17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
27th Mar (1963)
Publication of Beeching Report (link)

Train RunningCancelled
27/03/24 04:35 Reading to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 27, 2024, 05:12:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[131] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats
[97] Who needs a travel agent these days?
[55] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[41] TransWilts CIC appoints new chair
[39] World First Solar Train Arrives in Byron Bay [Australia]
[22] Notification of different standards - Bedwyn and Melksham

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: LNER - promotion with discounted tickets  (Read 2410 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 08, 2020, 07:15:56 »

From Ian Visits

The train company, LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about) is offering discounted mid-week travel across its network, from London to Scotland.

They have 50,000 tickets for LNER trains from £5 each way, for travel between 10 August and 3 September, Monday to Thursday only – and that includes the early morning trains.

As with most of these deals, you need to be rather flexible with your plans to be able to book the cheapest options. Unusually and very nicely, the trips don’t have to be off-peak, as I can see the cheap offers appearing on the booking page as early as 6am for some departures, giving you more time to spend at your destination.

Trips need to be booked by midnight on Wednesday 19th August.

Some example trips include:

London to Grantham – £5 one way
London to Leeds – £10 one way
London to York – £10 one way
London to Newcastle – £15 one way
London to Edinburgh – £20 one way
Travel right now is more pleasant than normal thanks to the quieter trains, so you can have a trip outside London for a low price and on a quieter train. Bliss!

How are we doing in lower cost advance tickets in "GWR (Great Western Railway) land" ... I have frankly rather taken my eye off the ball in watching for advance tickets ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 21:39:43 »

Good to see the train companies (DafT) promoting their product again, but how may of us want to travel by train for leisure? I used to use the train to visit a town, to explore it's canals, museums, pubs, then a leisurly trip home, again stopping off at an intermidate town for another pub. But will I want to do that now, I am just over 50, so whilst a keen cyclist, and we do have some cracking pubs here in the Christchurch area, so will I ever want to go on a train powered pub crawl again? Also the uncertainty over future employment once the job retention scheme ends in October, lots of questions. A poll perhaps..
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 21:21:54 by MVR S&T » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 06:00:25 »

... lots of questions. A poll perhaps ...

Yes, though our in-forum polls are limited to a single question on each of them.  I would dearly love, on a few but important occasions, to have an ability here to ask multiple questions, of different types, and correlate the answers ...

You are very welcome to start a poll or two. Do take a look at the poll of a month ago at http://www.passenger.chat/23731 where I asked "What will put you off travelling by bus in the near future?". That is not the same question, and now a month out of date, but something to take a look at as you phrase a question, think of possible answers (to avoid too many "other" responses), and try to write in such a way that your question is not a leading one.   Happy to help set up / phrase question, etc ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 21:15:48 »

From the Independent too ...

The nationalised train operator on the East Coast main line has cut fares to 20th-century levels in a bid to win back passengers.

LNER» (London North Eastern Railway - about), which runs from London King’s Cross to Yorkshire, northeast England and Scotland, has today launched a short-term promotion that undercuts most normal Advance fares.

Flat fares start at £5 one-way from London to Grantham in standard class. The journey to Leeds is £10, to Newcastle £15 and to Edinburgh £20.

I find myself wondering if we may see some GWR (Great Western Railway) promotions coming up ... wonder what the marketing planners might be planning; seems like it might be being allowed.

MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 21:29:20 »

Soak up the Swindon air. get the latest catch in Swindon.
(Swindon is under watch by the Director of Public health for Corona Virus, yes THE Tracy Daskiewicz, though she is in charge of Wiltshire, Swindon UA - Dr. Ayoola Oyinloye)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 21:46:33 by MVR S&T » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 21:41:00 »

Soak up the swindon air. get the latest catch in Swindon.
(Swindon is under watch by the Director of Public health for Corona Virus, yes THE Tracy Daskiewicz)

Maybe not Swindon, but how about a cheap trip from London to Trowbridge or Stonehouse, Port Talbot or Neath, St Austell or Thornford International?

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 21:43:40 »

Soak up the swindon air. get the latest catch in Swindon.
(Swindon is under watch by the Director of Public health for Corona Virus, yes THE Tracy Daskiewicz)

Maybe not Swindon, but how about a cheap trip from London to Trowbridge or Stonehouse, Port Talbot or Neath, St Austell or Thornford International?

5 go to Port Talbot?
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 21:57:37 »

Any GWR (Great Western Railway) Railway station to Melksham for £5 return.....
(T&Cs: any GWR train, no break of journey in either direction, you must travel on a train scheduled to call at Melksham)

Next Month, Dilton Marsh, condition, must detrain.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 22:10:20 »

Soak up the Swindon air. get the latest catch in Swindon.
(Swindon is under watch by the Director of Public health for Corona Virus, yes THE Tracy Daskiewicz, though she is in charge of Wiltshire, Swindon UA - Dr. Ayoola Oyinloye)

Tracy was the Director of Public Health for Wiltshire at the time of the Novichok poisoning but has recently moved to a post in Deputy Director of Population Health and Wellbeing for South-West England at Public Health England. I am not sure who has replaced her at Wiltshire Council. 

The Director of Public Health for Swindon Borough Council is Steve Maddern.

Dr Ayo Oyinloye is a Public Health Consultant with the NHS in Swindon
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 22:21:53 »

Info was copied from the .gov website, yes I thought she had been promoted, Wikipedia is correct. Should have known never to trust a government website.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 20:07:12 by MVR S&T » Logged
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 12:11:14 »

Any GWR (Great Western Railway) Railway station to Melksham for £5 return.....

Or £10 single?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: