Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
18th Apr (2018)
SEWWEB leaflet launched and Aztec West (link)

Train RunningCancelled
14:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
14:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
16:12 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
16:58 London Paddington to Great Malvern
17:04 Didcot Parkway to Moreton-In-Marsh
17:05 Oxford to Didcot Parkway
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
18:43 Bristol Temple Meads to Westbury
18:51 Evesham to Oxford
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:14 Bristol Temple Meads to Avonmouth
19:46 Avonmouth to Bristol Temple Meads
20:50 Bristol Temple Meads to Weymouth
22:24 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
23:08 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:33 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 04:45 Redhill to Gatwick Airport
19/04/24 05:11 Gatwick Airport to Reading
Short Run
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
Additional 15:20 Bristol Parkway to Weymouth
15:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
16:39 Bristol Temple Meads to Worcester Foregate Street
16:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
18:53 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
13:23 Swansea to London Paddington
13:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
13:52 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
14:02 Westbury to Gloucester
14:48 London Paddington to Swansea
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 18, 2024, 15:39:07 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[109] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[60] Signage - not making it easy ...
[29] IETs at Melksham
[27] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[25] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[23] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Landslips - more common now, or have we just noticed?  (Read 1333 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: August 28, 2020, 16:57:20 »

I've been looking to start a general thread about landslips ... are we seeing more of them, or just hearing more about them? Have we just noticed something that's always been there with the aeful accident in Scotland? I did a search for landslip on the forum ...

Matched 326 posts in 122 threads

And came across another landslip - this time on a well known road - at BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Scotland

The A83 runs for almost 100 miles from Loch Lomond to Campbeltown, at the foot of the Kintyre peninsula. But there is one section, near the Rest and Be Thankful, which has become infamous for landslips, closures and long diversions.

James MacDonald and his family watched in horror as 30,000 tonnes of rock and mud churned its way down the side of the mountain towards them.

He later described the landslide as "boiling with gyrations and spurts of water" and the noise of an "indescribable roar - the roar of a mountain in torment".

The road near Arrochar became impassable as the debris hurtled down, and flooded the Glen Croe valley below.

But this landslide is not the one that has closed the mountain road for the last three weeks; nor was it then known as the A83.

MacDonald's testimony is from 1913.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 08:41:17 »

I've been looking to start a general thread about landslips ... are we seeing more of them, or just hearing more about them? Have we just noticed something that's always been there with the aeful accident in Scotland? I did a search for landslip on the forum ...

Matched 326 posts in 122 threads

And came across another landslip - this time on a well known road - at BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) Scotland

The A83 runs for almost 100 miles from Loch Lomond to Campbeltown, at the foot of the Kintyre peninsula. But there is one section, near the Rest and Be Thankful, which has become infamous for landslips, closures and long diversions.

James MacDonald and his family watched in horror as 30,000 tonnes of rock and mud churned its way down the side of the mountain towards them.

He later described the landslide as "boiling with gyrations and spurts of water" and the noise of an "indescribable roar - the roar of a mountain in torment".

The road near Arrochar became impassable as the debris hurtled down, and flooded the Glen Croe valley below.

But this landslide is not the one that has closed the mountain road for the last three weeks; nor was it then known as the A83.

MacDonald's testimony is from 1913.

The NR» (Network Rail - home page) Route / Regional Geotech asset managers have had significant funding through CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019) and in CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024) for drainage and earthworks stabilisation and the one no one likes de-vegetation

Drainage clearance and maintenance has been increased, but where there has been a collapse access to excavate to repair / replace can be challenging.  Major earthworks are expensive and have a long lead time for design and in some cases a 2 week blockade is needed these have to be planned years in advanced.

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 11:56:34 »

What you want is statistics! NR» (Network Rail - home page) must have loads of historical numbers, of landslips (by type), of which those blocking the track, of which those causing derailment, of which those causing injury or death. I can't find that, but NR's site has a report for 2018 on "Earthworks Technical Strategy". That's a plan - but not as woolly as most; it would be worth looking at for technical content, and in particular for its coverage of current and future monitoring systems. It has few data that I can see, but does list earthwork failures by CP and severity, from which "potentiall high consequence earthwork failures" and "earthwork attributable derailments":

PHCEF   EAD
CP1:  n/a       7
CP2:  n/a       8
CP3:  41        8
CP4 (Control Period 4 - the five year period between 2009 and 2014):  32        8
CP5 (Control Period 5 - the five year period between 2014 and 2019):  18        2   (4 years only)

I tried looking wider, for RSSB (Rail Safety and Standards Board) research, but finding anything in Spark (the RSSB library) has got even more difficult since they "improved" its web design. I did find one RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) special report from 2008 into "Network Rail’s Management of Existing Earthworks", with a short section about trends.This had very limited data (for 2003-2008), and reading numbers by eye off their graph gives the following counts for "earthwork failures" (a much bigger category than just landslips). These are also broken down by type, again only for that short period, and I've picked out the biggest category - "cutting slip" and added that:
         all falures  c/slip
2003/4:  45          n/a
2004/5:  55          22
2005/6:  39          14
2006/7:  88          34
2007/8:  107        36

This is part of the same section:
58 In the period covered by this data, train derailments attributed to earthwork failure were:
 1 in 2003/4 – rock fall;
 1 in 2004/5 – embankment slip;
 2 in 2005/6 – 1 cutting slip and 1 cutting washout;
 3 in 2006/7 – 1 cutting washout and 2 cutting slips; and
 0 in 2007/8.

59 The last fatality related to an earthwork failure was in 1995, when a derailment occurred on the Settle and Carlisle line and a member of the traincrew died in a subsequent collision with another train. Her Majesty’s Railway Inspectorate (HMRI (Her Majesty's Railway Inspectorate)), at that time part of the Health & Safety Executive, published a report into the accident in October 1997, which recorded the actions taken, none of which were related to infrastructure or earthworks, and made no further recommendations. It has proved difficult to establish the previous attributable fatality, but it was a considerable time ago, and may have been before 1940.

Sadly that record now reads quite differently - though it's not something where a "trend" would be meaningful.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 06:38:16 »

Many thanks for researching this one.

I would agree that the figures for deaths are frankly far too small to show a trend, and thank goodness they are. We are not in a pattern such as before block signalling 170 years ago, pre-continuous-brakes 150 years ago, or gas lit carriages which must be 100 years ago.

Climate change and more extreme weather may be increasing risk (like it may be increasing other elements such as line side vegetation growth) but it's being monitored and managed (?) - both to reduce failures, and to trap failures before they have catastrophic consequences. Whether initial build / rebuild needs to be to a more robust standard is also a consideration; what standards and allowances for a more extreme climate are being made on HS2 (The next High Speed line(s))?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 09:08:40 »

Whether initial build / rebuild needs to be to a more robust standard is also a consideration; what standards and allowances for a more extreme climate are being made on HS2 (The next High Speed line(s))?

From my experience (and that as an electrification engineer  Grin  ) of bring into service a new piece of infrastructure the climate impacts are run as models in software, if i recall correctly, a storm severity of a once in 50 year, once in 100 years events, and I believe they can run longer. 

These models form part of an overall risk assessment for all of the assets about operational recovery and systems damage limitation as the result of a once in 50 and 100 year events, and not about running trains during the event although this all feeds into the operational guidance of the assets.

Railway engineering has move a long way since our Victorian forebears built the majority of the current railway infrastructure

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 11:30:52 »

Relatively minor damage with running sand, chalk, soil and vegetation etc adjacent to tunnel portals, which luckily didn’t cause major accidents.  I can think of at least four from recent memory.  Obviously Wallers Ash last week, Guildford Sand tunnel was a couple of years ago, Gillingham Tunnel was a few years ago. 

At Watford tunnel we had a couple of 350s side swipe at a fair speed, it could have been far worse.

Although I’m no expert, there does seem to be a noticeable danger area at many tunnel portals, just where the cutting sides on the approaches are getting more and more vertical, you’ll see quite a few, like at Wallers Ash, already have concrete and steel “fences” in place to catch run off around the portal area.  I wonder if those safety structures will have to be made systematically bigger and stronger, and even longer?  That way any slips could be diverted alongside rather than across the tracks.

(Some years ago I saw a very similar failure mode at Braunston Tunnel on the Grand Union canal, a mainly sand embankment slipped immediately outside the west portal.  Not quite the same hazard to a canal boat, but it had half blocked the canal overnight.)

Noting the above point about Victorian forebears, I suspect the first railway tunnel portal designs closely followed the canal builder’s methods?

Paul
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 21:40:46 »

Relatively minor damage with running sand, chalk, soil and vegetation etc adjacent to tunnel portals, which luckily didn’t cause major accidents.  I can think of at least four from recent memory.  Obviously Wallers Ash last week, Guildford Sand tunnel was a couple of years ago, Gillingham Tunnel was a few years ago. 

That was in December 2019, 8 months ago .
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 22:54:04 »

That was in December 2019, 8 months ago .

Thanks.  Seems longer for some reason...
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 09:19:09 »

Meanwhile on the roads it is not so easy to solve the problems https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-53922077
and in some cases you have to admit defeat https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A625_road#Mam_Tor_road
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2020, 09:30:01 »

I remember cycling the Mam Tor road when I was much younger, as it was closed to road traffic but you could still cycle along it.  Though I can’t remember whether you were supposed to or not!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: