Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:35 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:54:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where was Bmblbzz buzzing around on Sunday?  (Read 1951 times)
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: August 04, 2020, 14:51:11 »

I was bumbling around on my lean green machine when I found this not so lean, equally green, mean machine (note that neither could be described as clean Shocked).
Site identification should be easy but I'd be interested to know precisely what its function was and how long for?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 16:05:48 »

Is that a Shimano Biopace chainwheel..?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 16:41:48 »

It's not even Shimano, let alone Biopace. Nor is it any other version of elliptical chainwheel.

martyjon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 16:55:19 »

I was bumbling around on my lean green machine when I found this not so lean, equally green, mean machine (note that neither could be described as clean Shocked).
Site identification should be easy but I'd be interested to know precisely what its function was and how long for?

It is a fireless steam engine used to shunt the coal wagons around the generating site, recharged by the copious amounts available of steam at site but where foto taken I haven't the foggiest.
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2020, 17:23:59 »

At a guess Sharpness ish ?..
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2020, 17:24:16 »

That's interesting in itself. And fits with the location, I'd say.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 17:25:15 »

At a guess Sharpness ish ?..
Not just ish, it is Sharpness docks.  Smiley

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2020, 18:11:07 »

It is a fireless steam engine used to shunt the coal wagons around the generating site, recharged by the copious amounts available of steam at site but where foto taken I haven't the foggiest.

And long before hydrogen fuel cells it could boast, greenly, "nothing but water out of the exhaust".
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2020, 19:10:34 »

I had presumed it had been used at Berkeley nuclear power station, which is nearby, for shunting uranium flasks. Could it actually have been used at the docks for unloading/loading coal? But then why would it belong to CEGB? I'm not aware of any other power stations, current or former, around there. But then avoiding fire in the general vicinity of a reactor also seems a good idea, and there would certainly have been plenty of steam.

bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2020, 21:40:18 »

There is a photo in this site; scroll down the page
https://rogerfarnworth.com/2020/06/11/gloucester-docks-and-railways-part-3-over-junction-the-llanthony-branch-and-railways-to-the-west-side-of-the-docks/
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 23:10:12 »

Thank you, that's interesting. Lots of new stuff (to me) in that link. I've noticed the remains of the docks line on Alney Island but had no idea there had been a power station there. There is still a sub-station but maybe that's coincidental. Slightly disappointed to find this engine – assuming it's the same one – was not in fact a "nuclear powered steam engine" but nevertheless good to have details! Smiley

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2020, 00:51:41 »

Fireless locomotives are not as unusual as some might think - there was at least one on the Sittingbourne and Kemsely - I remember seeing it there in the early days of that in preservation (and it was surely preservation majoring on heritage in those days) though out of use, and there's one at Shildon too.  Anywhere that sparks from a fire would have been a danger, such as a paper mill with lots of inflammable dust around. 

The steam equivalent of the battery locomotive or bemu?  But there's another story.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
chuffed

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2020, 07:07:03 »

They could have done with one of these in Beirut yesterday.

Coinicides almost to the day to the 30th anniversary of the hottest day on record 38C in Cheltenham on Aug 3rd in 1990. That record was broken last year with 38.7 in Cambridge.

It was also the day when the Albright and Wilson liquid white  phosphorus plant in Portishead went up, caused by incorrect and careless  storage of an inflammable substance. The cloud of toxic gas and smoke was blown south westwards and despite only living a mile and a half away, I knew nothing about it,as my view of the cloud was obscured by the hill.

Totally oblivious, I turned on the telly to see people wearing face masks in Exeter!

I found this report on the event, in the Liverpool Echo no less !

In August 1990 one of the most spectacular health and safety failures occurred when many drums of white phosphorus went up in smoke, and certainly put Portishead on the map.

It was reported afterwards that the warehouse contained more than 30 tonnes of P4 in 166 drums, each holding 200kg. The explanation into the cause was that overnight one of the drums had caught fire spreading to the others. Over 100 firemen brought the blaze under control and it was clear that toxic white phosphorus vapour and breakdown products were given off over a 15 mile area, just as they would at Oldbury some 19 years later. It apparently also set off smoke detectors in guest houses in Weston Super Mare- perhaps a throwback to one of the dismissed claims against the new factory made many years earlier.

Unfortunately as they always did, Albright and Wilson were quick to try to downplay this incident, blaming the hot weather and putting some form of “Dunkirk spirit” in the fantastical b******* written in Albright World. They claimed that 167 drums were damaged or destroyed out of 366 held. A sandbag lake was created to attempt to contain the obvious major pollution, though what effect this had is unclear. The dock lowered by 30 inches due to the volume of water being used to fight the fire- but where did all of this heavily contaminated phossy water go back to?

Struck (no pun intended) by the parallels with what we were lucky to avoid in Portishead, and an early use of face masks !
« Last Edit: August 05, 2020, 10:16:32 by chuffed » Logged
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2020, 07:17:35 »

For obvious reasons they also tended to prefer fireless locomotives at Ordnance Factories.

On Beirut, there seems to be some lack of clarity as to how much Ammonium Nitrate there was, hundreds or thousands of tons? Fortunately more than was ever got together in Northern Ireland, where it was known as ANFO/
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2020, 08:42:33 »

Ammonium nitrate and diesel mixed together near the work site formed the most common explosive (Amflex) used on the South African gold mines. I can attest that the former is very comfortable to sit on when descending in a huge bucket down a newly sinking mine shaft.

You could always tell which of the houses on the mine estate was inhabited by a blasting ticket miner - his house would have the greenest lawn!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: