Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
06:57 Swansea to London Paddington
07:43 Swansea to London Paddington
08:18 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
08:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
09:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
06:38 Weymouth to Gloucester
06:54 Taunton to London Paddington
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
08:38 London Paddington to Westbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:33 Plymouth to London Paddington
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 09:13 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 09:40:37 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[146] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[117] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[80] Return of the BRUTE?
[63] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[49] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[27] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Network Rail decarbonisation policy  (Read 7516 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 05:37:38 »

However see attached image from this month?s Railway Magazine!

I think only Melksham has been achieved - we need more Grahames!

I also see that Railway Magazine's sub editor is more familiar with the works of Noel Coward than the towns of the Northumberland coast........

But I though Melksham Station reopened in 1985.  That article was in 2000 before the services were cut in 2006?

You are correct ... reopened in 1985; a couple of shortlived experiments, but in 2000 the service was very slim indeed.  Wessex Trains brought in extras - up to 5 each way per day in 2001 but the Greater Western franchise adding in Thames Trains and Wessex Trains areas into the First Great Western reduced that - SRA» (Strategic Rail Authority - about) / DfT» (Department for Transport - about) at that point only called for a much reduced service from that level, as it did on many other lines.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Western Pathfinder
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2020, 13:30:51 »

This just released from NR» (Network Rail - home page)
https://www.networkrail.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/New-parkway-stations-guidance.pdf.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2021, 12:32:25 »

From the Transport Committee

Transport Committee: To hit its own decarbonisation deadline, Government must set out clear strategy for rail network

A 30 year rolling programme of electrification should be set out

As a matter of priority, the Government should publish a long-term strategy that sets out its vision for electrification and for the use of battery and hydrogen technology that is underpinned by appropriate costings, a credible delivery plan and enabling targets and milestones.

As part of its strategy, the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) should commit to a 30-year rolling programme of electrification projects. If the Government is to meet the legally binding target of net zero carbon emissions by 2050, and a former Minister’s pledge to remove all diesel trains from tracks by 2040, the current Government must take the first steps and start the electrification programme as soon as possible rather than waiting for the start of the next control period in 2024.

Full report (as a series of .html pages not a single .pdf document!) via https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm5801/cmselect/cmtrans/876/87602.htm

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2021, 15:36:02 »

Full report (as a series of .html pages not a single .pdf document!) via https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm5801/cmselect/cmtrans/876/87602.htm

... and the PDF here.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2021, 00:02:54 »

From the Transport Committee

Transport Committee: To hit its own decarbonisation deadline, Government must set out clear strategy for rail network

A 30 year rolling programme of electrification should be set out

A 30 year rolling programme would see through six governments, as a minimum. The previous Theresa May government (I think it was her's) set out plans to stop building fossil fuel cars more quickly than that, and the current regime is abolishing gas boilers in new houses almost tomorrow. The electric car commitment isn't backed up by increased generation of electricity, and it remains to be seen how that time-scale will look in a few years' time. I would have thought that a plan to electrify the two thirds of the railway that doesn't have wires right now within 30 years was far more achievable, notwithstanding the Great Western debacle. It would tick a box, and give successive governments a clear target. And if it is announced, but not met, I'm sure a scapegoat can be found.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 10:28:45 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2022, 12:55:21 »

No doubt this could go on several threads, but here looks a good start. A public-spirited soul - JacobWrenn on railforums - has used FoI to get a copy of Network Rail's "Southern Region Decarbonisation Strategy" (dated August 2022). He's made it available to read on line here, but you can download the PDF from there too.

It contains loads of gems about the North Downs Line, Reading-Basingstoke, and the WoEL. Here's a comedy item to start with - a "Key Fact" about the North Downs Line:
Rolling stock (Dec-19):
* GWR (Great Western Railway): Class 16X with phased introduction of Class 769s underway.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2022, 14:41:43 »

No doubt this could go on several threads, but here looks a good start. A public-spirited soul - JacobWrenn on railforums - has used FoI to get a copy of Network Rail's "Southern Region Decarbonisation Strategy" (dated August 2022). He's made it available to read on line here, but you can download the PDF from there too.

I have echoed it here on our mirror too.   Sadly the document is locked so it's not searchable.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2022, 15:55:16 »

I have echoed it here on our mirror too.   Sadly the document is locked so it's not searchable.

I'm not sure about locked - it claims content copying is allowed, but I got that to work on the phoito credits and on nothing else. I presume that the content was prepared as images and there is no text embedded at all, hence nothing to copy or search.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2022, 17:21:39 »

I'm not sure about locked - it claims content copying is allowed, but I got that to work on the phoito credits and on nothing else. I presume that the content was prepared as images and there is no text embedded at all, hence nothing to copy or search.

I have got some text out with screen captures and OCR software ... how sad am I?

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2022, 19:15:06 »

I have got some text out with screen captures and OCR software ... how sad am I?

I can't work out if it's a proper report in the format of a presentation, or a presentation, or meant to serve as both. But it's only got pictures, short summaries, and lists of things, so I was thinking it would be easier to just retype anything useful. But feel free to save me the effort ...
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2022, 19:21:44 »

Here's a point is about Reading-Basingstoke. When this came up before, it was worth doing mainly as part of the "electric spine", so continuing the 25 kV AC to Southampton. At that time the WoE was not proposed for electrification at all.

Now, the relevant maps show WoE electrified in all their three options, and it's a question of what else to do if the wires get down to Basingstoke. That could be (1) nothing, leave the triangle of lines as DC (Direct Current), (2) convert Basingstoke-Salisbury-Southampton to 25 kV but not Basinstoke-Southampton, or (3) convert all three.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2022, 19:26:34 »

Although outside our main area of interest, I see that after all the debate in recent years they are seemingly sticking with 3rd rail to Uckfield.

Paul
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2022, 19:34:38 »

Although outside our main area of interest, I see that after all the debate in recent years they are seemingly sticking with 3rd rail to Uckfield.

Paul

Yes, in one of their references to the SOBC they say "AC electrification found to be grossly disproportionate in cost compared to the safety benefits gained..." Is this the start of a campaign by NR» (Network Rail - home page)?

The SOBC is the Strategic Outline business Case; AIUI (as I understand it) it's the official begging letter from NR to DfT» (Department for Transport - about) to please put some money into their end of the pipeline.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2022, 19:49:26 »

Paul

Yes, in one of their references to the SOBC they say "AC electrification found to be grossly disproportionate in cost compared to the safety benefits gained..." Is this the start of a campaign by NR» (Network Rail - home page)?

The SOBC is the Strategic Outline business Case; AIUI (as I understand it) it's the official begging letter from NR to DfT» (Department for Transport - about) to please put some money into their end of the pipeline.

I’ve always thought with the Uckfield branch being right in the middle of the wider “Southern Region” the safety aspects are exaggerated. I suggest a lot of normal members of the public will just assume everywhere in the area is third rail already…
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2022, 23:09:26 »

I’ve always thought with the Uckfield branch being right in the middle of the wider “Southern Region” the safety aspects are exaggerated. I suggest a lot of normal members of the public will just assume everywhere in the area is third rail already…

Agreed, and in fact the same comment could be made about infilling the North Downs with third rail too. Overall, the increased safety risk for such modest schemes must be immaterial in the light of the current extensive third rail network on the old Southern Region.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: