Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:22:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[64] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[59] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[58] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[52] Return of the BRUTE?
[36] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: traveline South East & Anglia is closing down  (Read 1283 times)
Surrey 455

View Profile
« on: September 13, 2020, 15:08:11 »

From the frontpage at http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk/
This website is closing
For over 20 years, this website has provided impartial travel advice using timetables compiled by all of the local transport authorities (County Councils and Unitary Authorities) in the region. The Bus Services Act of 2017 means that, by the end of 2020. it will be the bus operators' responsibility to make available timetable, fares and real-time location data. The Government expects "the market" (bus operators and internet information providers) to use the latest technological developments to give travel planning information to the travelling public.

Our website is rather dated now, and without funds to develop it with new facilities, and without enhancements to use the latest software developments, the decision has been taken to close it down. The closure was initially due to take place a year ago, and then at the end of March 2020. The rapidly changing data resulting from the Covid-19 outbreak provided a further extension.

This website's last day of operation will be Wednesday 23rd September, when our software contracts and hosting arrangements come to an end. Once our journey planner is taken off-line, this page will offer a number of alternative journey planning websites.

We will continue to provide data to the Traveline National Dataset as the transition to operators' data takes place.

Thank you to the many thousands of you that have found our website useful over the last 20 year

This is a shame as I have used it a lot. It has been very useful because I can plan journeys involving train, bus, tube etc nationwide. The main selling point for me was that I could specify how long I was able to walk between points. By specifying a walk of up to 60 minutes I could get to a different station or bus stop and arrive at my destination earlier than Google Maps suggestions which only allows a maximum walking time of 30 minutes.

Planning an early morning journey from home to Bournemouth last year, Traveline suggested I walk 35 minutes to the TfL» (Transport for London - about) bus stop, bus to Surbiton, train to Woking, train to Bournemouth.  Google suggested leaving later so I could catch  the first train of the day from Bookham to Guildford, train to Woking, train to Bournemouth. By following traveline I got to Bournemouth about an hour earlier than had i followed Google maps suggestion.

In the last year it has not fared too well. It struggled with accurate data when the SWR» (South Western Railway - about) strikes were on and similarly when the train services were cut at the start of the Covid lockdown by suggesting direct trains that I knew were not running or were partly replacement bus services.

I will now need to find a replacement that allows 60 minutes walking.

RIP traveline SE.
CyclingSid
Data Manager

Hockley viaduct

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2020, 06:59:41 »

Likewise I am not convinced the "commercial" providers are up to the same standard.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2020, 08:34:19 »

From the frontpage at http://www.travelinesoutheast.org.uk/
This website is closing ...

I will now need to find a replacement that allows 60 minutes walking.

https://www.traveline.info ... a much more modern look, and you can set walking speed and maximum walking distance and in combination they may give you what you want.  A thought / caution, though ... are the two Traveline sites based on the same data set and with the same team ... so is there a question over the future of the .info site too?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 00:10:03 »

https://www.traveline.info ... a much more modern look, and you can set walking speed and maximum walking distance and in combination they may give you what you want.  A thought / caution, though ... are the two Traveline sites based on the same data set and with the same team ... so is there a question over the future of the .info site too?

I'm not sure. I did once compare traveline.info with the SE and SW versions and received different route suggestions from each.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2021, 20:18:53 »

And now Traveline West Midlands is closing. It was a clone of the South East version.

http://www.travelinemidlands.co.uk/

As our web site is now rather dated and with insufficient funds to develop it, we have with great reluctance decided that as of Thursday September 30th 2021 this web site will close.

The Bus Services Act of 2017 means that it is now the responsibility of bus operators to make available timetable, fares and real-time location data, and the Government expects bus operators and internet information providers to use the latest technological developments to provide travel planning information to the travelling public. We will continue to provide data to the Traveline National Dataset as the transition to operators' own data takes place.

Thank you to the many thousands of you who have found our website useful over the last 20 years.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2021, 10:40:19 »

I would like to think that the availability of open data will encourage small bus-planning sites.

Certainly the growth of small rail sites has been a success story over the past few years: there's a lot of sites on the "hobbyist to cottage industry" spectrum, things like RealTimeTrains, OpenTrainTimes, Raildar, BRTimes/BRFares, etc. etc.

In theory you could set up something Traveline-like by taking the open data and feeding it into OpenTripPlanner. OTP is production-level software - it was initially developed by the TriMet transport authority in Portland, Oregon, and is now used all over the world.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: