21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
Short Run
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 19:18:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[333] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[69] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[53] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[30] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[28] Signage - not making it easy ...
[6] IETs at Melksham

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Extinction Rebellion (XR) protests - August 2020  (Read 7713 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2020, 17:59:24 »

Ironically, that 1895 plaque with its praise of Colston is still in situ.

Indeed.  But its future now needs to be decided one way or the other.  It can't just be ignored.

The root problem of the Colston affair was a very few highly influential people put up barriers to lawful solution.  Now it is down I notice one of these organisations has apologised for these actions.  Our leaders need to get out there and listen to what other people think rather than just the people they know.  The people I know all think like me so everyone must think that is a very dangerous assumption. 

The arguments that we can't rewrite history don't wash if the so called history is in fact a lie - and one that oppresses a minority.  Slavery happened and Bristol merchants like Colston made a huge amount of money on the back of the suffering of black people.  That is history we can't change that.  What we can change is a plaque that was erected many years after his death that tells a lie for political reasons (at the time). 

Getting back to XR (Crossrail). There is an injustice coming in that millions of people are going to be killed or forced out of the place they live in because of sea level rise and flooding; many more millions will starve  as crops fail.  And some of us are worried that we will not be able to fly somewhere nice for a holiday and we might have to change our lifestyle to mitigate this.  An injustice is brewing and our leaders (many of whom will be dead before the worst comes) ignore it or pay it lip service.  A generation who will have to live through those consequences much more than us have pointed out the injustice and want action and influential people are too worried that our fossil fuel investments might lose value or wind turbines might ruin the view they have from their country mansion, or they might have to travel on a train rather than their gas guzzling luxury car.  The super rich are still building luxury yachts and buying into a future of space tourism.  They don't care, so people have no other way to express their views.

Covid has made many of us (employees and employers alike) seriously consider that the sometimes long daily commute, which no matter how we do it is part of an unsustainable way of living, is not necessary and that there may be another way. This will disrupt our economy just as, a few years ago, the start of commuting has took the heart out of many of the local economies of the places we commute from.  Yet our leaders want everyone back to their commute to preserve this unsustainable economy.

The longer our leaders ignore peaceful protests against real injustices, the more likely we are to get violent ones.       
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2020, 20:41:03 »

I wandered down to Prince Street Bridge today to see what was going on. Not a lot, really. It was pretty much like any Saturday on Wapping Wharf, with people milling around, eating and buying, except everyone was crossing the bridge on foot, bike or electric monowheel. There were a couple of XR (Crossrail) people visible, chiefly a man singing really bad (my opinion, I'm sure some people liked it) folk music. I wanted to ask someone, but didn't get a chance, if they were hoping Kye Dudd would follow this weekend up in a year or so by closing the bridge.

But I did get a chance to look around the Matthew.  Smiley

The longer our leaders ignore peaceful protests against real injustices, the more likely we are to get violent ones.       
We're arguably already getting it but it's not, and probably won't be, from the XR crowd. It's in Africa, the Middle East, India and other parts of the world where the line between famine and feast is thinner and frailer.

Edited to sort out the missing quote.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 17:19:35 by Bmblbzzz » Logged

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2020, 20:52:42 »

Getting back to XR (Crossrail). There is an injustice coming in that millions of people are going to be killed or forced out of the place they live in because of sea level rise and flooding; many more millions will starve  as crops fail.  And some of us are worried that we will not be able to fly somewhere nice for a holiday and we might have to change our lifestyle to mitigate this.  An injustice is brewing and our leaders (many of whom will be dead before the worst comes) ignore it or pay it lip service.  A generation who will have to live through those consequences much more than us have pointed out the injustice and want action and influential people are too worried that our fossil fuel investments might lose value or wind turbines might ruin the view they have from their country mansion, or they might have to travel on a train rather than their gas guzzling luxury car.  The super rich are still building luxury yachts and buying into a future of space tourism.  They don't care, so people have no other way to express their views.

Covid has made many of us (employees and employers alike) seriously consider that the sometimes long daily commute, which no matter how we do it is part of an unsustainable way of living, is not necessary and that there may be another way. This will disrupt our economy just as, a few years ago, the start of commuting has took the heart out of many of the local economies of the places we commute from.  Yet our leaders want everyone back to their commute to preserve this unsustainable economy.

I agree.
The loss of life and destruction of property due to climate change has started, and will get a great deal worse, without drastic cuts in carbon emissions.
If we are serious about climate change, we need to fly, and drive a lot less, and use a LOT less fossil fuel for other purposes.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2020, 16:23:56 »

August is now over, and nothing much happened.
There were some protests but all very low key if compared to previous XR (Crossrail) protests.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2020, 19:51:09 »

August is now over, and nothing much happened.
There were some protests but all very low key if compared to previous XR (Crossrail) protests.

Although the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) are reporting within the last few minutes at https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-53987662
Arrests as Extinction Rebellion protests begin across England

At least 90 people have been arrested at climate change protests causing disruption across England.
and
Extinction Rebellion said it planned to "peacefully disrupt the UK (United Kingdom) Parliament in London" with 10 days of demonstrations until MPs (Member of Parliament) backed the Climate and Ecological Emergency Bill.

So sounds as though it's only just starting.  Undecided
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2020, 07:38:18 »

They've certainly captured the national mood when it comes to HS2 (The next High Speed line(s))Smiley

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/hs2/hs2-sites-targeted-by-extinction-rebellion-protests-01-09-2020/
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2020, 08:30:35 »

They've certainly captured the national mood when it comes to HS2 (The next High Speed line(s))Smiley

https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/hs2/hs2-sites-targeted-by-extinction-rebellion-protests-01-09-2020/

The national mood. How do we know what the national mood is?  I know what I think, and what the people I know think, and I will of course assume that as the national mood, but I have been very wrong in this assumption on different issues many times before. So do we have any objective evidence as to what the national mood is on this issue? 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2020, 08:50:41 »

The national mood. How do we know what the national mood is?  I know what I think, and what the people I know think, and I will of course assume that as the national mood, but I have been very wrong in this assumption on different issues many times before. So do we have any objective evidence as to what the national mood is on this issue? 

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/politics/survey-results/daily/2020/05/18/31266/2

https://www.theengineer.co.uk/poll-post-election-future-hs2/

Hope that helps. Not difficult to find similar.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 09:03:52 by TaplowGreen » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2020, 09:27:53 »

O brave new world, that has such people in ‘t!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2020, 10:43:36 »

Fine, we just need to evidence such statements about the national mood.

I still think the national mood as evidenced by this and XR (Crossrail) are wrong on this one. If we are to decarbonise the economy and reduce air pollution we need to reduce domestic air travel and car travel and provide capacity for more freight on the classic rail lines to the midlands and the north that will be made available by HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)). We will also need more capacity elsewhere, but that is another matter.

Even if Covid reduces the demand for people to move around as much it will not go away and the need for freight transport will not diminish. Local delivery vans can be made electric but I see no carbon free long distance HGV soon. 

If we were to have a proper informed debate about HS2 the capacity need for it and the fact that the money to pay for it cannot be just converted into revenue expenditure then I think the national mood might change. 
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2020, 11:01:28 »

If we were to have a proper informed debate about HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) the capacity need for it and the fact that the money to pay for it cannot be just converted into revenue expenditure then I think the national mood might change. 

Informed debate?  Crickey, that's asking a bit much! Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2020, 11:40:01 »

Fine, we just need to evidence such statements about the national mood.

I still think the national mood as evidenced by this and XR (Crossrail) are wrong on this one. If we are to decarbonise the economy and reduce air pollution we need to reduce domestic air travel and car travel and provide capacity for more freight on the classic rail lines to the midlands and the north that will be made available by HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)). We will also need more capacity elsewhere, but that is another matter.

Even if Covid reduces the demand for people to move around as much it will not go away and the need for freight transport will not diminish. Local delivery vans can be made electric but I see no carbon free long distance HGV soon. 

If we were to have a proper informed debate about HS2 the capacity need for it and the fact that the money to pay for it cannot be just converted into revenue expenditure then I think the national mood might change. 

I very largely agree. There is considerable opposition to HS2, much of it very ill informed.
Whilst I have considerable sympathy with XR, they are not in my experience very well informed. Many XR supporters are opposed to HS2 on the grounds that it will be a very expensive way "of allowing a few rich business people to travel a bit faster" whilst completely missing the very valid points about increased capacity for low carbon transport of both passengers and freight.

And yes, as above, LOCAL transport of goods is achievable by electric road vehicles, or even by horses in rural areas, but an electric HGV seems unlikely.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2020, 11:47:22 »

I'm mildly surprised at the arrests. There doesn't seem to have been any trouble in Bristol last weekend.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2020, 13:23:09 »

If we were to have a proper informed debate about HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) the capacity need for it and the fact that the money to pay for it cannot be just converted into revenue expenditure then I think the national mood might change. 

Informed debate?  Crickey, that's asking a bit much! Wink

.....especially when so much of the information is withheld.

https://www.ft.com/content/d8165ec0-1d61-4208-95ad-bb5c9b212407
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2020, 13:29:29 »

Can't read that as it's behind a paywall.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: