Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:35 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:35:56 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Ashley Down Survey Closes: November 01, 2020
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: New station at Ashley Down, Bristol  (Read 29573 times)
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2021, 19:13:14 »

Eagle-eyed Carol Durrant of FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site) spotted this in the planning pack:

As a result of the additional trains to service the Proposed Development, the predicted increase in noise is approximately 1 dB during the day and night periods. This increase in sound is predominantly due to the full power operation of the diesel locomotive which forms part of the Class 255 train as it pulls away from the station. This change in level is classified as ‘negligible’ under the criteria used on the most current rail projects in the UK (United Kingdom).

They wouldn't, presumably, be planning to use 'Castles' out to Henbury. Maybe they're thinking of Bristol-Gloucester trains?

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2021, 20:00:52 »

Class 255 trains

What are these?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2021, 20:04:01 »

Class 255 trains

What are these?

"Castles" to you.  Grin

From Wikipedia

Present
Great Western Railway's short formed HST (High Speed Train) sets have been designated the Class 255 Castle classification, though this is not a TOPS (Total Operations Processing System) classification as they are still InterCity 125 trains

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
froome
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2021, 22:45:50 »

I always wondered why Ashley Down was two words but Totterdown only one. But given the acronym that would result if it were called Ashleydown, perhaps it's for the better.

Totter Down would be the better name, especially for anyone trying to walk down any of the roads that descend the ridiculously steep hill between Wells Road and Bath Road.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2021, 23:33:11 »

Happened past the site of the future Ashley Down station this afternoon.  It looked as if there has been some vegetation clearance recently as nothing much seems to have grown back so far.  Perhaps more interestingly, there also seem to be a couple of small blue items protruding from the cleared ground set in fairly new looking concrete as in the picture that I took below.
The closer blue object is a tubular shape while the rather more distant one is rectangular.  I've no idea what, if anything, this might have to do with the new station but I thought it might interesting enough to post here.
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2021, 17:46:25 »

Looks to me like an inspection cover that gives access to a small well or borehole. Probably too small to be a useful water source, more likely to be for survey purposes in order that the height of the water table table may be ascertained.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2021, 20:38:04 »

Looks to me like an inspection cover that gives access to a small well or borehole. Probably too small to be a useful water source, more likely to be for survey purposes in order that the height of the water table table may be ascertained.

Thanks broadgage, that would make sense.  I recall that less than exhaustive ground water surveys were one of the reasons that Bristol Portway P&R (Park and Ride) station was (still is) delayed so hopefully there won't be a repeat here.
Perhaps the more distant protrusion has a related function but it does look clearly different close up being rectangular in shape.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2021, 23:04:50 »

Well spotted - the two shown do look very like this:

These are from a company called MGS, are described as well covers, and come in several sizes from 100 cm up. No doubt there are other makers, though perhaps not using that fetching shade of blue. Groundwater monitoring boreholes would be a typical use. The round ones are steel and the square ones aluminium alloy - why you'd want one of each isn't obvious, though it might be as simple as to identify two different kinds of borehole.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2021, 19:48:20 »

Many thanks for that stuving, those illustrations rather confirm it.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2022, 16:05:56 »

Some good news I think.  I've just received the notification below as an email attachment concerning approval for the reopening of Ashley Down Station by Bristol City Council.

Dear Sir/Madam
Notification of Decision
Application No. 21/03523/RA
Site Address: Former Ashley Down Railway Station Station Lane Bristol BS7 9LB
Following your comments about the above application, I can inform you that the proposal
was considered under delegated powers on 7 July 2022, and the decision was as follows:
Prior Approval GIVEN.
A copy of the officer report and the decision notice with any conditions attached, can now be
viewed from our website.
If you require any further information about this application, please contact us.
Yours faithfully
Development Management
Bristol City Council
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2022, 08:20:20 »

Some good news I think.  I've just received the notification below as an email attachment concerning approval for the reopening of Ashley Down Station by Bristol City Council.

Hopefully, this link will take you to the planning application start page:
https://pa.bristol.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=QVERYKDNMMN00

The accompanying documents show that the station will use the western two lines, the slow or relief as you like. The buildings will be of the enhanced bus shelter type. It will give Station Road a station, something which I think will be unique among the Station Roads in the area. There will be a rather imposing footbridge with lifts, something that I would anticipate being the most contentious part of the structure with nearby residents, although parking will also be mentioned. The first works will see the removal of the remaining bits of the former platforms. Station Road will be the access for works vehicles that can't come and go by rail.

The renders show the usual idyllic scenes of empty spaces, trees, occasional bicycle, with happy people looking at phones rather than the sunlit uplands. They are missing the mixed race couples with 2.4 children and representations of various genders beloved by Bristol City Council, but they obviously did the trick. There are no public comments.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 09:29:06 by TonyK » Logged

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2022, 14:07:15 »

It will give Station Road a station, something which I think will be unique among the Station Roads in the area.
Grin Grin

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2022, 16:02:42 »

...It will give Station Road a station, something which I think will be unique among the Station Roads in the area...

Now you wouldn't expect me to let that go unchallenged, would you?

By my reckoning Bristol has 15 Station Roads.

The nearest to Station Road, Ashley Down is in Montpelier, 1.5 km to the south-west. That leads to Montpelier Station, which is very much open.

Station Road, Filton is just under 3.5 km to the north. This was named after Filton (Junction) Station, which is no more, but it leads reasonably well to the station at Filton Abbey Wood which replaced it.

Fishponds, 3.5 km to the east, has a Station Road along with a New Station Road and a New Station Way. The latter opened long after the station closed. Given that it occupies the site of Fishponds Station, it would perhaps would have been better named 'Old Station Way'!

Patchway Station, 4 km north of Ashley Down and open, is served by another Station Road.

Henbury has a Station Road, about 5 km from Ashley Down. There is a plan to open a new station near here, but it will be over 400m away from Station Road. Arguably this could confuse some!

5 km to the south is Station Road, Brislington. No station here!

The closed station at Staple Hill, 5.5 km to the east, was served by a Station Road

Shirehampton's Station Road is just over 7 km west of Ashley Down, and leads to another open station.

Station Road at Pill, a little further to the west and over the River Avon, will hopefully soon lead to a station.

A similar distance in the opposite direction, Warmley's Station Road leads to quite a pleasant station, but it's rather unlikely to see another train.

Keynsham's Station Road, 9 km to the south-east, leads to a busy main line station.

Don't get me started about Station Road, Portishead - 13 km to the west. Suffice to say that a new Portishead Station will be some way away from here.

Further afield, Coalpit Heath and Winterbourne also have Station Roads. There are no current plans to reopen either station, though FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site) would like to see Coalpit Heath reopened.

So 5 of Bristol's Station Roads currently lead to stations still served by trains; 2 more will be served once MetroWest is complete. In addition, 2 Station Roads will not serve a station because it has been moved from its original location.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2022, 16:14:36 »

...It will give Station Road a station, something which I think will be unique among the Station Roads in the area...

Now you wouldn't expect me to let that go unchallenged, would you?

By my reckoning Bristol has 15 Station Roads.

The nearest to Station Road, Ashley Down is in Montpelier, 1.5 km to the south-west. That leads to Montpelier Station, which is very much open.

Station Road, Filton is just under 3.5 km to the north. This was named after Filton (Junction) Station, which is no more, but it leads reasonably well to the station at Filton Abbey Wood which replaced it.

Fishponds, 3.5 km to the east, has a Station Road along with a New Station Road and a New Station Way. The latter opened long after the station closed. Given that it occupies the site of Fishponds Station, it would perhaps would have been better named 'Old Station Way'!

Patchway Station, 4 km north of Ashley Down and open, is served by another Station Road.

Henbury has a Station Road, about 5 km from Ashley Down. There is a plan to open a new station near here, but it will be over 400m away from Station Road. Arguably this could confuse some!

5 km to the south is Station Road, Brislington. No station here!

The closed station at Staple Hill, 5.5 km to the east, was served by a Station Road

Shirehampton's Station Road is just over 7 km west of Ashley Down, and leads to another open station.

Station Road at Pill, a little further to the west and over the River Avon, will hopefully soon lead to a station.

A similar distance in the opposite direction, Warmley's Station Road leads to quite a pleasant station, but it's rather unlikely to see another train.

Keynsham's Station Road, 9 km to the south-east, leads to a busy main line station.

Don't get me started about Station Road, Portishead - 13 km to the west. Suffice to say that a new Portishead Station will be some way away from here.

Further afield, Coalpit Heath and Winterbourne also have Station Roads. There are no current plans to reopen either station, though FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site) would like to see Coalpit Heath reopened.

So 5 of Bristol's Station Roads currently lead to stations still served by trains; 2 more will be served once MetroWest is complete. In addition, 2 Station Roads will not serve a station because it has been moved from its original location.

So apart from those five Station Roads, it will be unique.  Grin

I'm not going to try to weasel out of my mistake by arguing that two are in S Glos, one in whatever distant land Keynsham forms part of, and leading to an old station nowhere near an open platform shouldn't count, because I have been caught with my pants down, and am not Boris Johnson. I am indebted to my friend for the correction.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2022, 17:19:40 »

On this occasion I chose to define 'Bristol' as the area covered by the Geographer's A-Z Map Company's 'Premier Map of Bristol', 2015 edition.

Why, you might ask, would an old computer bod like Redny McSquirrel resort to such an analogue technique? Well I didn't find Google Maps at all helpful in this instance - rather than give me a list of Station Roads, it just highlighted the one it thought I might find most interesting. Odd coves, these algorithms... The A-Z, on the other hand, has an index which lists every street. Just the job... except that, oddly, it indicated a Station Road in St Annes Park. A beer to anyone who can tell locate it for me! I concluded that it was a Trap Street.

I suppose I could have called Endex quite early on, given that the nearest Station Road leads to an active station... but it was fun checking out the others.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 17:44:11 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: