Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:41:55 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[132] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[52] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[51] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[32] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Heritage Rail - The fascination with BR on steam locos  (Read 3451 times)
southwest
« on: July 30, 2020, 20:36:47 »

Something I have always wondered is why preserved steam locos, predominantly GWR (Great Western Railway) one's seem to be more in BR (British Rail(ways)) colours rather than Great Western.  Both working Kings in the last 20 years have been in BR, Most of the Castles are in BR, Most of the Halls are in BR. Apart from 5521 and 5526 all of them are BR.  I know heritage railways have to cater for a mix, but what is so special about the BR era?, one from which my grandparents told me was pretty abysmal compared to GWR days.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 20:46:09 »

IMO (in my opinion) ex GWR (Great Western Railway) locos look good in BR (British Rail(ways)) livery.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 20:47:43 »

....and

1 - The lined Brunswick Green livery applied to many Western Region locos is particularly attractive
2 - Quite a few preserved "GWR (Great Western Railway)" locos were in fact built in BR (British Rail(ways)) days, so a BR livery is authentic (eg final batches of Manors and Castles, most Modified Halls, Hawksworth panniers)
3 - And a number of engines were further modified after nationalisation, so BR livery is more authentic for them too (eg - double chimney Castles)
4 - For many of us who can remember "real" steam, our memories are from the last days of steam
5 - If you are loaning engines to heritage lines that are not ex-GWR (and there is a disproportionate number of surviving ex GWR or GWR designed locos), then running them in BR livery is perhaps a little less anomalous for the rivet counting section of your customers.
6 - GWR liveries and signwriting were constantly changing, so its probably easier and safer if you are concerned about authenticity to use BR liveries.

Can anyone think of any more?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 20:58:54 by eightonedee » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 20:59:17 »

I'm going to suggest that many of the people who enthusiastic about travelling behind steam these days are doing so to bring back fond memories of their youth ... perhaps in the 1950 to 1965 period ... when these locomotives would have been in BR (British Rail(ways)) colours.

Having those people love the product is key ... if they love it, they will treat their children and grand children.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 08:56:52 »

I'm going to suggest that many of the people who enthusiastic about travelling behind steam these days are doing so to bring back fond memories of their youth ... perhaps in the 1950 to 1965 period ... when these locomotives would have been in BR (British Rail(ways)) colours.

Having those people love the product is key ... if they love it, they will treat their children and grand children.

I think you could be right, this is the era perhaps when many of the senior volunteers on heritage railways were children.  Also there are more colour photos and moving images of the 50's & 60's to base the authenticity on

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
southwest
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 12:22:06 »

You are probably right. Thanks for the opinions.  I just think it would be nice to see a GWR (Great Western Railway) liveried King or Castle for a change. A bit of variety!
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2020, 16:52:23 »

Likewise, the majority of preserved Bulleid Pacifics are in BR (British Rail(ways)) livery (although would be interesting to see a rebuilt one in Southern livery!)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 17:10:39 by Umberleigh » Logged
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 11:50:00 »

Likewise, the majority of preserved Bulleid Pacifics are in BR (British Rail(ways)) livery (although would be interesting to see a rebuilt one in Southern livery!)

Not sure it would work rebuilds were almost built for BR Green.
rower40
Transport Scholar

Turning signalling into a video game since 1988.

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2020, 21:29:12 »

I'm looking forward to seeing a steam loco in all-over Rail Blue, with yellow ends.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 18:13:53 »

I'm looking forward to seeing a steam loco in all-over Rail Blue, with yellow ends.

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) there is a picture of one on the a website devoted to liveries that don't actually exist, cant find it now though.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2020, 18:26:17 »

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) there is a picture of one on the a website devoted to liveries that don't actually exist, cant find it now though.

I've been trying to find that site too but couldn't ... seems to have gone away.  I personally liked the 153 in NightStar livery - a sleeper train from the UK (United Kingdom) to mainland Europe, photoshopped at Blaeneau Ffestiniog.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2020, 20:31:58 »

See early experiments at http://www.passenger.chat/23926

Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2020, 22:42:50 »

No yellow ends, but with a quick Google I did find this https://www.flickr.com/photos/trainsandstuff/15821629600. No photoshop required as far as I know (I didn't see this in the flesh so I may have been fooled).

Something I have seen picture here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/76103602@N03/8585545422/in/album-72157633072950945/ is the steam loco 'Nunny Castle' in a compromise livery, with 'British Railways' on the tender in the style of the older 'Great Western' livery.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 07:14:43 »

Again, no yellow end, but a variation of BR (British Rail(ways)) Blue, seen on an ex-GWR (Great Western Railway) King, 6023 King Edward II, on the Torbay and Dartmouth Steam Railway

Click in the image to enlarge
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: