Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 18:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:20 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:18 Newbury to London Paddington
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
17:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 18:36:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Returning to holidays and leisure trips - but UK or overseas?  (Read 10629 times)
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2020, 12:13:58 »

And finally alcohol and food prices have been mentioned as a DISINCENTIVE to UK (United Kingdom) holidays. There will be calls to reduce alcohol prices in particular. There might be an admission that drinkers have been overfleeced.
Beer in particular now costs nearly TWENTY times the price I paid when first of drinking age in 1978. Wages have of course increased also, but not to the same extent. Time to reduce beer duty ? "Holiday in the UK ! Enjoy a pint or two of locally brewed beer at the new REDUCED PRICE "

I wouldn't hold your breath.

The Government (rightly) is very unlikely to do anything which is seen as encouraging even more alcohol consumption given the damage and cost already incurred to health & society by boozing - it's the same argument as tobacco duty and always an easy one to justify & slip through an increase. 

Additionally, how would you propose the Government make up the lost revenue? (I might even say, Booooooooooooze gonna pay for it?)  Wink

Even prior to the Covid crisis, UK pubs and bars were finding themselves in severe difficulties due, to large degree, the tax inflated cost of the drinks they were selling and lower supermarket drinks prices.  Lowering the huge tax duty for pubs, bars and licenced eateries (but not supermarkets etc) could go some way to addressing the problem and provide a stimulus to an important part of the nation's economy which would offset the loss of tax revenue. It also can be argued that drinking relatively cheap supermarket alcohol in at home can be more detrimental to the nation's health than in a communal environment.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2020, 14:57:00 »

Even prior to the Covid crisis, UK (United Kingdom) pubs and bars were finding themselves in severe difficulties due, to large degree, the tax inflated cost of the drinks they were selling and lower supermarket drinks prices.  Lowering the huge tax duty for pubs, bars and licenced eateries (but not supermarkets etc) could go some way to addressing the problem and provide a stimulus to an important part of the nation's economy which would offset the loss of tax revenue. It also can be argued that drinking relatively cheap supermarket alcohol in at home can be more detrimental to the nation's health than in a communal environment.

Just to be clear the alcohol duty is the same regardless of where it is sold. However, I assume pubs end up paying more in other taxes(?)

So you are looking to reduce alcohol duty in pubs to offset this?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2020, 15:42:27 »

Just to be clear the alcohol duty is the same regardless of where it is sold. However, I assume pubs end up paying more in other taxes(?)

A pint can of beer, 5% alcohol, actual cost as it reaches a shelf, 80p

If that shelf is in a supermarket, 30p markup, 10p beer tax, 24p VAT (Value Added Tax), sale price 1.44.

If that shelf is being the bar at the Queen's Arms, add cost of staff / service / premises (typically material cost it trippled), so that's 2.40 + 10p beer tax, 50p VAT, and a pint that you'll pay 3 quid for.

Tax - 34p in the supermarket, 60p in the pub.
Service charge 30p in the supermarket, 160p in the pub.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2020, 16:21:07 »

Well I?m not exactly renowned for dragging threads back on topic but I?ll have a go this time  Grin

One thing that crossed my mind is that we have all (me included) missed the fact that not all holidays are of the bucket and spade variety.

Foreign tourists don?t come to the UK (United Kingdom) for the good weather; they come for other reasons such as sightseeing. They won?t see Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle or Stratford on Avon in their own countries, so they have to o to where these things are. Similarly if you want to see the leaning tower of Pisa there?s precious little point in going to Winchester.

Whilst some alternatives are available eg if you want to see lakes and mountains there are plenty not far from Windermere, but if you want to see Swiss lakes and mountains then you only have one option of a country to go to. But I?m not too sure that going to see the Archbishop of Westminster is a good enough substitute for going to St Peters Square...

I somehow doubt whether that sort of international tourism is going to be a thing of the past post-COVID

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 19:57:23 »

If I were in charge, that is exactly what I would do.
I would reduce the duty on draught* beer, cider and similar drinks, which would also reduce the environmental harm resulting from the careless disposal of cans and bottles.

*To avoid attempts at evasion, "draught" would have be carefully defined, I would suggest the following.
If a product is to benefit from the lower duty rate applicable to draught products, then all the following conditions must be satisfied.
1) The drink must be supplied in reusable containers with a minimum capacity of 40 liters.
2) These containers must be of durable construction and designed to last for at least 200 round trips.
3) If these containers are supplied to anyone other than a licensed bar, then a deposit of at least ?25 must be charged.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2020, 20:02:43 »

Even prior to the Covid crisis, UK (United Kingdom) pubs and bars were finding themselves in severe difficulties due, to large degree, the tax inflated cost of the drinks they were selling and lower supermarket drinks prices.  Lowering the huge tax duty for pubs, bars and licenced eateries (but not supermarkets etc) could go some way to addressing the problem and provide a stimulus to an important part of the nation's economy which would offset the loss of tax revenue. It also can be argued that drinking relatively cheap supermarket alcohol in at home can be more detrimental to the nation's health than in a communal environment.

Pubs, bars and restaurants, yes. I've heard it suggested before and I think it has sufficient merit to be considered.  Make these establishment more competitive by making the cost of going out to them more affordable.  The social and economic benefits can, off course, be reviewed over time but I can see the merits of at least giving it a go.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2020, 20:10:33 by johnneyw » Logged
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2020, 20:07:44 »

I would also reduce the duty charged on beer and cider in standardized, deposit charged, returnable bottles, subject to the following conditions.

1) The bottles must be of a standard type, fully interchangeable between different suppliers.
2) Made of recycled dark colored glass.
3) Only 3 sizes to be permitted, 275ml, 550ml, and 1 liter.
4) These bottles to be supplied in returnable crates, these may coloured as desired but must be a standard design, intended to withstand at least 200 round trips.
5) A deposit of 25 pence for the two smaller sizes, and 50 pence for the larger size, and five pounds per empty crate to be charged.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2020, 20:22:19 »

Pubs, bars and restaurants, yes. I've heard it suggested before and I think it has sufficient merit to be considered.  Make these establishment more competitive by making the cost of going out to them more affordable.  The social and economic benefits can, off course, be reviewed over time but I can see the merits of at least giving it a go.

Given the state of our City Centres on any given Thursday/Friday/Saturday at around midnight, pubs and bars certainly seem to be quite affordable enough.

I'll let others consider the "social and economic benefits", of UK alcohol consumption and whether it should be further encouraged by lower prices -  perhaps the medical profession and the Police would be a good starting point?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2019/may/15/britons-get-drunk-more-often-than-35-other-nations-survey-finds

- we do not have a cafe society like France or many other countries, the British tend to binge drink, and whilst I enjo y an ale myself, I'm not sure it should be encouraged by the State - I think there are worthier causes for fiscal favouritism.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2020, 20:35:10 »

Fair comment TG although myself and many of my friends and acquaintances would go out to bars and restaurants far more often if it were more affordable without necessarily ending up in a fight or indulging in anti social activity....all of the time. 😁
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2020, 20:46:30 »

I would reduce prices as earlier described, but also have a bit more law enforcement.
I doubt that my proposed reductions in prices of draught and SOME bottled beer would make the herds of young drunks much worse. I think that they mainly drink spirits and trendy imported bottled beers. Neither would be reduced in price under my proposals.
Neither would port.

broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2020, 23:59:36 »

For the foreseeable future, there will be a demand for overseas holidays for the reasons given of visiting historic places or hoping  to see a particular person.

However a lot of holidays are primarily for sun, sea, sand and booze. Such breaks COULD be taken in the UK (United Kingdom) and some more  WOULD be taken in the UK if travel was easier, and refreshment was cheaper.

Rail travel is seen as hugely complicated, and very expensive. Look at some of the threads on this forum regarding the validity or not of certain tickets.
No such complications for a package holiday to Spain. Advertised at a certain price, pay this price and off you go.
Split ticketing ? not needed.

MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2021, 23:03:15 »

Well, a year now since my last train travel, seems an odd thing to do now, like going to a pub, today I went inside a chip shop for the first time since face coverings were required!
there are some places I would like to go on paper, but still have doughts about mixing with strangers.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2021, 14:03:38 »

Given the state of our City Centres on any given Thursday/Friday/Saturday at around midnight, pubs and bars certainly seem to be quite affordable enough.

Sorry I'm late. If you can't afford a drink, you're just not thirsty enough.

Well, a year now since my last train travel, seems an odd thing to do now, like going to a pub, today I went inside a chip shop for the first time since face coverings were required!
there are some places I would like to go on paper, but still have doughts about mixing with strangers.

I did go into a pub for dinner with the family during the "Eat out to help spread out phase, but public transport has managed without me for a year. It's going to be odd.

Now, please!
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2021, 05:19:41 »

Her Majesty's Government (HMG), have recently announced the availability of grants to coastal towns, in order to encourage tourism within the UK (United Kingdom).
The minor sounding measure of permitting marquees etc in pub gardens for longer than 28 days will be helpful, as will be the crackdown on dodgy and borderline illegal parking firms.

For reasons already given, UK holidays are not to everyones taste, but these measures will hopefully encourage a bit more use of UK holiday resorts.

The message is to be that the "UK IS OPEN FOR HOLIDAYS" Soon even if not just yet.

Hopefully "the railway" will play its part by running a full service of full length trains to holday resorts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56461675

Edit:VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: March 20, 2021, 09:30:43 by VickiS » Logged

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2021, 16:31:47 »

Hopefully "the railway" will play its part by running a full service of full length trains to holday resorts.

Yes indeed.  It comes as a great relief that Cornwall now has the capacity for the 30-minute frequency of service on the main line west of Plymouth.  That could be very important if the worsening situation in mainland Europe keeps people holidaying within the UK (United Kingdom) for at least part of the summer.

IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly) there were adjustments to the IET (Intercity Express Train) diagrams last summer to provide more full-length trains when it was at its busiest in Cornwall, and that might need to happen again this summer and perhaps be developed further.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: