Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 13:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:42 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 13:26:11 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Ashley Down Survey Closes: November 01, 2020
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: New station at Ashley Down, Bristol  (Read 29568 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2022, 17:30:53 »

The A-Z, on the other hand, has an index which lists every street. Just the job... except that, oddly, it indicated a Station Road in St Annes Park. A beer to anyone who can tell locate it for me! I concluded that it was a Trap Street.

Since there was a St Anne's Park station, Station Road obviously led to it. It still exists, as a track now leading to a road-rail access point, and gated at the entrance off St Anne's Park Road.
johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2022, 13:17:17 »

The FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site) Facebook page have announced that prior planning permission for the station has been granted and that a business plan is being drafted for submission next January.  Still talk of commencement of building next year although fading hopes of a 2023 opening.  Here's the link:

https://www.facebook.com/582422715176528/posts/5483286268423457/?flite=scwspnss
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2022, 15:23:29 »

This from St Werburghs Community News Facebook page:

Things now seem to be happening around the proposed Ashley Down railway station. Here is a message from the Ashley Down Station Project Partnership

"We are contacting you about progress with the new railway station in Ashley Down, which will improve the public transport service in the area.

Our project partnership includes the West of England Combined Authority working with Bristol City Council, Network Rail, Great Western Railways and contractors BAM Nuttall. Works will be carried out by accredited contractors on behalf of Network Rail and Bristol City Council.

We are in the final stages of securing funding for the project and hope it will be confirmed by the end of January 2023. We will then be able to begin delivering a new railway station at Ashley Down, with construction set to take place between early 2023 and 2024.

This means we expect to start engineering works towards the end of February 2023.

Ahead of work starting, we’ve set up two online meetings in January so we can speak with local residents and stakeholders about the works.

The sessions are a chance for us to answer questions and for the project team to set out what the works will involve. Details of these events are below:

Session 1: Tuesday 31 January 2023 from 6.30pm to 8pm – book now [no link - Red Squirrel - maybe try https://travelwest.info/projects/ashley-down-station. ]

Session 2: Thursday 2 February 2023 from 6.30pm to 8pm – book now [no link - see above]

The construction of the new station, and improvements to public land surrounding the entrance to the station, will involve a temporary closure and diversion of a section of the Concorde Way walking and cycling route.

The new station is being funded by the West of England Combined Authority, in conjunction with Bristol City Council, South Gloucestershire Council and Bath & North-East Somerset Council as part of a wider programme of railway improvements funded by the West of England Combined Authority, known as MetroWest. This aims to improve connectivity, de-carbonise our transport network, and support economic growth across the region.

Following on from the consultation phase in 2020, we are keen to keep lines of communication open with you and local residents – both now as we prepare to start work in your area, and throughout the project.

In the meantime, you can find more information about the project at https://travelwest.info/projects/ashley-down-station.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Transport Engagement at Bristol City Council by emailing transport.engagement@bristol.gov.uk or phoning 0117 903 6449 and leaving a message on the answerphone.

Ashley Down Station Project Partnership"

I have renamed this thread to cover all aspects of the development of this station.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2022, 19:19:30 »

From the information link, this one had me puzzled:

By 2030 MetroWest 2 is expected to be remove 3 million kilometres from the road network, based on an average petrol car today this is equivalent to 500 tons of C02 each year.

I am surprised to hear that we have 3 million kilometres in the road network now.

But this is all good news and in the right direction, based on an average microwave oven being 750 Watts.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2023, 17:48:52 »

Construction of new railway station to begin early 2023

Construction work on a new train station in Bristol is due to begin early in 2023.

The station, at Ashley Down, will be between Temple Meads and Filton Abbey Wood, with services eventually running to the new YTL Arena in Filton.

It will be built on Station Road, just south of the Ashley Down allotments and should be completed in 2024.

The start date for the works should be announced next month at a West of England Combine Authority meeting.

The site used to be home to Ashley Hill Station, which closed in 1964 as part of the Beeching cuts, which saw roughly 5,000 miles of track closed and more than 2,300 stations axed in the 1960s, mainly in rural areas.

Ashley Down station is part of the MetroWest Phase 2 project, which will also see new train stations built at North Filton next to the new arena, and at Henbury.

These two stations have been hit by delays and the North Filton station is expected to open in 2026, said the Local Democracy Reporting Service.

Ashley Down Station is part of Phase 2 of the MetroWest public transport plan

Bristol mayor, Marvin Rees, said: "This will be the first time in almost 60 years that residents in the Ashley Down area will be able to catch trains locally, helping to better connect people to employment, education and leisure opportunities, while tackling congestion and pollution, and reducing social and economic isolation."

Green councillor, Lily Fitzgibbon, also welcomed the plans, but said a residential parking scheme should be brought in when the station opens.

"People from further out may use the residential streets around the station as a free park-and-ride, and so we will continue to put pressure on the administration for a residents' parking zone," she added.
Source: BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2023, 21:15:16 »

That map shows stations at Portishead and Pill. When I fell asleep on New Year's Eve, did I wake up in 2023 or 2099?

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2023, 11:26:33 »

Will the opening of Ashley Down station signal the start of half-hourly running to Yate and Gloucester, or is that dependent on something else?

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2023, 13:41:29 »

Will the opening of Ashley Down station signal the start of half-hourly running to Yate and Gloucester, or is that dependent on something else?

The official line is that services terminating at Filton Abbey Wood will call here, and that these services will be extended to Brabazon and Henbury when these stations open.

It would seem very sensible for a 2TPH Bristol - Gloucester service to stop at Ashley Down, but no-one is committing to that at the moment. Whether that service goes ahead in May 2023 is another question, what with the funding gap and potential lack of suitable units to run it.

TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2023, 16:22:20 »

The official line is that services terminating at Filton Abbey Wood will call here, and that these services will be extended to Brabazon and Henbury when these stations open.

It would seem very sensible for a 2TPH Bristol - Gloucester service to stop at Ashley Down, but no-one is committing to that at the moment. Whether that service goes ahead in May 2023 is another question, what with the funding gap and potential lack of suitable units to run it.

A shame. I have never thought much of the idea of trains terminating at Abbey Wood. I know a lot of the MoD staff get out there, but I am sure there are many who would happily catch a train there from Yate or Glos if only one was available. I would have thought the timing problems would have been sorted out to at least allow trains to terminate at Parkway by now.

Now, please!
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2023, 16:55:57 »

From Public Document Pack - Questions and Mayor's Responses Agenda Supplement for West of England Combined Authority Committee, 27/01/2023 13:00 (moderngov.co.uk):

5. Cllr Heather Mack, Councillor for Lockleaze

Question 1

When will the Ashley Down, North Filton and Henbury stations open and trains start running on the Henbury spur? What are the risks of these timelines being pushed back?

Response from Mayor Dan Norris:

The current programme shows a target date for Ashley Down Station to open in 2024 and North Filton and Henbury in 2026. As we know from local experience of building new railways over the decades, that delays are always possible and indeed likely in projects of this size and complexity. Passenger services on the Henbury Spur are planned to be introduced as soon as North Filton and Henbury stations have been built and are ready for operation. Once ready to open, Ashley Down station has been timetabled as a stop on the existing Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood hourly service. This service will subsequently be extended to Henbury.

It is essential that funding is agreed in January 2023 for Ashley Down Station so there is time to secure key materials which are on specific lead-times, such as station platform units, in time for them to be installed during a 16-day “blockade” of the railway in June 2023. Here we really are at spade in the ground stage!

North Filton and Henbury station projects, are only at outline design stage and remain subject to planning approval (which the West of England Combined Authority has no powers to speed up). Officers continue to work closely with adjacent developers to ensure that respective designs and construction programmes are integrated, so as to try to minimise delays.

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2023, 11:05:43 »

I attended an online drop-in session for neighbours of the new station last night, at which WECA» (West of England Combined Authority - about), NR» (Network Rail - home page), GWR (Great Western Railway) and Bristol City Council presented various aspects of the new station.

I'll put it down to post-COVID brain fog that it didn't occur to me to take screen grabs of the slides, so the following details are my best efforts at jotting down some key points.

Firstly, some dates:

27th Feb: Concorde Way cycle route to close between Mina Road and Muller Road. Work is apparently underway to resurface Boiling Wells Lane, which will act as a part of a diversionary route. This does however leave a 400m section where cyclists will be asked to dismount and walk along Muller Road. There seemed to be a vague hope that Bristol City Council might be able to improve on this! The closure is for an initial 6 months, but this is the maximum they can get in one go and they expect to need to extend it beyond that.

27th Feb: Site mobilisation. This will be daytime working, starting with piling which will start in March and finish in July. This will be done by auguring and grouting, so shouldn't be too noisy.

March - August: Install footbridge foundations.

3 - 19 June: Full blockade of relief lines. This is to allow some slewing of the track and installation of the platforms. The mains will continue running during this blockade, except for some overnight closures.

Late summer - Autumn: Mobilisation of public realm access works. These should complete by Summer 2024

Summer 2024: Station opens.

Some neighbours were concerned that parking was likely to be a problem. In response it was pointed out that this is to be a local station for local people (not their exact words; I paraphrase). Also there is a very large car park with, by then, a station right next to it at Porkway Park and Ride. Why would anyone scrat around Ashley Down looking for a parking space when they can easily park there?

Others didn't like the look of the station, saying it was 'a bit Minecraft'. There were also concerns about lighting, potential graffiti and noisy announcements. GWR pointed out that there will be CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision), and they'll keep an eye on graffiti...

Finally there was quite a lot of confusion and disappointment about the train service. A lot of people were hoping for direct trains to Bristol Parkway and other destinations.

Trains will run hourly during the day, half-hourly at the peak, between Bristol Temple Meads and Filton Abbey Wood. On Sundays the service may be provided by stopping some Cardiff trains.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2023, 17:14:31 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 22, 2023, 15:03:13 »

Site mobilisation is due to take place in a few days, so I thought I'd take a few 'before' pictures before things get rolling:

Station site seen from Station Road

Boiling Wells Lane. This closure is to allow the route to be upgraded as a diversion to Concorde Way

IET (Intercity Express Train) passes station site. Note passive provision for new platform between Mains (where the IET is) and Reliefs (foreground)

Ashley Down station subway. I can see why locals think graffiti might be an issue...

Works compound at Ashley Down station site, Station Lane

Ashley Down station site from Concorde Way, facing south. The bank beyond the walkers will be dug out to give more level access. 

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 22, 2023, 16:51:42 »

Works compound at Ashley Down station site, Station Lane

I'm loving the alternative take on hard hat and hi-vis.  Grin

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2023, 12:21:16 »

Good to their word, contractors have mobilised on site at Ashley Down today.

Had a nice chat with another forum member who was also there to check how they were doing. We cleared off fairly quickly though as there were a lot of busy-looking people in hi-viz about and we didn't want to get in the way.

Here's the site compound this morning, with a lot of coming and going down quite a narrow access lane:

johnneyw
Transport Scholar

From station to station, back to Bristol city....

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2023, 12:37:16 »

Yes, good to bump into you and have a quick chin-wag RS.
Here's one I took between various trucks and vans arriving and reversing out.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: