I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 22:15 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:25:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Moving servers ...  (Read 13735 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 12, 2020, 01:29:16 »

Closing post, old server ... back in an hour or two

Edit on new server ... and we're back.  Members should find virtually no difference but are advised to take local copies of new material they post in case we have teething problems / issues under severe load over the next day or two.

The main (Simple Machines) software is still to be updated and that will be much more visible to members, but we are now running on a modern cloud server that will support it.

Further edit ... I will log know outstanding bugs here ... a number of issues that came up overnight already fixed and there may be others

1. If you like a post then unlike it, the "unlike" gives you a blank window back (the "unlike" works - just a display error)
Intricate to debug / not a big problem - will be left until system is much more settled due to danger of replacing one bug by a bigger one!

2. Certain quote characters in posts made before the forum moved are being displayed damaged, and cannot be used in new posts either. - edit FIXED Jan 2021
Error message when you try and post them is a bit frightening; advice therein impractical for us.

3.  [17.9] The notification for PMs still has the large white space where the text should be.   Seems to be only with replies to PMs.  An original one *does* have the text in the email.
On my bus list for next upgrade
« Last Edit: February 01, 2021, 15:43:43 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2020, 01:52:57 »

Closing post, old server ... back in an hour or two

And back up on the new server if you have found this message!

TESTING ... if you are posting anything of substance, please keep a local copy of what you say!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 02:40:57 »

One thing I've noticed is that I had to log in again - despite having selected 'forever' in the past. Also my forum 'style' of choice - chocolate and cream - isn't sticking. It's defaulting to the light blue scheme, even after I select style '3'.

No problems viewing content though.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 02:58:28 »

One thing I've noticed is that I had to log in again - despite having selected 'forever' in the past. Also my forum 'style' of choice - chocolate and cream - isn't sticking. It's defaulting to the light blue scheme, even after I select style '3'.

No problems viewing content though.

The software was ready to go on the new server, and I'd had to change a couple of settings for it to not interfere with the old server over the last few days.  One of those server had not been switched back, and I think that was the source of your issues.  Please retest, though - I've done a very great deal of trying things out, but may have missed some things.

I am also in the process of doing some database adjustments / tuning and early indications are that it might lead to a few "server busy" messages - may I re-iterate "please keep copies of what you write" .... copy and past to a temporary window while you post is a good idea.  Hope I can remove that "advisory" later today.

GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2020, 06:54:00 »

I've noticed several recent posts where the ' has been corrupted to form a totally different character

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2020, 07:45:24 »

I've noticed several recent posts where the ' has been corrupted to form a totally different character

Ah yes - I note an example here, for example.  Could be an interesting one remembering how we had to fight with character sets in the past.  Not a general thing on all data - otherwise image such as my avatar, the new server "click for details" flags at the top right and all the other images I have posted - all of which are held in MySQL - would be corrupted.

Agreed.  Shameful.

Regarding your earlier point about experienced staff not making mistakes, similar incidents on the railway (involving the non-technical skills I mentioned earlier) indicate ‘experience’ makes little difference - indeed it can lead to complacency.  That’s why Red Squirrels post was spot on.

PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2020, 07:49:13 »

Is there a corruption of the pound character in one of BNM's latest posts (see attached) or is this long standing?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2020, 08:32:17 »

There looks to be an issue with certain characters ... the old posts appear to be correct in the database (so I am not panicked) but I can't make a new post using them ... so irritating today and probably a tricky one to sort.     The error message if anyone tries to post these characters talks about versions and upgrades but the solution is far from as simple as following their instructions due to the law of mammoth unintended consequences.

Update ... utf8 v utf8mb4 ... I need to experiment in a way that will break things and need me to restore tables from backup - will require a forum outage so I will look to that overnight (and may not be tonight as I have day stuff to do and need sleep)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 09:05:30 by grahame » Logged

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2020, 12:56:37 »

The server's PHP software was not configured to send out emails ... I have just noticed and fixed that but members will have missed any notifications sent in the past 10 hours.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 05:17:33 »

Update ... utf8 v utf8mb4 ... I need to experiment in a way that will break things and need me to restore tables from backup - will require a forum outage so I will look to that overnight (and may not be tonight as I have day stuff to do and need sleep)

"The first 90% of the work takes the first 90% of the time ... the final 10% of the work takes the second 90% of the time" ... and so it seems in sorting out character sets. 

* At present, new posts and personal messages with smart quotes and pound signs are being saved with "?" characters in their place.  Old posts render with damaged characters.  However, the underlying old data appears to be AOK.

* In looking to fix the issue, the server barfed at looking to run with the old data loaded onto it with settings changed and it looks like I need to reload not only the forum data, but other databases including the server management ones.  This effects other sites on the server and I'm not rushing into it tonight; present situation something to live with for a few days.

* Good news is that work on other sites on the new server yesterday loaded the databases and processor very heavily and it stood the loading without falling over.

* We store images in a database ... following image and attachment are "test" pieces to make sure I have not broken images in trying to accept special characters and in adding a work-around.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 05:54:11 by grahame » Logged

bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 08:24:23 »

Image not showing only faint outline rectangle. However when you reply the image appears in the topic summary. The Attachment is fine
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 08:59:55 »

Both appear normal now

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
bradshaw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2020, 09:01:30 »

Fine now
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2020, 12:06:31 »

Taunton?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2020, 12:08:02 »

Taunton?

Grin Grin Grin

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: