Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
* How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
07:48 London Paddington to Swansea
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 10:57:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[182] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[70] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[44] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[24] CrossCountry upgrade will see 25% more rail seats

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: When does a thread become stale?  (Read 4364 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 17, 2020, 06:46:20 »

I notice a tendency to resurrect old threads, such as this one, where nothing has been posted for a few months, and I'm not sure of the merits of reopening a discussion on threads which appeared to have drawn to a natural conclusion, unless of course there has been some new information that would trigger it.   

Our server generates this message:
Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.
and always has done ... an acknowledegement of the often-poor merits of adding to a conversation on a thread that has faded from contributions many months, or year, ago.

The alert principle is (I have found for me) a good one - warning me that I am may be restarting something that has gone stale, but not preventing at any point the re-opening of a thread and linking together topics into a story over the years as a topic such as Stonehouse (Bristol Road) re-ignites. But I do wonder about the 120 days - set back in 2007 as the default the forum software came with; those were days when things didn't feel as fast-changing and the forum was new and not all that initially active.

It's advise only ... I am NOT proposing locking topics after "n" days of inactivity ... but how would members feel about changing that 120 day number as a guidance?  What would you think of (say) 45 days - or 42 as a tipping of the hat to Douglas Adams?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2020, 08:39:03 »

I think the 120-day reminder is about right.

Given how slowly some railway developments progress, I think it is essential to be able to reanimate old threads. Otherwise we'd have literally dozens of 'Portishead reopening' threads, rather than having it mostly in one place.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
rogerw
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 08:51:47 »

I agree that the 120 day reminder is about right.

I like to travel.  It lets me feel I'm getting somewhere.
Marlburian

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 10:11:03 »

I think the 120-day reminder is about right.

Given how slowly some railway developments progress, I think it is essential to be able to reanimate old threads. Otherwise we'd have literally dozens of 'Portishead reopening' threads, rather than having it mostly in one place.

I agree. I've had the 120-day warning several times, considered it, and usually gone ahead and added to the old thread, sometimes to add something new to the discussion or because my contribution fits neatly under the thread title.

It's not entirely comparable, but in the Great War Forum we often get new members asking a question that has been answered in one or more threads over the years. Sometimes I give links to the previous discussions (some as old as 2005!) to save the same info being given all over again.
Robin Summerhill
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 10:33:53 »

or 42 as a tipping of the hat to Douglas Adams?

If you're thinking of Douhlas Adams might I remind you of how long Marvin was waiting in the car park at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe Wink
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 10:40:32 »

Agreed - it is vital that threads can normally be woken up again by anyone ... there are a considerable number of appropriate times.

The warning at 120 days is a strong one; I will leave it at the level.  I could add an extra (more gentle) message such as "This topic has not been posted in for a xx days" without any "reconsider" for periods (say) over a week but under the 120 days.    Personally I would find that to be a useful reminder to hep me reset context as I write ... if I get a series of "please no" posts following this up, though, I'll drop the idea.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 10:41:18 »

or 42 as a tipping of the hat to Douglas Adams?

If you're thinking of Douhlas Adams might I remind you of how long Marvin was waiting in the car park at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe Wink

I'll bet his parking bill was phenomenal ...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 11:00:14 by grahame » Logged

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 11:38:24 »

Where a thread is what might be termed 'informational' I think it's more appropriate to add to a pre-existing thread, however old, rather than start a new one. Red Squirrel's example of 'Portishead reopening' is a good example. Where it's a thread like 'Where was I last Sunday' then it's probably better to start your own thread. And then there are the ongoing drip-feed threads such as 'IET (Intercity Express Train) experiences'.

Put simply ? and this is the point, I suppose, of the 120 day warning ? 'If I post this here, is anyone likely to read it and respond to it?'

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 13:47:31 »

I consider that the present arrangement is fine.

BTW (by the way), I am a member of another forum (not rail related) in which threads are locked after a certain time. This is IMHO (in my humble opinion) a poor choice as numerous threads get started on the same subject.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2020, 14:48:15 »

I consider that the present arrangement is fine.

BTW (by the way), I am a member of another forum (not rail related) in which threads are locked after a certain time. This is IMHO (in my humble opinion) a poor choice as numerous threads get started on the same subject.

There is ... no way ... that topics are going to be automatically locked after a certain time.  Many thanks to everyone for confirming my feelings on that one.  I had a quick look at the databases and of 21,276 threads only 288 are locked - the low number a sign of the good manners and sense of our membership.  Often, the lock was put on when the same subject was being discussed twice, but threads would not have easily merged.

75 threads (out of the 21,276) are "sticky" / "pinned" and I keep an eye on the informational ones there - such as the forum welcome at http://gwr.passenger.chat/1761 keep them all on one page.  17 out of the 75 sticky threads are locked - some providing links to associated discussion threads. 

Put simply ? and this is the point, I suppose, of the 120 day warning ? 'If I post this here, is anyone likely to read it and respond to it?'

I don't think that's the reason ... as a new post on an old thread brings that thread up to the top of the listings, the new post appears in "Recent Posts", etc.      I think it's mainly done to alert people who find an old thread through search and are about to start sharing stale news thinking it's new.   Many of us have shared something on Facebook just to realise late it was last year's news.

I remain tempted to put a little "most recent post on this thread was xxx days ago" message up on old but not stale posts ...

Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 19:22:56 »

I'll bet his parking bill was phenomenal ...

He was the car park attendant parking cars. Or more accurately, spaceships.

So no parking bill for him.
Celestial
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 22:02:23 »

I guess as the poster who raised the issue, it's appropriate for me to explain further my point. It's good to see that it has raised some discussion -  thank you for that.

The poster in question has, IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly), on more than one occasion, suddenly issued a flurry of posts about old subjects. Not because there has been any new information (to pick up on the surfboard comment that I think broadgage raised), but just because they've obviously been having a bit of a trawl through. Where there's something new to discuss it's completely appropriate to bring an old thread back to life.

I'm not advocating any change to forum policy - goodness, far be it for me to do that.  It just felt a bit inappropriate to trawl through and then fire off a series of posts on long dormant threads. A bit like reopening a discussion in the pub with a group of friends when the conversation had moved on two hours ago.
MVR S&T
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 22:20:09 »

I thought the surfboard thread was commented on because of:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-54162329

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2020, 09:04:07 »

The Coffee Shop ... philosophy ... is to welcome everyone and that included guests, new members, and members who only pop in from time to time.  We welcome those who join us at the pub table, but perhaps doze off or have to take a call that pulls them away from the conversation for periods.  Sure, at times those of us in the core group have to fill the others in, but it's very worthwhile in terms of the future, and it gives us the opportunity to "checkpoint" ourselves and learn different approaches. Personally, very happy to do a big share of the filling in; I suppose that was my working life, enjoying informing and training people on some quite complex topics.

The Melksham Rail User Group meeting on Wednesday was an "interesting" one ( I won't go into detail here ) but one of the great points was the newcomers - people along on Zoom for the first time and catching up on local public transport news.  And for sure they helped make it "interesting" and time was taken to make sure things worked for them. I know that they'll be back on 18th November; in one case I know he'll need similar support again but that's a price worth paying, a somewhat minor irritant, and who's time taken can be mitigated by another member supporting him.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2020, 13:56:27 »

How about 125 days as a hat tip to the venerable HST (High Speed Train)Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: