27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 23:47:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Normal' Service Levels  (Read 4792 times)
RailCornwall

View Profile
« on: August 29, 2020, 16:21:02 »

Since March we've seen operations severely cut back and then gradually added to. Broadcasters continue to say 'Operating to a reduced timetable', I consider myself to be an informed observer and find this term somewhat annoying, surely it should be 'Operating to changed timetables'.

I'm not aware that the Summer 2020 timetable ever got 'published' to the public in any form to be reduced from. Not withstanding this oddity can the professionals and more informed, than me observers, give some idea as to what level of timetable is in their opinion operating currently.

Looking from Cornwall the service pattern looks 'almost there' albeit with some changing at Plymouth to head to of from the east.

Thoughts?

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 16:44:45 »

It varies quite wildly across the network and indeed across GWR (Great Western Railway).  Tackley and Heyford still have only two trains a day each way for example, less than 20% of the normal service.  Oxford<>Didcot only at around 50% normal.  Cornwall (where there is more tourist demand) much more like a normal service, along with the Thames Valley branches.

Incidentally, today seems to be almost as busy as a normal Bank Holiday weekend Saturday on many routes.  Confidence in public transport is definitely returning.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 20:31:44 »

It varies quite wildly across the network and indeed across GWR (Great Western Railway).  Tackley and Heyford still have only two trains a day each way for example, less than 20% of the normal service.  Oxford<>Didcot only at around 50% normal.  Cornwall (where there is more tourist demand) much more like a normal service, along with the Thames Valley branches.

Incidentally, today seems to be almost as busy as a normal Bank Holiday weekend Saturday on many routes.  Confidence in public transport is definitely returning.

My trains are currently running once an hour (was half hourly). Going to work, passenger numbers seem to have stayed steady over the last few weeks. However the return journey seems to be getting busier, I'm starting to see people standing by the doors to avoid having to sit next to someone. My worry is that eventually someone will decide to sit next to me.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2020, 08:21:09 »

It's less a matter of confidence, more one of desire/necessity to use it that will dictate the future of the railway in the post COVID-19 World.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 10:36:43 »

It's less a matter of confidence, more one of desire/necessity to use it that will dictate the future of the railway in the post COVID-19 World.

Well, whatever it is, it was leading to a surge of returning leisure passengers yesterday.  Great to see after months of surreality.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 10:43:15 »

Well, whatever it is, it was leading to a surge of returning leisure passengers yesterday.  Great to see after months of surreality.

Great - as long as it's a safe, socially distanced surge!  Smiley
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2020, 23:18:18 »

This thread seems as good a place as anywhere to see if someone can help. A friend of mine is considering moving to Malvern but is concerned at the scarcity of direct services and the long waits on the indirect ones to Bristol (which is quite important to him and his wife). I've already mentioned that the Covid crisis would have had an impact on services but I wondering when these might return to something like normal and just how frequent direct services between Bristol and Malvern were, pre Covid?
Wizard

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2020, 07:08:44 »

They were 1 train per 2 hours pre-covid, although there was at least an aspiration to increase it to hourly. There will be a few more direct trains returning next week and the week after.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2020, 08:23:23 »

Looking forward to next Monday (7th September 2020)!

We, at Pinhoe (and all stations between Exeter Central and Honiton), had to put up with an hourly replacement bus service until July. It was then replaced by a two-hourly train service that was of absolutely no use to workers who finished between 4.30pm and 6.30pm.

Finally, we are getting our [almost] 'proper' hourly service back. The only omissions being the two rush hour local Exeter to Honiton/Axminster services, which are not really required as things currently stand.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2020, 10:44:41 »

They were 1 train per 2 hours pre-covid, although there was at least an aspiration to increase it to hourly. There will be a few more direct trains returning next week and the week after.

Thank you Wizard, I've passed this on.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2020, 11:40:18 »

Direct trains, Great Malvern to Bristol are perhaps an interesting case of a series of services being initially joined up for operational purposes with limited through traffic - I seem to recall that the Central and the Wessex franchises were run by the same parent company, and timetables allowed the train from Cheltenham Spa to be extended to provide extras from Worcester to Malvern than the one from Birmingham. Saved a train / avoided the FGW (First Great Western) train sitting in Worcester for a long time, and allowed a quick turn around at Malvern rather than terminating a train there with a longer layover, an no-where for it to lay over.  And with such a background (if I got that right), I am left wondering if through patterns could change in the future with relatively little consultation / consideration;  I'm not sure how many passengers there are through from Great Malvern or Malvern Link to Ashchurch and south thereof.  OK - just asking the question ... 

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2020, 12:19:10 »

Direct trains, Great Malvern to Bristol are perhaps an interesting case of a series of services being initially joined up for operational purposes with limited through traffic - I seem to recall that the Central and the Wessex franchises were run by the same parent company, and timetables allowed the train from Cheltenham Spa to be extended to provide extras from Worcester to Malvern than the one from Birmingham. Saved a train / avoided the FGW (First Great Western) train sitting in Worcester for a long time, and allowed a quick turn around at Malvern rather than terminating a train there with a longer layover, an no-where for it to lay over.  And with such a background (if I got that right), I am left wondering if through patterns could change in the future with relatively little consultation / consideration;  I'm not sure how many passengers there are through from Great Malvern or Malvern Link to Ashchurch and south thereof.  OK - just asking the question ... 

I do remember that the Great Malvern section was originally going to be chopped back in the dark days of the Draft Greater Western December 2006 Timetable. Enough people kicked up a stink back then to get it put back in, so definitely consultation and caution required for any future changes, especially given the feathers recently ruffled in Malvern by West Midland Railway Covid bustitution.

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
TonyN
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2020, 15:22:00 »

This is another case of a journey where there would be much better options if Cross country stopped its Voyager services at Worcestershire parkway. For most of the day Great Malvern to Bristol and return could be done with just one change at Parkway and no messing about at Gloucester.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2020, 16:47:33 »

This is another case of a journey where there would be much better options if Cross country stopped its Voyager services at Worcestershire parkway. For most of the day Great Malvern to Bristol and return could be done with just one change at Parkway and no messing about at Gloucester.

I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised at how many people are using Worcestershire Parkway to interchange at (and using it in general).  Difficult to gauge how popular it is going to be, because it didn't have chance to get established and the virus alterations struck, but it looks promising.  Perhaps enough to persuade those that make the decisions to stop one of the two longer distance XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) services that pass through?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2020, 19:01:48 »

Questions ... "What is the purpose of the Cross Country Franchise?" and "Who wants to travel long distance on a train that calls at all stations from Liverpool to Norwich except Shippea Hill?" and "Was Worcestershire Parkway paid for locally, so the prime benefit should be provided for residents and businesses in the area?" and "If you're retiming trains to connect at Worcsectershire Parkway, which direction connects with what, and what else do you disturb?" and "Are we worried about delays on one line resulting in missed connections and lots of compensation payments across to the other line?"

I'm not going to pretend to provide definite answers, but there you have some of the puzzle pieces when you work out what to stop when.   There are some very exciting journey / flow opportunities, but no way can they all be catered for.    How does Evesham to Birmingham compare with Evesham to Gloucester?  Can you make Worcester to Bristol work with just one change and using fast trains?    If it connects on the "outbound" journey is that any use if the rerun journey involves a l-o-n-g wait?   Are you going to provide Bromsgrove to Cheltenham Spa every hour? ....

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: