I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 23:35 28 Mar 2024
- Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 23:46:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Ives - longer trains for the summer starting early?  (Read 6364 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: June 29, 2020, 08:07:45 »

All day on St Ives ...

08:07 St Ives to St Erth due 08:19
Facilities on the 08:07 St Ives to St Erth due 08:19.
This is due to overcrowding.
Will be formed of 4 coaches instead of 2.

Some Weymouth services too ...

07:08 Worcester Shrub Hill to Weymouth due 11:00
Facilities on the 07:08 Worcester Shrub Hill to Weymouth due 11:00.
This is due to overcrowding.
Will be formed of 4 coaches instead of 3.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2020, 21:04:44 »

Does anyone know whether the loadings on the line have reduced sufficiently to feel comfortable travelling on it now? I fancy a lunch in a hotel there soon, but will hold off until a pleasant trip is assured. There's usually a drop immediately after the Bank Holiday, I wonder if that's happened yet.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 09:56:31 »

Does anyone know whether the loadings on the line have reduced sufficiently to feel comfortable travelling on it now? I fancy a lunch in a hotel there soon, but will hold off until a pleasant trip is assured. There's usually a drop immediately after the Bank Holiday, I wonder if that's happened yet.

Bus duplicate is booked until end of September as an alternative from St Erth

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 10:12:48 »

Bus duplicate is booked until end of September as an alternative from St Erth

I'd add that I can't imagine that there will be any move to reduce the trains back from four coaches to two any time soon.  Given this, I'd say if you aim for the front coach at St Erth and again the front coach when returning from St Ives, all should be fine.  Most people will be in the rear two coaches given, of course, that they are closest to the station entrance/exit.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 20:28:10 by RichardB » Logged
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 17:54:29 »

If the weather looks decent I'll do the trip on Wednesday and report back that night, thanks for guidance.
RailCornwall

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 19:27:39 »

As suggested above I have visited St. Ives this afternoon using the P&R (Park and Ride) as my startpoint after an unexpected personal issue earlier.

Observations....

1. Issues with some of the payment machines at St. Erth annoyed. The APCOA (Car parking company used at GWR (Great Western Railway) - controlled stations in the area) app steadfastly refusing to update card information on the go. Tickets for travel and CP issued by GWR staff stood below the ramp.
2. St. Erth Station - I'm perfectly reasonable imo but the marshalling staff continue to exhibit Jobsworth tendancies. I'm sorry if this annoys some but they really could do with some tact and persuasion skills. They're far too abrupt in my view and today was no different, they seem to want to be seen rather than melt into the crowd and only act if really necessary. Once again apologies but this irks. Roll on the winter and their disappearance. Not withstanding this reminders about face coverings seemed to work.
3. St. Erth - St. Ives - No issues reasonably spreadout in the 'St. Ives end unit' less so in the other one. Boarding however failed to recognise Social distancing at all. No revenue protection operation, assume that the wisdom was that the GWR staff had captured enough at St. Erth to make a trip through unnecessary.
4. St. Ives Station Arrival - Both entrances/exits in operation which was good, disembarking another challenge for Social Distancing, as was crowding towards the units by intending returning pax.
5. St. Ives Station Departure - Ticket check on entrance to station. As before both entrances available, which at this time of year from early afternoon is usually unheard of. This prompted a much more spreadout pattern of intending departing passengers. Much better behaviour with the unload and load operations people clearly exhibiting SDing.
6. St. Ives - St. Erth - Some barmy gathering of passengers around the doors leaving seats further into the carriages unfilled. Revenue Protection walkthrough after Carbis Bay. All Pax enquired of but without actual physical document/app check.
7. St. Erth Station Arrival -Disembarking sensibly done too, with much fewer pax at St. Erth travelling to St. Ives in the afternoon.

That sums it up.
Thatcham Crossing
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2020, 08:18:14 »

I was in St Ives for the first 2 weeks of August. I'm used to going there in holiday seasons and it being busy, but it was really busy.

Observing various webcams around the town over the last few days it appears to be nearly as busy as we approach mid-Sept, so not surprised the trains are still busy aswell.

A good thing for the town and the local economy  Smiley  (as long as people are sensible). When we were there most of the hospitality venues we visited were observing the rules and managing things well. The caravan site we use, especially well (which was one of the main reasons why we were happy to go).
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 15:04:13 »

West Dorset has had its busiest summer for years!
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2020, 18:43:48 »

Our place in North Devon has been booked solid since 4 July.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: