Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:09 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19/04/24 06:04 Gloucester to Worcester Foregate Street
Short Run
22:36 Worcester Shrub Hill to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 05:33 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 23:55:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Marsh Barton Station  (Read 30914 times)
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« on: July 31, 2020, 18:41:31 »

New plans though I have not found the detail plans on the portal.

“The proposed station will have two platforms, with the eastern and western platforms served by trains to Newton Abbot and Exeter, respectively. Each platform will be 124 metres in length, sufficient to accommodate trains formed of up to 5 cars, and will be 4m wide.”
Each platform will have a waiting shelter, 10m wide by 1.5m deep, containing 12 stainless steel seats with arm rests, and a perch rail for 4 passengers, as well as one ticket vending machine on each platform, located inside the waiting shelters.

Marsh Barton Station. 2 by Robert, on Flickr

Marsh Barton Station by Robert, on Flickr
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2020, 22:38:23 »

From the local news:

https://www-devonlive-com.cdn.ampproject.org/v/s/www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/marsh-barton-train-station-plans-4384046.amp?amp_js_v=a3&amp_gsa=1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA%3D#referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&amp_tf=From%20%251%24s&ampshare=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.devonlive.com%2Fnews%2Fdevon-news%2Fmarsh-barton-train-station-plans-4384046
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2020, 22:54:39 »

That is a spectacular URL .... try https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/marsh-barton-train-station-plans-4384046 without the tracking data  Grin Grin

Was I reading a big cost saving by having the bridge ramps in line with the section aross the railway rather than at right angles it, parallel with the track ... the saving being in reduced payments because the problem of having to build close alongside the main and only railway to South Devon and Cornwall is largely eliminated.

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/marsh-barton-train-station-plans-4384046

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Bob_Blakey
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 10:37:16 »

Hopefully this will now proceed without further delay. The only quibble I have is allowing private motor vehicle access to the station site - given it's principal raison d'être it should be accessible only on foot, by bicycle or a frequent Marsh Barton Trading Estate shuttle bus service preferably using electric or hybrid vehicles.
martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2020, 11:06:31 »

Hopefully this will now proceed without further delay. The only quibble I have is allowing private motor vehicle access to the station site - given it's principal raison d'être it should be accessible only on foot, by bicycle or a frequent Marsh Barton Trading Estate shuttle bus service preferably using electric or hybrid vehicles.

What's the betting this will up and running before either Portway Parkway or Portishead ?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2020, 14:34:49 »

What's the betting this will up and running before either Portway Parkway or Portishead ?

You gave me an idea ... poll at http://www.passenger.chat/23856 . Just for fun.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 21:40:52 »

The annoying thing to me this is a Devon County Council (not Exeter where it is situated) proposal and can call on other funding that Torbay as a unitary authority cannot in regard to Edginswell.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 22:23:46 »

The annoying thing to me this is a Devon County Council (not Exeter where it is situated) proposal and can call on other funding that Torbay as a unitary authority cannot in regard to Edginswell.

I don't understand the issue here. 

Exeter is not a unitary and therefore is part of the area covered by Devon County Council.  Torbay is a Unitary and is therefore not part of the area covered by Devon County Council.

Torbay Council as a unitary local authority has the same access to government funds as Devon County Council.  What is the issue?
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 14:32:41 »

Exeter is not a unitary and therefore is part of the area covered by Devon County Council.  Torbay is a Unitary and is therefore not part of the area covered by Devon County Council.

Torbay Council as a unitary local authority has the same access to government funds as Devon County Council.  What is the issue?

This is what I was told on another site.

Devon County Council administrate transport infrastructure so the application will be applied by them rather than Exeter City Council. The same would have happened at Newcourt.

The scheme however is jointly funded by Devon County Council, Exeter City Council, Teignbridge District Council, East Devon District Council, and Mid Devon District Council. This is where being a unitary council is a handicap for Torbay (and Plymouth) as they can't call upon Devon County Council to give funding or request neighbouring council's under the Devon County Council umbrella to contribute to schemes.

And if that's right I am more annoyed because Torbay had to contribute a lot of money to the Kingskerswell By Pass which is wholly in Devon. Newton Abbot contributed a very small about and ensured there was only one lane in and out of Torbay while retaining all there access lanes at the roundabout.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 19:39:14 »

Devon County Council administrate transport infrastructure so the application will be applied by them rather than Exeter City Council. The same would have happened at Newcourt.

The scheme however is jointly funded by Devon County Council, Exeter City Council, Teignbridge District Council, East Devon District Council, and Mid Devon District Council. This is where being a unitary council is a handicap for Torbay (and Plymouth) as they can't call upon Devon County Council to give funding or request neighbouring council's under the Devon County Council umbrella to contribute to schemes.

And if that's right I am more annoyed because Torbay had to contribute a lot of money to the Kingskerswell By Pass which is wholly in Devon. Newton Abbot contributed a very small about and ensured there was only one lane in and out of Torbay while retaining all there access lanes at the roundabout.

Yes but Kingkerswell By Pass benefited Torbay since it improved access to Torbay (massively by road at least).  And Torbay gets both County and District funding (such as it is) from central government. They could still agree co-funding with Devon on other things. 

I am guessing that Devon have agreed with their district councils for a funding package for Devon Metro as a whole. 

The same issue arises in other areas where councils want to go it alone (North Somerset?) rather than join in with their neighbours (in that case as a combined authority). 
southwest
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2020, 00:20:23 »

This is what I was told on another site.

There is certainly more than one lane into and out of Torbay.   The only stupid idea was making the overpass at Penn Inn Roundabout one lane as often some don't follow the 50mph speed limit and drive up your backside!  Otherwise it works perfect fine, although it's very future proof limited (i.e not thinking much about its use in 10 or 20 years from now)
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2020, 10:14:06 »

It was reduced to one lane from two or it would not have got built. It only got built because there was a coalition government at the time and Adrian Saunders was the Torbay MP (Member of Parliament) (libdem). The lanes at ground level were kept exactly as before so you can get to Torbay at ground level hindered by the traffic lights. Torbay was conned into paying a lot of money for one lane. Devon was looking after Newton Abbot.
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2020, 20:54:50 »

Just checking past applications and Marsh Barton station validated on 27 July has still not been approved. More visualisations, in September on the planning portal with some alterations to original.

old

Marsh Barton Station by Robert, on Flickr

New

Marsh Barton sept 2020 by Robert, on Flickr
southwest
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2020, 21:36:14 »

Still the shelters won't be comfortable to sit in for your 30 minute wait, a Pagoda would be a better shelter  Grin. This station is very much needed and will provide good connections to those working in the area taking strain off Exeter's congested roads. I wonder if Stagecoach will set up a bus service from the station to further parts of Matford/Marsh Barton as parts are quite a distance from the proposed station.

One point to note: Whilst the idea is to get this station done on the cheap, would it not have been a good idea to have used this opportunity to make a second passing loop on the Newton Abbot to Exeter stretch?
REVUpminster

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2020, 11:05:34 »

https://www.devonlive.com/news/devon-news/marsh-barton-new-train-station-4782036

Plans approved with a view to open in December 2021.

The article also mentions Okehampton, Edginswell, Monkerton, and Cullompton.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: