them. Is it working?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 12, 2021, 11:33:02 »

The second comment is thought-provoking. Events of the last few years show how a constant drip-feed of misinformation and biased reporting can, over time, persuade the majority of people to follow a path which only benefits a few vested interests.

But we can't pretend that the implementation of scooter schemes is perfect:

• They get left in dangerous places;
  • Riders may be inconsiderate, drunk or on drugs;
  • Unqualified or underage people use them.

All these things are true of private motor cars, of course, but when cars are involved we tend to point the finger of blame at the driver rather than their mode of transport. Funny, that.

We ought to be able to do something about parking though. Isn't the right place to store these things on the road, in adapted car parking spaces? A car parking space could easily accommodate a dozen or so scooters without obstructing the pavement.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 12, 2021, 11:56:56 »

I largely agree with the second comment, regarding a hidden agenda against E scooters.

Not certain WHY this should be though ? They seem to tolerate electric cycles which are in many ways comparable. Why is a car licence required to operate an E scooter but not an E cycle ?

Anyone can purchase and use an E cycle, so why the restrictions on the E scooters ?

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 12, 2021, 12:09:04 »

In Birmingham and I think also Liverpool, where Voi run the schemes, all the scooter parking is now in docks. Although these are placed on the pavement rather than on the road carriageway, it does mean they don't block the pavements. It's especially helpful for the blind and wheelchair users, but for everyone really. The scheme in Bristol is also run by Voi but for some reason we don't have docked parking yet. One disadvantage of the docked parking is that it limits the usefulness of the scooters – they become only dock to dock, not door to door – but this is already the case in Bristol as they are geofenced; just that the geofencing isn't as precise or as neat as a physical dock.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 12, 2021, 13:31:11 »

I largely agree with the second comment, regarding a hidden agenda against E scooters.

Not certain WHY this should be though ? They seem to tolerate electric cycles which are in many ways comparable. Why is a car licence required to operate an E scooter but not an E cycle ?

Anyone can purchase and use an E cycle, so why the restrictions on the E scooters ?

This was answered last time you asked the same question:

Electrically assisted cycles require you to do some of the work by peddling. Electrically powered cycles are classed as motor vehicles as no human power input is used. There is a very significant difference. Escooters are solely powered by electricity and are thus motor vehicles in law.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 12, 2021, 13:50:10 »

But ARE E scooters propelled solely by electric power ? The ones that I have seen are also propelled by the rider applying one foot to the ground and pushing backwards as with a non powered scooter.

Many electrical assisted cycles can be moved by electricity alone without use of the pedals. AFAIK (as far as I know) this design is legal subject to a limit on maximum speed under power.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2021, 14:22:00 »

But ARE E scooters propelled solely by electric power ?

Yes.

You push with your foot to get it going, but after that speed is controlled by buttons on the handlebars. With (legal) e-bikes, on the other hand, their speed is related to the speed at which you pedal.

This may seem to some extent a nice distinction, but it actually makes quite a difference.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 12, 2021, 21:33:30 »

Many electrical assisted cycles can be moved by electricity alone without use of the pedals. AFAIK (as far as I know) this design is legal subject to a limit on maximum speed under power.
Not usually. AFAIK this was legal up to a certain speed under older regulations but not on anything newer.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 12, 2021, 21:39:48 »

Today I was stewarding at a street party. My tasks basically consisted of moving a barrier for vehicles which had a legitimate reason for access and telling others why they couldn't come in, etc. Without exception, every single e-scooter followed the diversion signs without needing to be told, apart from one or two which were actually coming to the party (there is a designated parking spot in the street party area) and they got off and pushed. The reports you read in some places would give you a very different expectation.

CyclingSid

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 16, 2021, 12:11:47 »

Regrettably not all are as well-behaved as your visitors https://road.cc/content/news/police-seek-e-scooter-rider-after-cyclist-seriously-injured-286357
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 27, 2021, 18:28:49 »

Very moving account, just been shown on the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page), making the argument for helmets to be made compulsory.

BBC News - Shakur Pinnock e-scooter death: 'His sacrifices will save a lot of people'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-58711393
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 27, 2021, 18:54:42 »

A tragic and unnecessary death.

In addition to the lack of helmets, the couple were riding an unauthorised scooter on the road, and were both riding the one scooter.  (By being unauthorised, there was no opportunity for the hire company to ensure that they were aware of the risks, ways to mitigate them (ie do's and don'ts), and that they were licensed to ride them.)

So unfortunately they did stack the odds against themselves, in more ways than not wearing helmets, and paid a very heavy price for doing so. My impression is that there isn't enough awareness that you can't take a privately owned E-scooter on the highway (I've never seen it publicised) so somehow I doubt this will be last such incident resulting in a tragic loss of life.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: